VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im looking into buying a new car and i test drove an 05 gti turbo...was nice, im thinkin thats what im going to get but probably not an 05 i can't really afford the 05 so maybe 03 or 04...my question was what year the boost changed on the turbo's? 03? and what did the psi go up to? thanks for all of the input guys.

pics of the old dub for views (nothing special)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Re: quick turbo question (leftygibsonplyr)

it changed 02.5/03... but dont make that your decision maker if youre going to chip 'cause theyre the same afterwards. There is a difference between the k03 and k03s though.. Its in the FAQ, but i forgot what it says...
nice pick for clicks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Re: quick turbo question (leftygibsonplyr)

I believe 03 was the year that the 180hp version became available on the 1.8t. Stock I believe it peaks around 9-10 psi.
I see a bmx in the background. Do you ride? or did you... I'm still rocking that very same FBM sprocket with the guard on my freebird.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys...as far as bmx ya i still ride every once in a while...kinda grew out of it after senior year of high school...but i still like to get out every few months or something for a ride...(bike specs for you....haro mirra 540 frame, fbm sprocket w/ bash, hoffman highroller wheels, 14 front 3/8 back, profile 3-pc tubeluar, crappy haro y2k bars, kmc 410 heavy duty chain, haro stem and cane creek headset)

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
The 2003s will cost just as much as the 2005s; that was the 20th and they have not lost much value (just like the R32).

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually after doing some research i've found that the 05 with about 20 to 30 thousand miles is about 19 to 20 thousand dollars...where as an 03 with about 30 thousand miles is more like 16 thousand...and for me that extra few thousand is a big deal considering im still in college and i have a semi crappy job

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Re: (leftygibsonplyr)

Quote, originally posted by leftygibsonplyr »
actually after doing some research i've found that the 05 with about 20 to 30 thousand miles is about 19 to 20 thousand dollars...where as an 03 with about 30 thousand miles is more like 16 thousand...and for me that extra few thousand is a big deal considering im still in college and i have a semi crappy job

If you get a well maintained gti the extra miles won't hurt you. I'm at 75,000 miles with just regular maintaince so far *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
58 Posts
2002 is the year that the 1.8t had 180HP
2001 is basically the same hardware, so if you get a chip, it doesn't really matter if it's an 02 or an 01

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vr is a little bit outta the price range i think...i havent really looked into it though...but when i went for the test drive the guy let me take out a turbo then i was like hey can i take a vr6 for a spin to see which engine i like better...he says ya sure im going to go in to get the key for the vr...comes back out...i cant find the keys to the vr soooo were going to take the r32 for a drive....guys let me tell you i think it was best day of my life...he let me redline it and take it on the highway the guy was awesome, he will be the salesman that i buy the car from probably....but anyway...i dont know how much modding i plan on doing cuz 1 i want the warranty and 2 this is going to be a stretch for me as it is i think with the car payments and stuff....

·
Registered
8,020 Posts

i traded in my mk3 jetta for a mk4 gti about 4 months ago... if i could do it all over again, i would have just kept my mk3 jetta and bought another mk3 jetta VR6 for a project car.
dont get me wrong, i love my GTI, but it's expensive...
what dealership are you looking to buy from?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the only reason i dont want to deal with the mk3 anymore is i have 111,000 miles, and air condition that leaks on the inside by the passengers feet, my cruise works only when it feels like it, the button that controls the back passenger (button in front) doesnt work, i just got rear ended (not to bad but just annoying paint scratches and gouges in my bumper), also my door molding is starting to sag, and im sure there are more stupid little problems (oh my front passenger window sounds like it going to crack every time it goes up)
the dealership is in country side/ la grange illinois (right on the border)

Modified by leftygibsonplyr at 12:58 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
8,020 Posts

oh.. autobarn vw? my biggest tip for you is to look EVERYWHERE... i felt like i jumped into my car too quick, and i wish i looked around a bit more. however i don't think i would have found a cleaner or lower mileage 24v gti in the area at the time.
be sure to check out bill jacob's vw in naperville, and pugi vw http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts