VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious, i used to own a 2002 a4, and was looking at a 1998 as a daily driver. its a 1.8T, and an automatic. front trak. how long do the turbos usually last in the B5? how good is the auto tranny?

thanks for the help http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,779 Posts
Re: questions... (CedDoc)

As long as you maintain the car, change the oil frequently with synthetic, and drive the car like it is a turbo (allowing the turbo to spool down after hard drives) then they seem to go a long ways towards the 200,000 km mark atleast. The Tiptronic transmission doesn't seem to be a real problem but like all automatic transmissions you must maintain them and at some point it will pack it in and need a rebuild. The friction surfaces inside are very thin so it doesn't take a long time for them to wear out. Personally I would avoid the FWD models, this car is really designed to be an AWD car and the motor is pretty much sitting in front of the centre line of the front tires so without the AWD they are kind of nose-heavy.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: questions... (AbsoluteNovice)

yeah i heard they are nose heavy on top gear..this car would be mainly to give my currently daily driver a rest. so i keep the miles down on it. im just wnating something better on gas. i found a nice a4 that is in the daily driver price range i want but im cautious about turbo cars..originally i was wanting a mk3 jetta as a daily driver..just wanted to see what most of you guys thought or ran into with yours...good points though..its uber hard to tell what a used car has been through...any tips?

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: questions... (AWCx)

no, it was about the newer RS4. but in it he mentions that in the past all audi's have the engines mounted way upfront. to give room inside...but that it made the cars feel like they had a big dead horse mounted to the radiator...or something like that..its the first one where they look over the RS4....good episode...sorry for the confusion
cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.