VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
NEW STUFF!

Since my first R32 I've always liked the look of the euro led tail lights. I've never loved them though. Two reasons, (1) I don't care for the look with the rear fog light and (2) I really don't like the inner tail lights that are just big shinny silver circles that don't do anything. Now, I know both of those issues can be taken car of with a little bit of know how and ingenuity. I, however, am not that guy. These have always been too expensive, and now too hard to find, for "me" to be messing with.

Which brings us to last week. I was of course looking through FB marketplace and happened upon a set of Valeo Euro Spec Led tail lights. These didn't have the fog light though. The seller had a detailed explanation of why and how he removed the fog lens and replaced it with a regular clear (reverse) lens. He stated that he'd been running them like that for a year with no issues what so ever. I inquired about the price, as he had listed them without one since he wasn't sure what they were worth after he'd modified them. He suggested $450 shipped, I wanted to pay $300 since they'd been modified. What he didn't know is that I had been looking for a set exactly like this for over a decade. We settled on $350 shipped.

Obviously I needed the adapter harnesses from ECS to make my life easier. The lights showed up yesterday after USPS lost the package for four days. They're in near mint condition. They had two small scratches on them but those buffed out with little to no effort. After a quick install and some sketchy VCDS coding instructions they're good to go! I finally have amber turn signals!! Which is honestly all I've ever wanted.

So, in just the eight or so months I've owned it the rear end has gone from this (stock oem)

to this (oem Valeo US spec dark cherry)

and finally to this (oem Valeo Euro spec LED Dark Cherry w/o Fog)

I still don't like the big silver circle inner tail lights that do nothing. I may try replacing them with the inner tails from the US spec Dark Cherry set just to see how it looks.

Before anyone asks, NO, I'm not selling any of these sets of lights.

Reactions: RRRRR32

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Congrats! I still miss my mkv R32. My mk7 R is nice, but it just doesn't do it for me like the 08 did.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Ok, so I swapped out the inner tail lights for the old set. I don't hate it. I like it more than I do the big silver circles...
I think it's a much more subtle look. It doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME" like the other ones do.

I may change it back. I'm not sure. I think I like it like this though.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Congrats! I still miss my mkv R32. My mk7 R is nice, but it just doesn't do it for me like the 08 did.
I know what you mean. I like my Mk6R a lot more than I expected to. A lot more. But it's just not the R32...

41 - 44 of 44 Posts