VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys...

I need to purchase a fuel pump and had some time to kill...so several hours later, here is what I came up with.

Enjoy-

Factory VW- part # 8L9919051G (made by VDO)

Other manufacturers-

Bosch- part # 69740 REFERENCE

I'd imagine this is probably the highest quality pump from all the brands. Currently on Amazon for $184.55 w/ free shipping - LINK

~~~~~~~

Next up is VDO - part # W0133-1603815

Currently at CarParts.com for $164.95 plus Fat Wallet has 6% cash back and use either code PARTS or CHEAP for free shipping until 12/31 - makes it about $155 all said and done.

Then the others are-

Carter - part # P76030M

Airtex - part # E8424M

Delphi - part # FG0416

Network Fuel Pumps - part # 1001-00218

Retech - part # AFS0909S

These can be had for various prices all over the net.

~~~~~

If anyone is poor, desperate or brave, there is a guy listing a generic pump that cross references these numbers on a pump on Ebay for only $82 w/ free shipping - LINK

I dug around for info on the company and they are an importer based in Florida, the stuff comes from China. Might not last forever, but at that price..who cares? It's a 30 minute job to swap it from start to cleanup + crack a beer.

:beer::thumbup:

·
Registered
25,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after I made this post last night.. I bought one of the Bosch pumps off of Amazon. (aprox 7:15pm). It was delivered this morning at 9:45am.

Says Bosch on the box, says Bosch on the sticker...says VDO on the pump housing-

Oddly enough, even though under VDO it says made in Germany.. if you take this other #'s off the unit and type them in google, you get websites from China.

I should have saved the extra $30 and just bought the VDO direct for the $155 (after fatbucks)

I would like to see someone order the $82 Ebay pump and see what they get.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, of course it would say "Made in Germany" as VDO is part of Siemens, and they have been part of the foundation of German made electrical and automotive components for decades.
Based on my experience with importing parts and with Bosch/VDO etc- I'm betting Bosch made the motor since VDO doesn't make motors and VDO made the housing since Bosch rarely if ever makes their own housings.
The reason the numbers stamped in it comes up with Chinese suppliers is that there is a huge market for counterfeit parts and they are quick to jump on any identifier that will help them move those parts. Without exception, the Chinese copies are pure fawking garbage.
Airtex is pretty poor quality but sometimes will surprise you by working.
Carter has been making fuel pumps for decades and made fuel pumps for WWII aircraft- what I don't know is if they are sourcing from China these days, but the brand has been around forever.
Delphi is typically OEM stuff and in many cases is sourced from VDO/Bosch anyway, but not always. Usually Delphi is a safe bet on most anything.
The others- either reman with chinese motors or chinese copies. Just don't bother.

·
Registered
25,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learn from my mistakes. :facepalm:

Although as shown on the link above that Bosch lists this pump as for the Mk4 R32... it is not correct.

Some things you don't notice until you are halfway through the job.

I knew I had to swap over the level sensor, so I did that and swapped over the rubber seal up top.

I went to install it and realized there was no place to plug in the electrical harness or fuel line from the feeder pump.

There should be a plug on the black wire to the level sensor and 2 hose nipples on the actual pump itself.

I don't know about all these other parts numbers, but I've had enough time wasted here (and aggravation about having to return this wrong part and get refunded for it and my overnight shipping charge). I will order the factory VW part and take no more chances.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
any update on this?

i made the same mistake when my fuel pump left me stranded in NJ the other day. got back to my car to discover that the pump i had bought was not actually the right one. i was able to ghetto rig the 2 pumps together to get it home.

i think my problem is with the connectors on the top half. any luck finding a pump with those or am i going to have to hit up the dealership? i looked at GAP, MJM and ECS and they all show just the picture of the lower half. the price is appealing but i dont wanna order it and find out its the lower half only or the wrong pump again.

·
Registered
17' Raptor '18 4Runner '15 S3
17,500 Posts
Fail, of course I find this thread after I bought the pump from Amazon. I actually installed it too and it works, but doesn't have the sender on the other side hooked up. What does the fuel line going to it actually do? I tried to fix the wiring but I mangled the connector trying to remove the pins from it. I doubt they will take this pump back since it has been used now. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
What does the fuel line going to it actually do?
That other fuel line pressure is used to power the ejector pump on the left side of the tank (hydromechanically), it sucks up the fuel from the left side of the tank which is separated from the right side because of the quattro prop staft passing through. Without that line hooked up, you will have unusable fuel just sitting in the left side of the tank.

I'm trying to find a replacement pump like this one, but I don't know the part number and it's not listed in ETKA either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bosch 69740 - VDO W0133-1603815 - VAG 8L9-919-051-G

I searched for but didn't find this thread until after I made the same mistake. Amazon AND Bosch are still advertising the Bosch Premium Fuel Pump, part number 69740, as the correct part for the 2004 VW R32. It is NOT.

There is a similar complete assembly available from a few VDO retailers who use the same part number, W0133-1603815, for the pump only and for the complete assembly. At least they add a disclaimer noting the sender unit is not included when that is the case. Here is a link to a good photo of the complete assembly (best one I could find): http://www.autopartsway.com/Part.cfm?W0133-1603815/VDO

The VAG part number 8L9-919-051-G as a complete assembly including the fuel level sender is currently list price at the VW dealer $392.58. The price of the VDO complete fuel pump assembly is nearly the same ($355 - 395).

The VAG part number 8L9-919-051-G as pump only w/o sender is currently list price at the VW dealer $364.90. The VDO pump only sells for much less. Current best price found: http://www.new-part.com/product/aud...2-fuel-pump-continental-vdo-oem-8l9-919-051-g. German Auto Parts is at $201.

It is worth pursuing an aftermarket purchase since you can get the OEM part cheaper and quicker. (No VW dealer seems to have the pump in stock!?) I hope nobody else has to suffer the hassle of trying and failing to replace their pump at a reasonable price in a short amount of time.

FWIW, my fuel pump failed at 85K miles. Took 10 days to replace.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I went OEM, I had to wait a few days as my dealership had to order it as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.