VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This project obviously won't be anything someone hasn't done already - but this will be a good place to keep things documented on the progress, as well as a place to ask advice from others rather than starting a bunch of new threads when things get specific to what I'm dealing with. (might also come in handy for others as well - who knows.)

Anyway, onto the intro -
Hi all, my name is Jon and although I never made a formal intro, I'm sure some of you have noticed my activity here and there over the past year. Regardless, this is me and what I've been working towards lately... hope you enjoy. :wave:

Background: Purchased the car last summer (end of July 2012) from a local dealer that took it in on trade the night before I bought it. It's a local (1) owner, DBP, had 102k miles, pretty much completely stock (flapper mod), well maintained, fully documented, non-molested, etc, etc..Fortunately enough, the previous owners are VW enthusiasts and although the dealer refused to give either party our personal info for contact after the sale, I ended up running into the OP's at a local VW cruise - happened to be our largest VW event of the year in the PNW. (Leavenworth Cruise) I was shocked that they were able to pick it out of a crowd of 1200+ cars. Nevertheless, we exchanged info and meet up for drinks once we arrived back in town. They were gracious enough to give me more of the backstory/history on the car based on their experience over the years of ownership since 2004. (along with informing me the .:R was also already given a name, Sebastian.)

Current: While it was really hard to fight the mod bug right off the bat, I told myself that I'd hold off and just enjoy the car for what it was in stock form for a while and learn the car's behavior for myself. This went well for a while, but then I slowly started adding little things here and there - until I just couldn't resist any more... ~6 months later and it would appear I've developed some sort of an .:R-diction. :screwy::cool::laugh:

Mods started off simple in the beginning but I've since developed a pretty extensive parts stockpile that has been following me for a couple house moves now and only continues to grow and take up valuable space - as well as moking me when I have to keep looking at it as well as shuffling it around whenever I need to get to something else in the garage. :banghead:

Needless to say, I took the time to unpack most of it last night and take inventory so I can finally start this much anticipated build. :thumbup::D

First mods were (photos to follow):

H&R spacers for rear
BNIB .:R Monster mats (picked up the last 2 brand new sets in the country - luckily enough)
OEM MFD Navi
W8 Console
OEM HIDs
Porsche LED license plate lights
R8 luggage light
EIP CAI
Blue Haldex controller
HPA SSK
42DD Solid shifter bushings
..then sold the MFD and bought a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH (much better! :))
SuperSprint Race catback
USP test pipe w/ 42DD spacers
Magnaflow HFC's
(x2) Vibrant resonators
Jetta illuminated vents
P3Cars gauge
Bentley

Now - the car has just under 112k and Sebastian is telling me that he's tired in places..so, time to get a move on and put some pep back in his step! :thumbup:

Here's most of what I'm working with, just to give you an idea of what's to come. ;)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

..and pulled this out of the box again just cause. :) - still can't get over the detail of this little thing!!:eek:

:peace:
-Jon
:beer:

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
Ill be right over to pick up all my parts. Thanks for holding onto them. :laugh:

Awesome stuff cant wait to see your progress good luck:beer:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Dynomatting everything it looks like?

Here I thought I knew how to feed my 'R-diction' as you called it. You need serious professional help! :screwy:

HAHA, kidding of course. I don't know how you stayed so calm with some of those parts and not already installed them. Interested in the outcome and I hope it doesn't sit on stands for too long! :beer:

1 - 20 of 332 Posts