VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no doubt new technology is great and makes our lives simpler, but sometimes it feels cold - like a house or design that is only black, white and grey.
While car designers have been copying each other's designs and features forever, all the modern car makes seem to be getting the same interface: Sterile, everything digital dash, and a gigantic iPad interface - as much as I like the touch screen availability and the fact that it's there, I hate fingerprints, so I almost never use the touch screen at all. The voice command and other buttons work just fine and do what I need them to do without having to use the touch screen. All the electric/hybrid vehicles are seeming to get the same ideas from Tesla - a huge iPad that controls everything.

Another thing I notice from Ford, Toyota, Kia to Range Rover - every manufacturer seems to have to announce LOUDLY on the back of their models, which model it is. What happened to subtlety, or placing the name in the corner? Especially the SUVS, I'm noticing, the gigantic letters spelling out which model it is on the back/tailgate.

Gripes about commonalities between modern cars?

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
1,652 Posts
This is interesting. The last couple threads you've made have made no commercial attempts. Maybe I'm cynical (well, not maybe), I see two options:

1. Genuinely got sucked into the TCL black hole
2. Endearing yourself to the community after the trainwreck initial advertisement threads to try and generate interest in the brand.

I'll reserve judgement for now.

I hate how modern cars have those awful machines face/painted inset wheels. They don't look good, and need to stop.

77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The big letters are a bit tacky E S C A P E and now L E X U S emblazoned on tail gate just looks a bit gaudy

Along with many cars having dash layouts that look nearly the same
I was honestly very surprised that the new Range Rover followed suit as well. Very disappointing to see the cold design like a rectangle.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
I dont get why the handles have to pop in/out. Whats the point?
I'm kind of annoyed by everything these days. Who do I speak to about that?

EDIT

WAIT! I just saw this:

I find this kinda awesome. It's a 2022 MY flagship luxury roadster with a hot V...but you can see the turbo housings when you pop the hood.

In a world where everything is covered in plastic - I found this kinda cool.

·
Registered
2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T 5-speed manual
9,600 Posts
Separate turn signals in the lower rear facia / bumper. Keep them integrated in one housing for crying out loud.
Or red rear turn signals that steal one of the brake lights when activated. It used to be that only the Big Three did this because they were too cheap to pay for an extra light bulb on each side. But now European automakers like Audi and Mercedes-Benz are doing it too.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My partial complaint list:
1. Unreasonably large front grilles. There are several guilty parties here. Ugly.
2. Red rear turn signals. Signal lights should be amber. Safety studies support amber rear signals over red signals.
3. Mandatory sunroof on many models or trim levels. Heavy, noisy, leaky, reduces headroom. High maintenance. Sunroof not needed and not wanted. Should be a stand-alone option, regardless of other option packages.
4. Upgraded sound system should be a stand-alone option, not rolled into some $6000 upgrade package (often including unwanted sunroof).

🍺

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Jeep GC High Altitude
497 Posts
Piano black trim in high traffic areas. I really don't like it anywhere and I don't understand why manufacturers are still doing it. It gets crucified in almost every auto review and I don't know a single person that actually likes it over some of the other things available (fake carbon fiber, fake aluminum, etc...)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts