VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of fixing my automatic transmission, which is currently not engaging fourth (final) gear, I would like to swap it for a manual. I have a gut feeling I'd be better off swapping than fixing the automatic, as the general consensus (as well as personal experience) says VW automatics suck.
I know someone a while ago posted a list of the stuff that I needed, so if you can mention them again, cool. I'll be taking the car to my mechanic, who's done several swaps already.
To those of you who've done a swap (or had it done), have you had any issues/snafus? Clutch slipping, no gears, squeaking/rattling/loose pedals, etc.?
I'll be paying $1K for parts and labor. Fair?
Do all manual trannies have a dipstick? My automatic is the sealed type.
Look at it on the bright side: my car will be much more fun to drive now
Please reply! Thanks!

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Re: Questions: Transmission swap (Marcos Hedges)

i was gonna do this swap but decided to save up for a GLX instead, i think that this is all your need: transmission, clutch pedal assembly(you keep your current pedal cluster), clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, 5 spd axles, 5 spd ECU(only if you dont want a CEL), shifter assembly and linkage, clutch cable, a new coolant hose, 5 spd water inlet for the head, and a new speed sensor http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.