VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just double checking before i go rape the parts car again.
i have the small pad brakes with 9.4" solid rotors on my '79. the calipers bolt riectly to the steering knuckle. can i bolt on gti calipers and use its vented rotors/pads?
girlfriend has the digi camera in ney york, so you have to look at an old picture.

-j

· Registered
118 Posts
Re: quick brake question. (Muffler Bearing)

Quote, originally posted by Muffler Bearing »
just double checking before i go rape the parts car again.
i have the small pad brakes with 9.4" solid rotors on my '79. the calipers bolt riectly to the steering knuckle. can i bolt on gti calipers and use its vented rotors/pads?
-j

Hey there,
I did this conversion awhile back. You can indeed bolt on GTI Calipers (and carriers) onto the 79 without too much fuss. I had splash guards on my 79 that had to be bent out of the way (or removed) but everything fits pretty snugly otherwise. A caveat: when buying pads for new vented rotors, make sure you don't get the pads for the solid rotors, as they are too thick. Ask me how I know.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I think you might not even need new calipers or carriers. Many of the cars w/ 9.4s can take vented rotors as a straight swap, I don't know about your '79.
Ask specifically for '84 gti brake pads, otherwise like stated above, they'll screw up and give you the solid rotor pads. Get Ferodo Street pads, great pads for little $$.

· Registered
118 Posts
Re: (jimbilly)

Quote, originally posted by jimbilly »
I think you might not even need new calipers or carriers. Many of the cars w/ 9.4s can take vented rotors as a straight swap, I don't know about your '79.

Not sure, but I think he has the girly girlings, with the tiny pads and not the GTI bananas for the Kelsey-Hayes assemblies. I like the bananas, they are nature's perfect food.

· Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correct, i have girly girlings with little saltine crackers for pads right now. lookin to upgrade to bananas

and another little thing...
took one of the calipers off of the parts car and noticed that it has LOTS of play between itself and the 'carrier' i guess you could call it. then took off the other one and it had no play, so i took it apart to find out what part i need and it looks like someone just cut a couple peices of clear/white plastic and wrapped those around the bolts to keep it from rattling. i dont remember these being in any of the mk2's ive owned and this is the first rabbit ive pulled brakes off of... even though i have 3. is that was should really be in there?
thanks!
-j

Modified by Muffler Bearing at 4:50 AM 9-8-2005

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: (Muffler Bearing)

Those clear things are some sort of shims, and the dealership carries them for a couple of cents (they're not expensive at all). You shouldn't have any "loose" play on those calipers.
I did this exact swap to my 76 Rabbit and all I needed to remove from my 81 Jetta were the calipers and of course the discs.
Now I wish my problem with the steering rack was this simple to remedy (see my thread)

Modified by Carlitos at 9:35 PM 9-7-2005

· Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right on, ill pick some up.
but not from the dealership.
-j

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.