VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine bought a 2001 vr6 off ebay. He took the car and the motor to a shop where it sat for ever while the shop played a little grab a$$. The outcome is them saying that he needs a stand alone to have to motor operate correctly in his gti. What would be the reasoning for this. Is the 2001 vr6 drive by wire? Or what. Im a 8v guy so this VR6 talk is greek to me. I just dont want my friend to get screwed over. So basicly my question is will a 2001 vr6 be able to function properly or at all with out a stand alone! Help me out guys i know you all know the answer to this....thanks alot
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re: Quick question on a VR swap into a 90 gti (Grunchen)

I'm not quite sure if it's a drive by wire but I think it is. A buddy of mine and I did a 2001 1.8t swap into a g60 corrado and used the drive by wire stuff, (i.e. ecu, accelerator pedal), but we did have problems with the immobilizer and the tach since we were using the corrado instrument cluster. We had to have a chip done to remove the immobilizer and bought a black box from momentum to make the tach work.
It's definitely possible but more work than if you were to swap from a car, like a corrado, passat b3, or an A3 with central electric II into the gti.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Quick question on a VR swap into a 90 gti (AnotherA2VR6)

Hmm. I knew that the 1.8t was drive by wire, but i am still not sure on the vr. He has the accelerator pedal assembly and ecu. He wants to stick with this motor because it only has 45 miles on it. I am hoping to find someone on tex that has done a swap with a newer vr6. If you know anyone please have them post on my thread. Thanks

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
You'll probably get better responses in the "Hybrid/Swap Forum" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts