VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Just picked up my GTI a few hours ago. Dealership reassured me that the much-talked-about strut pucks had been removed (I checked with them more than 3 times) Turns out they were NOT removed. So, I decided to take a few photos to help others that end up running into this issue. It's a quick procedure, and there really is no excuse for dealerships to miss this kind of thing during PDI - especially when the customer explicitly points out that they need to be removed.

1. Lift one side of the car until the strut is fully extended. The pucks are under that plastic accordion cover inside the spring.

2. Carefully lift the plastic cover to reveal the strut pucks. You can see the first and second one in this picture. There were a total of 3 per side on my car. Simply pull them out - they should come right out with little effort.

3. This is what they look like once removed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello everyone. Just picked up my GTI a few hours ago. Dealership reassured me the much-talked-about strut pucks had been removed (I checked with them about 3 times), Turns out they were NOT removed, so I decided to take a few photos to help others that end up running into this issue. It's a quick procedure, and there really is no excuse for dealerships to miss this kind of thing during PDI - especially when the customers explicitly points out that they need to be removed. Anyway:

1. Lift one side of the car until the strut is fully extended. The pucks are under that plastic accordion cover inside the spring.

2. Carefully lift the plastic cover to reveal the strut pucks. You can see the first and second one in this picture. There were a total of 3 on my car. Simply pull them out - they should slide right out.

3. This is what they look like once removed.

Can you tell what is the benefits of having them removed?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not a question of if they should be removed. They need to be removed. They are not intended for driving on, only for shipping purposes. Drive on these for a couple thousand miles and you'll ruin your suspension
Absolutely agree. The ride was just awful before removing those pucks. It ride beautifully now. Very supple but with crisp handling characteristics. The progressive steering is my favorite aspect of the car so far. Turn in is immediately...way too much fun! Spent the last few hours detailing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question for you Roger on the tail lights. Does the entire assembly light up at night (both L's)? Or just the outer. If it's just the outer that is really ****ed up, and will definitely be getting LED's.
Both L shapes light up when the headlights are turned on. Outers serve as brake and signals as well. Will work on fitting my LEDs tomorrow morning.

Also worth noting is license plate lighting isnt LED. So that'll be replaced.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
Both L shapes light up when the headlights are turned on. Outers serve as brake and signals as well. Will work on fitting my LEDs tomorrow morning.

Glad you got the car sooner rather than later. Quick, do that LED writeup! ;)

·
Banned
4,731 Posts

Great thanks. I think I'll keep the standard tails then. I think they look great. Shame about the license plate lighting though. Those were LED on the mk6 surprised they went a step backward like that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
517 Posts
Roger, congrats on your new car! Thanks for this great info. In 2011 I test drove a Mk VI GTI that felt very harsh. I asked about this then and was told they were taken off. The next day the salesman called me back and said they were on and to go back and re-test. Too many dealers have very shoddy practices. As Chilcoot sates, how many will be sold with the pucks in place and I'll add how many MkVI's are out there with them?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roger, congrats on your new car! Thanks for this great info. In 2011 I test drove a Mk VI GTI that felt very harsh. I asked about this then and was told they were taken off. The next day the salesman called me back and said they were on and to go back and re-test. Too many dealers have very shoddy practices. As Chilcoot sates, how many will be sold with the pucks in place and I'll add how many MkVI's are out there with them?
Thanks man.

Yeah, it's concerning. There is a TSB out for this exact issue, but my dealerships was clueless about everything MK7. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.