VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new set if struts for my 2010 passat. Should I go with quick struts or just buy the struts alone. My car has 103k miles. You guys feel I can reuse the springs and mounts or just go ahead and replace the entire strut assembly?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
87,865 Posts
Rear springs are separate from shocks anyway so that's an easy answer.
Fronts are completely different...
Swapping springs are a little cheaper (not usually worth the savings) but you'll end up with a ton more work if doing in your driveway.
If a shop does it you should save about half the price difference in labor alone (assuming $100+/hour labor rates).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear springs are separate from shocks anyway so that's an easy answer.
Fronts are completely different...
Swapping springs are a little cheaper (not usually worth the savings) but you'll end up with a ton more work if doing in your driveway.
If a shop does it you should save about half the price difference in labor alone (assuming $100+/hour labor rates).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just doing the fronts. I have an impact wrench, so compressing the springs isn't much of an issue. It's really just about what is the most cost effective method.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
21,048 Posts
I'm looking to get a new set if struts for my 2010 passat. Should I go with quick struts or just buy the struts alone. My car has 103k miles. You guys feel I can reuse the springs and mounts or just go ahead and replace the entire strut assembly?

Who sells the quick kits?

Reuse the spring and dust cover

Everything else is new (strut mount and bearing, bump stop, bolts & nylon nuts)

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
21,048 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree with BsickPassat. If there is no brand identified on the parts I would be very leery of the quality. Also I would recommend doing the rear shocks at the same time with your miles. Otherwise your rear will be bouncing and the front will be steady. Regarding your springs...my thoughts are like nater's better safe than sorry, replace them. You would hate to have to re-replace a tire, or worse, if a spring breaks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with BsickPassat. If there is no brand identified on the parts I would be very leery of the quality. Also I would recommend doing the rear shocks at the same time with your miles. Otherwise your rear will be bouncing and the front will be steady. Regarding your springs...my thoughts are like nater's better safe than sorry, replace them. You would hate to have to re-replace a tire, or worse, if a spring breaks!
I'm kinda Leary about no name parts as well. This is my first ever vw, I've always had Toyota's. With all my Camry's, the struts are the only parts needing replaced, and all my Camry's had well over 200k. All the other components are fine. Just didn't know if vw would be similar.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
21,048 Posts
I'm kinda Leary about no name parts as well. This is my first ever vw, I've always had Toyota's. With all my Camry's, the struts are the only parts needing replaced, and all my Camry's had well over 200k. All the other components are fine. Just didn't know if vw would be similar.

Since you're familiar with Toyotas, then you should be familiar with KYB.

the KYB during the B6 Passat generation joined Sachs & Boge as another OE Manufacturer/Supplier to VW for the struts/shocks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.