VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The candy white one on FB marketplace? Best one I've seen in years. It looked like it could have been Certified Pre-owned today in 2021. Still kicking myself I couldn't make it work.

There was another blue one in Omaha with 69k on it that just sold as well. Guess Nebraska is a big fan of the MKV R32's!
Yeah it was the white one. I really wanted it but he said he had already told dude he could have it if he got financing and he would email me back if he did not and I never heard back.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It stopped raining for a couple hours this morning so I took the car to the end of my road for a quick pic. I'm not a photographer so this is the best I could do. But at least I finally managed to get a somewhat decent picture of the car outside of my garage.

Oh! As seen in the picture, last week I gave in a bought a new hole-less grille from the dealership. Due to my plans for the car I needed one without any imperfections which unfortunately meant buying a new one...

As for everything else:
1) BFI still doesn't know what they're gonna do about the dash cubby color situation. I'm not known for my patience, so if anyone has an "Anthracite" dash cubby for sale, LET ME KNOW.
2) I'm still waiting on a couple items from a friend to "make the car complete".
3) Keeping my feelers out for some out of production hard to find OEM(+) parts.

Aside from that I'm just enjoying the car!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It stopped raining for a couple hours this morning so I took the car to the end of my road for a quick pic. I'm not a photographer so this is the best I could do. But at least I finally managed to get a somewhat decent picture of the car outside of my garage.

Oh! As seen in the picture, last week I gave in a bought a new hole-less grille from the dealership. Due to my plans for the car I needed one without any imperfections which unfortunately meant buying a new one...

As for everything else:
1) BFI still doesn't know what they're gonna do about the dash cubby color situation. I'm not known for my patience, so if anyone has an "Anthracite" dash cubby for sale, LET ME KNOW.
2) I'm still waiting on a couple items from a friend to "make the car complete".
3) Keeps my feelers out for some out of production hard to find OEM(+) parts.

Aside from that I'm just enjoying the car!
man, if it wasn't a PITA to put the stock parts back for the dash cubby...lol

shark -

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
man, if it wasn't a PITA to put the stock parts back for the dash cubby...lol

shark -
Do you mean all of this nonsense?

None of that needs to go back in!

BTW, you make it sound as if you STILL have your R32 that you were supposed to have sold months ago. Are you just holding onto it until the Mrs forgets about it? LOL Also, it's only 4 screws to remove the drawer trim and replace the blank trim. It'd probably fit in a box with the two under seat drawers and the license plate too. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
New stuff in the mail!

I've been scouring the interwebs for a bit, looking for just the right pieces to fit my puzzle.
I've found "two".
As you know, if you read this far and/or have read any of my other threads for any of my other cars, I'm a stickler for details. I've been looking for the Gorilla Gear rear cargo mat and the matching storage blocks.
Found'em.

Gorilla Gear cargo mat: $68
Gorilla Gear storage blocks: $35

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mileage: 85,235

New rear hatch struts: $75

The old ones got weak when it got colder. So they needed to be replaced.
Nothing more to report at this time.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
As mentioned in a much earlier post, I found a cargo cover that was really nice BUT wasn't in "mint" condition. I've been looking for another one since that one showed up. A couple days ago I looked at FB Marketplace and found one just a few miles away that was said to be in unused condition for a ridiculously cheap price. I met with the guy immediately!

He said it came from his 2011 GTI that he had long since sold. He said it was taken out as soon as they got home with it and it was then placed in a large trash bag to keep it clean and then promptly forgotten about. He had just rediscovered it in his garage that morning and posted it for sale.

The new one had the newer style weighted support strings, so I had to swap those out with the old style that came in the R32.
I'm a stickler for details.

Newer style (left) vs. Older style (right)

Newer style with a plastic fastener (left) vs. Older style with heat shrink fastener (right)

Cargo cover: $25
I sold the old one (purchased for $160) for $80

Total adjusted cost for a cargo cover: $105

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I found a steering wheel with number plaque on eBay in beautiful condition for $250.
It showed up today and I got right to cleaning it up and swapping it out with the original one that is not as nice. The old scuffed up wheel was an eyesore in the otherwise pristine interior of my car.

It came with plaque 3213/5000 on it. I promptly put that up for sale and got $100 for it.
I'm not sure what to do with the old wheel, the leather is so scuffed up I'm not sure anyone would want it.

So, total adjusted cost of the new steering wheel: $150

I also have a couple other items on the way that I'm waiting for. Updates to come.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
When I bought the car, the original spline locking lug bolt set w/key was long gone. I found a brand new oem set on eBay for $40. Now I have a complete and correct trunk kit.

Still waiting on a couple OEM+ things to show up and that'll be about it.
Also, I hate the stock radio in this thing so I'll probably upgrade to the RDC510 in the future.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
With help from a friend, I was able to get a scanned copy of a window sticker with the same options as my car. With a little bit of wizardry I was able to edit the VIN and the shipping info to match my car.

I was also able to find a set of door sill guards from the UK. I'll install those in the spring and post some pics.

Still waiting on another part from the UK that was supposed to be a Christmas gift.

Reactions: Mr. Watson

·
Registered
2008 VW R32 - (Rotrex Supercharged)
2,572 Posts
With help from a friend, I was able to get a scanned copy of a window sticker with the same options as my car. With a little bit of wizardry I was able to edit the VIN and the shipping info to match my car.

I was also able to find a set of door sill guards from the UK. I'll install those in the spring and post some pics.

Still waiting on another part from the UK that was supposed to be a Christmas gift.
I think the price on the sticker is about 10K too low!

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kzoo

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
it warmed up a bit so I installed the sill guard plates I got from the UK.

