VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically my girl is driving my 98 on a daily basis lately since we sold her truck and the 2.5 tt system is too loud for her and i'm tired of hearing about it.
i was thinking about trying the 2.25 single outlet eurosport system, but i really don't have any experiance with anything but the tt. a local shop is recomending the forge? system, i think it's british. does anyone have experiance with it?
thanks for any usefull input.

·
Registered
16,681 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (adamrules)

Check into the Jetex systems that New Dimensions sells, they claim to be 'quiet' while still providing a bump in hp.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (shftat6)

I'm not sure how much your looking to spend but Supersprint are supposedly the quietest but they are expensive. Remus mufflers are pretty quiet and you wouldn't have to change the piping. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

I'm not sure exactly where I saw this but it was said that Brospeed/ Bosal is the quitest system (only a 3 dB gain in noise at idol) and sport compact was building a car and they used that exhaust when asked why they said that it wa sthe only exhaust out there that actually provided the quited gains in power....just something to munch on (that it it just happens to be one of the less expensive full stainless mandrel bent systems out there to bump! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (Red GTi VR6)

who sells the brospeed?
i'll check out the jetex, thanks
my onlt problem with the supersprint is not that it is expensive, but that it is expensive and not even stainless steel....afaik
anyone out there have the eurosport?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

i have a eurosport on an MkIV jetta vr6 ... it's quiet w/ a deep rumble at idle ... but somewhat droning between 2-3K rpms.
i recall someone else dynoing +5 hp near top end w/ no other mods or something like that ...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (Red GTi VR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think that's what they call a "resonator"....and yes - that would make it quiter - Bosal has this too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Guess what...a "resonator" and "mid-muffler" are two different things. The resonator is much smaller and doesn't really do crap. The mid-muffler is like a having a full size muffler in the middle of the system. The Jetex system not only has a resonator that's positioned after the cat, but another mid-muffler towards the rear, followed by the back box.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (tastydub)

The Supersprint is quiet if a resonator is used, otherwise it is some what loud, not brrrraaaappp type of loud but definately has a growel to it. I dont care what anyone says,it does resonate between 2600 and 3100 rpms without a resonator.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (tastydub)

Aluminized steel version of the Jetex 2.5" versus stock exhaust system.

I would have gotten the SS version but it wasn't in stock and I needed the exhaust on a deadline.
It's very quiet. There's a bit more burble between idle and about 3k rpms but not intrusive
at all. You don't hear much of the engine at high rpms, just the same sort of
whoosh of large quanities of air as the stock exhaust. Some people don't like that.
ian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (Daemon42)

I just got a Bosal Brospeed cat back system. Its supposedly pretty quiet for perfomance exhausts. I must admit, the main reason I bought it was because it was cheap. I had the local parts shop order it for me, cost me $440. They told me I could only get the "rolled" tips on the "tuned" system. Apparently this system is specifically tuned for exhaust gasses to pull the fumes out of the system faster creating better performance, if you goto http://www.bosal.com you can see a "semi-technical" flash animation of the gasses flowing.
So far, my experience is great. I definately feel more power, but I did replace the exhaust because my OEM one was rusting apart, so I had been losing backpressure. The system is definately a little louder, not sure if its 3db louder, but it has a really nice low growl at idle. It seems loudest at about 2k and quiets right down to a stock sound by the time you hit 3.5k or so. granted I am comparing it to a OEM system that was rusting. The guy at the shop I had put it on told me he had seen a lot of them and they get a little louder after some of the fiberglass gets burned up. I have had the thing for exactly one week now.
I don't think its too loud I love it, but my Wife does think its too loud, at least when driving in the 2-3k range.
Bosal states that an extra hanger needs to be welded on for the 98 models, but I have a 98 and it fit perfectly, the exhaust shop had it on in about 20 mins, including cutting off the old one.
If you are interested, I can take a picture so you can see the rolled tips. on a 98 GTI.
hope that helps, I haven't really heard many other exhausts, so I am probablly a poor judge of loudness.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

like everybody else said.....the supersprint is nice, though it is a little spendy
I have heard the eurosport on a 2.0 and it was very mild
good luck

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Re: Quietest aftermarket exhaust system? (Daemon42)

quote:[HR][/HR]Aluminized steel version of the Jetex 2.5" versus stock exhaust system.

I would have gotten the SS version but it wasn't in stock and I needed the exhaust on a deadline.
It's very quiet. There's a bit more burble between idle and about 3k rpms but not intrusive
at all. You don't hear much of the engine at high rpms, just the same sort of
whoosh of large quanities of air as the stock exhaust. Some people don't like that.
ian[HR][/HR]​
Did you crush the overaxle pipe on your own or did it come like that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.