VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you all remember the HPA carbon fiber engine cover:

well, I have always wanted one and since they are virtually nonexistent anymore, I decided to contact a local (Indianapolis) composites company about (re)producing them. as it stands right now, they are currently putting together a quote for me based on dimensions and images I have supplied them of my current engine cover, and spare engine cover I have. that being said, I wanted to extend this to the R32 community to gauge interest in possibly making more than one, to reduce cost. I'm not doing this to make money for myself, I just really want one and figured I'd see what the interest in the community was for a fresh run of these carbon fiber engine covers. this thread is pique interest and get an idea of who may also want one. if anyone is interested, I'd appreciate some feedback here. I will update this thread when I receive the quote, and about which direction this idea/project will go.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'd def be interested as well.. having a BMP car, I like the accented carbon fiber look. Have OSIR carbon strut tower caps, looking at getting a spare parcel shelf and doing it in carbon 3m wrap, and engine cover would go well with the Porsche oil filler cap and strut caps :D

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
most likely, but I just want the real thing. :p

as far as price, this is still early in development. I was messing around in my engine bay Friday, and got to thinking about the engine covers. I contacted HPA and they said they are no longer in production, but they still get a lot of interest seeking availability. living close to a motorsport town like Indianapolis, means there are plenty of composites shops in the area, so if this place I contacted proves too expensive, there are still several options available.

out of curiosity for everyone interested or who has posted, what would be a make-or-break price point?

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hydro dipping is a good idea, and probably not bad, but I want the real thing. just looking up some hydro dipping examples, and something like an over & under shotgun will run you ~$200. I'm not concerned with weight, because it is just a trim piece, but it's something I've always liked.

still haven't heard back, but it's only been a day. hopefully if enough are interested we can get the price <$300.

anyone recall what the original HPA piece cost when new?

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just a quick update:

supplier got back to me today, they are a small shop (3-4 people - didn't realize it was so small), and my contact had been out all last week for a family emergency. he said he will review the material and have a quote ready by Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts