VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Flame suite on] Not to stur up too much controversy...but would the R32 be a little more...versatile if it was a 4 door Jetta? It would go up against the WRX and Evo on a leveler field [/Flame suit off]

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Re: R32..Jetta based? (Phil Pugliese)

Quote, originally posted by Phil Pugliese »
[Flame suite on] Not to stur up too much controversy...but would the R32 be a little more...versatile if it was a 4 door Jetta? It would go up against the WRX and Evo on a leveler field [/Flame suit off]
been brought up before in here.

·
Registered
2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
23,662 Posts

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Re: R32..Jetta based? (DjPtsatsot)

when this was originally posted, it was supposedly taken at vw's factory in mexico. vw germany then shot down the idea. lol.

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Re: R32..Jetta based? (rel1001)

Quote, originally posted by rel1001 »
when this was originally posted, it was supposedly taken at vw's factory in mexico. vw germany then shot down the idea. lol.

Probably wouldn't know how to price a R32 Jetta. Since the jetta GLX already sells for $28K, they would have to tackle the price to $31-32k for a Jetta R32..

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
no more new GLX's.
the most I've seen one go for recently (used, obviously) was about 18k. i got mine yesterday for $12,500

·
Registered
24,098 Posts

It would go up against the WRX and Evo on a leveler field.

And it would lose in every category except for interior quality (maybe looks, but that's subjective). This doesn't sound like a good idea to me

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Re: R32..Jetta based? (WReXinEFX)

Quote, originally posted by WReXinEFX »

Probably wouldn't know how to price a R32 Jetta. Since the jetta GLX already sells for $28K, they would have to tackle the price to $31-32k for a Jetta R32..

please stop misinforming everyone
http://www.vw.com/jetta/price_us.htm

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

It would go up against the WRX and Evo on a leveler field [/Flame suit off]

OK, not flaming you, but I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective.
The reason the R32 is not on the same playing field as the WRX and EVO isn't because it's a 3-door and they are 5-door. After all, lets not forget that there is a 5-door R32 available across the pond. Obviously, no matter what you do the vehicles remain in different leagues.
The poor R32. so many bash it. I don't care what people think anymore. Yeah, it's natural to compare it to other fast AWD cars in the same proce range, but remember that the creators of these cars didn't have the same goals in mind. Subu and Mitsu were directly competing with each other, but VW haad other goals. So, because the goals of the vehicles were so vastly different one can't say which is better and be objective about it. No matter what you do, the playing field is always uneven.
It's all about perspective and th car with the home court advantage wins.
So, let's put the R32 vs. WRX vs. EVO to rest. We know which is the fastest, we know which has the nicest interior. we know which has subdued styling and which have big wings. let's move on to other arguments and drive what we wanna drive.
i will say this, though, I would take an R32 jetta in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
Modified by gravitymachine at 3:27 PM 5-21-2004

Modified by gravitymachine at 3:28 PM 5-21-2004

1 - 12 of 12 Posts