I really like'em! They dress up the door sills just a bit and I no longer have to look at the scratched paint from a previous owner that clearly didn't know how to get out of the car.

Door Sill Plates: Lockwoodinternational.co.uk $80

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
New Parts!

It's finally started to get warm(er) so I've been spending more time in the R32. I noticed while getting in the car that the drivers side door pull moves a bit when closing the door. So I took it apart to find out why. Turns out that 3 tabs (2 tabs and 1 conical post that lines the other 2 up) were completely broken. Hence the loose feeling of the grab handle when pulling the door shut.

Luckily this is one of only a few Anthracite parts that are still available. I got this one from ECS.

I got it installed and the solid feeling of the grab handle has been restored!

I also noticed that the rear reading lights appeared to be dirty/stained. I took the cover off to clean it and quickly realized that something had been sprayed on it that had severely damaged the plastic and could not be cleaned off. Though it looks as though someone tried. I was gonna need a new one.

Long story short: I called my local dealer, they said it was no longer available. I found one on VWParts.com and ordered it. Next day it was cancelled as the part was no longer available. So I called the next closest dealership hoping that they had one just sitting on a shelf. They didn't. BUT they were able to give me the number to "the only dealership in the country that has 1 in inventory". I called, they had it, I paid for it, they shipped it.

Here it is, "the last NOS rear reading lamp in Anthracite in the country" or so I was told...

The more time I spend with the car the more minor bits and pieces (details) I find that need tending to. Once the weather is sunny and routinely in the mid 60's and up I'll be able to button up any other small issues.

I also purchased a dash shelf from ECS because, well, it was still available.

I had this in all of the Mk5s that I've owned. The last R32 seemed to have an issue keeping the car cool during the summer with this installed. I swapped it back out for the oem vent and it immediately kept the car cool again. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm gonna install it or not. But I've got it! That's the important part.

Since my wife doesn't read this, I will say that since it seems like I'm nearing the end of this "refresh project" I am worried that I will once again get bored with this car and want something else. I hope not. But I can kinda feel it coming. It seems as though I find more joy in getting these cars completely sorted than I do actually owning and enjoying them. It's been cloudy and raining a lot. Hopefully it's just a feeling that passes.

Reactions: Mr. Watson

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Just a brief rant left over from last week.

Wookie In The Woods.

If you've made it this far, you know that I've owned various R32's for more than a decade. However, I've never made it to the event due to work, time off conflicts and just plain old not wanting to go by myself. This year, I had the time off and decided I had to go, even if it was by myself. I was lucky enough to find a guy (a week before the event) that didn't need his room in the Lodge. So I actually had someplace to stay!

Fast forward to April 7th. I got up at 2:30am. I was so excited to go I couldn't sleep! I got the car fully packed and hit the road at 5:30am to begin my 700 mile trip. 30 miles later...just 30. F#CKING. MILES... I hit a pot hole that put a HUGE bubble in the sidewall of the front passenger tire. I'd made the decision to keep driving though. I figured once 8am rolled around I could start calling ahead to tire shops in various cities along the route to find a new matching tire and have it installed. I made it about 80 more miles when my wife called to inform me that she had just been notified that a loved one had passed away overnight. That was it. I had to turn around and drive two hours back home. I'm just not meant to go to this event.

It took two days for Discount Tire to get a new tire. Turns out that particular tire was discontinued a while ago and is difficult to track down. However, when I had them mounted last fall I bought the replacement certificates (as I always do) so the replacement only cost me $16. The pot hole hit didn't damage the wheel either! Much to my surprise, because it was a hard hit!

Summary: Headed to WITW, hit a pot hole, family member died, turned around.
Update: Replacement tire took two days to get and cost $16, family member...still dead, deposit for the room refunded.

Maybe next year.

·
Registered
2008 VW R32 - (Rotrex Supercharged)
2,572 Posts
Just a brief rant left over from last week.

Wookie In The Woods.

If you've made it this far, you know that I've owned various R32's for more than a decade. However, I've never made it to the event due to work, time off conflicts and just plain old not wanting to go by myself. This year, I had the time off and decided I had to go, even if it was by myself. I was lucky enough to find a guy (a week before the event) that didn't need his room in the Lodge. So I actually had someplace to stay!

Fast forward to April 7th. I got up at 2:30am. I was so excited to go I couldn't sleep! I got the car fully packed and hit the road at 5:30am to begin my 700 mile trip. 30 miles later...just 30. F#CKING. MILES... I hit a pot hole that put a HUGE bubble in the sidewall of the front passenger tire. I'd made the decision to keep driving though. I figured once 8am rolled around I could start calling ahead to tire shops in various cities along the route to find a new matching tire and have it installed. I made it about 80 more miles when my wife called to inform me that she had just been notified of a loved one that had passed away overnight. That was it. I had to turn around and drive two hours back home. I'm just not meant to go to this event.

It took two days for Discount Tire to get a new tire. Turns out that particular tire was discontinued a while ago and is difficult to track down. However, when I had them mounted last fall I bought the replacement certificates (as I always do) so the replacement only cost me $16. The pot hole hit didn't damage the wheel either! Much to my surprise, because it was a hard hit!

Summary: Headed to WITW, hit a pot hole, family member died, turned around.
Update: Replacement tire took two days to get and cost $16, family member...still dead, deposit for the room refunded.

Maybe next year.
“MAYBE” next year?

You and I will definitely start the Michigan posse and caravan down to Wookies in 2023.

Anyone else IN? We have 366 days for Wookie Prep!

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kzoo
21 - 40 of 44 Posts