VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you want to give it a try........

Quick rear brake how to?
1) Jack up the car and safely support it.
2) Remove rear wheel
3) Remove rear caliper from carrier (14mm socket on ratchet and 15mm wrench)
4) Remove old pads and rotor (if rotor is stuck use a little WD40 around the lug holes and center axle cap and dont forget the retaining screw)
5) Install caliper back on carrier
6) Use special tool on speed handle to push and turn clockwise while someone keeps the caliper from being pushed inwards. If the rubber boot gets jacked up back up ½ then and go slower
7) Remove caliper and install new rotor and pads
8) Install caliper on carrier, use blue loc-tite
9) Double check the tightness of carrier bolts and rotor screw
10) Install wheel and tire with a little spark plug anti seize
11) Start car and pump brakes to remove any play in rear caliper

[Modified by MRP2001GTi, 6:52 PM 3-31-2003]

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (MRP2001GTi)

Looks pretty cool http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What kind of pads did you change to? How do you like them so far?

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (clarkma5)

quote:[HR][/HR]Looks pretty cool http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What kind of pads did you change to? How do you like them so far?[HR][/HR]​
Mintex redbox, I haven’t gotten on the binders real hard yet so its hard to say. The crosshatch on the rotor hasn’t even been worn off yet. Hopefully with the harder compound these last a little longer and stay dust free. With OZ SuperTourismos any reduction in brake dust is greatly appreciated. BTW I have 38k miles and the pads were down to about 1/16 of an inch.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Hey, I was trying to do this last weekend. I ran into a small problem. Did you have any trouble getting that 15mm wrench on the inner retaining nut? Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't get a standard Craftsman box end on it. I was thinking I may need a slim profile wrench to get in there.
One other question: my rotors look hosed. Are you using OEM replacements?

·
Registered
73 Posts

i've never changed brakes before, is there something hard to do with the e-brake??? I hear that there are a lot of small pieces in there????? I'm not paying the dealership i work for $150!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]6) Use special tool on speed handle to push and turn clockwise while someone keeps the caliper from being pushed inwards. If the rubber boot gets jacked up back up ½ then and go slower[HR][/HR]​
Where is the speed handle and what is this special tool?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (VTeurotunerVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]i've never changed brakes before, is there something hard to do with the e-brake??? I hear that there are a lot of small pieces in there????? I'm not paying the dealership i work for $150!!!!!!!!![HR][/HR]​
Nah, all you have to do is pop the cable out of the holder on the caliper. Nothing special. It takes a little effort when you take it apart, but it's much easier putting it back together.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (VTeurotunerVR6)

changing pads are as easy as cake.
I wouldnt recommend that tool though, its almost impossible. You need the special one that looks like a turning vise. you'll see what i mean when you get the tool.
And you dont have to disconnect the e-brake cable (im not even sure which it is
) to change pads or rotors.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (samc)

quote:[HR][/HR]changing pads are as easy as cake.
I wouldnt recommend that tool though, its almost impossible. You need the special one that looks like a turning vise. you'll see what i mean when you get the tool.
And you dont have to disconnect the e-brake cable (im not even sure which it is
) to change pads or rotors.[HR][/HR]​
how do i get the tool if i have no idea what it is?

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (compudaze)

ok thats the only picture I could find.
Basically its like a turning rod with a disc at one end to hold the piston and other end a flat magnetic plate to push against the other side of the caliper You twist the piston back in.. JOY

·
Registered
339 Posts

Thanks. I finally broke down and bought the tool needed. Tomorrow I tackle putting on the new rotors and pads.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
11,354 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
[HR][/HR]​
LMAO

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (fiveodude)

quote:[HR][/HR]where do you buy the special tool at ?[HR][/HR]​
I got mine from http://www.ecstuning.com http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
715 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (mahmgb)

Auto Zone will lend you the tool for $40 bucks, then they give you the money back when you return it.

This is the tool

[Modified by DLO490, 1:07 PM 4-19-2003]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (DLO490)

Thanks DLO, that's exactly what I did !!!!! For some reason I didn't think they would have these....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (fiveodude)

Only problem I had was the piston was extended too far and the special tool didn't fit where it needed to. I just used a c-clamp and some pliars to compress and turn the piston in. After I got it started I was able to use the tool, which was much easier.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (compudaze)

How much to have the sergeant come over and change my brakes for me? Do I need to pick him up or does he have a hot wheels to drive?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Quick rear brake how to...... (deisel)

Do the bolts holding the caliper need to be replaced when doing a pad change?
Never done this before, are the caliper's tricky to take off and put back on? Or is this pretty simple and I'm just nervous for nothing?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts