VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, this is my first post so please be gentle:eek:

i have a stunning r32 2004 with an hpa ft450 turbo fitted,(also porsche cayanne discs , calipers , adj suspension , miltek high flow cat , strut brace front and rear, seat splitter, ) all reciepts and work carried out bought car like this. on cold it runs good and boost is good , but as soon as its warm (about 4 mins ) in 3rd 4th 5th 6th gear when the boost kicks in i get a biggish vibration through acc pedel and steering wheel, but nothing untoward before boost apert from a slight misfire on idle, the car is running rich and using plenty fuel, the turbo was fited at 18k and now done 23k, so its very low milage ,
ive fitted 3 coil packs, new plugs (old ones were black),
i have been told by awesome vw who did the work on it , that the car goes through o2 sensors for fun, just cant understand why, i have no lights coming on , and going for vagcom diagnostic in the morning ,
tried to talk to hpa in canade bt dont answer emails ,so im loosing lots of power and patience. and soon money i think, any advice would be greatfully recieved

· Registered
3,984 Posts
Here are a few things to check first:

1. Clean Mass air flow sensor- also, make sure it is plugged in. Unplugged, dirty or malfunctioning it will give you full fuel in most scenarios
2. Check all hoses for leaks, loose clamps. My car won't run at all if a boost hose comes loose. I can pull the plug on the MAF to get to a safe work location when it is needed.
3. Scan the ECU for codes, VAD or Vag-com will be best.
4. Make sure the waste gate is properly adjusted.

Also, where are you located?

· Registered
461 Posts
Black plugs mean way to rich, you have tuned a high performance car before? I'd let hpa mess with it, for sure if you didn't know black means rich. Or go to DJM joey can help you out I'm sure.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Had vagcom test and came up with nothing. Great. Its also had Maf sensor fitted and fuel filter by previous owner.
It looks like a boost or vacuum issue or maybe blocked cat. Could be causing back pressure. Or maybe plug gap s as I didn't gap them but all looked good.
Its just the misfire at idle makes me think vacuum leak.
Anyway its booked in at awesome who installed turbo and have fitted every extra its had. for them to find the answer. So no driving my new baby till it comes back. Bugga
Also hpa mapped the ecu. It was sent to them in Canada to do and sent back. I would think it should of had a personal map from awesome as each car has so many veriables. Or I may be chattin crap. As I'm new to the turbo market. Had Maseratis before and always loved r32. Hope things improve.

:)

· Registered
19,026 Posts
I would think it should of had a personal map from awesome as each car has so many veriables. Or I may be chattin crap. As I'm new to the turbo market.
:)
the beauty of MAF based fueling and factory widebands, no real need for one-off tunes. there are sometimes small gains to be had, but realistically a solid generic tune will give you 95% of the power you'll ever see.

p.s. my vote is clogged cat, caused by the bad maf sensor, and probably a bad 02.

· Registered
2,465 Posts
First thing I would do is a Boost Leak test. A real pressure test, not just making sure the clamps are tight. You will be surprised what you miss. Also test to or above the PSI you run.

Your rich condition on boost often means a boost leak.

Good luck :thumbup:

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Sounds similar to the problem I had, yet mine was "bucking" all the time.

Replace all 6 of your coilpacks. Even if one is not throwing a code it could still be bad and not sending the proper signal to the spark plug. I had a bad coilpack and the only way we found it was by idling the car and unplugging each coilpack. Once we got to #4 the engine didn't have any change in idle. Replaced and I'm now back at full power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.