VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to move my car that im swapping a tranny in. Is it ok, to put the wheels back on and lower the car without the driveshafts? Im worried that there may be too much weight on the hub and might bend or break it. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Re: Quick Question (porterave)

The inner race of the wheel bearing is split, and the outer CV joint spined section and nut holds the bearing together. If you roll the car around without the axle bolted through the hub, the bearing will probably separate a little bit. This shouldn't hurt anything. Just be gentle with it. When you pick the car back up to put it back together, you'll notice that the wheel bearings will be very very loose. Don't worry about it....put the axle back in, when you crank the nut down it will pull the hub and wheel bearing back together where it needs to be. In extreme cases, I've seen hubs completely come out of the inner race and fall off. If this happens, the bearing needed to be replaced anyway. If you don't want to chance it, Go to home depot or wherever and get a big long bolt that you can put through the hub and bearing, get some washers and put a nut on it. This will simulate the axle being in place and will hold the bearing together.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Re: Quick Question (machschnelGTI)

I wouldn't chance it. Throw the axle's back in and cinch them down. Hang the other end of the axles with some wire. Like machschnelGTI said, they're split on the inside....not designed to take any load without being "assembled". Your Bentley should mention this...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.