VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm in the wrong forum to be asking but does anyone know what class the R32 would be required to run in for AutoX?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: R32 AutoX Question (MightyQ)

good question... Surely it wont be G stock like other Golfs. I imagine it will be in the same class as the TT.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

As of the latest (March) issue of SCCA FasTrack, the R32 has NOT been officially classified.
I expect to see it fall into DS, ...but we'll just have to wait and see.
Remember, autox is more about driver skill than it is car choice.

J.

·
Registered
380 Posts

I've heard DS also. I'll be able to tell you in about three weeks. I'm sure you'll already know by then though.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Re: R32 AutoX Question (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
I'd think it'd be with the WRX.

That would currently be DS.
Regardless of class, I'm not holding my breath in terms of the R32 being a successful autocross car, especially on the national level. The trend in Stock and STS classes over the years has moved toward lighter chassis. The R32 suffers from the same shortcomings as the 225 hp TT quattros in this regard: Weight, front camber-challenged and the potential of abrupt (on-off) Haldex operation (especially with "R" compounds on hot pavement).
In fact, it's not uncommon to see 180 hp FWD TTs and GTIs being quicker than 225 hp TTqs in many events.
The only way an R32 would show well is to have a National caliber driver make a long-term comittment to test and tune an R32 in order to adapt or develop a driving style that suits the car. Most are not that patient...
That's not to say an R32 won't make a fun choice for rookies in regional events... just as long as a competent driver in a BMW-3 6-cyl., Type-R or WRX doesn't show.
Juergen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts