VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is trying to decide between 2001 s4, or r32, looking to spend around 20-24k, but he also can buy new GTI, but he wants all wheel drive, its going to be daily driver and weekend. I suggested r32 or new gti, but he is going to test drive r32, so far he loves new gti.
I might trade my mkv gti for mkv r32 later.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Some reliability issues with the S4's twin turbos (I had one and turned it in at end of lease for that reason), although I'm sure if you ask a current high-mileage S4 owner, they'd likely say "no big deal". Check out the B5 S4 forum at AudiWorld for more info.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
MKV. Your in Cali, AWD isnt really needed.
I have owned both an R and have drivin my friends b5 s4 for a month.
In order id say MKV, R32, S4
The s4 is a beast but dont let anyone tell you you wont have problems, You will. It needs serviced seems like every other week. As long as you take care of it and such youll be ok but the safer route is with the MKV/R32.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
not to be anti-vag, but if you are considering an s4 of that vintage, i think you are better off in a 2002 m3. engine has extended warranty (100K), and resale seems to be a little better. the body style still looks "new" for now, since the new 3 series coupe is just rolling off the line now.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Re: (chwmy)

Quote, originally posted by chwmy »
not to be anti-vag, but if you are considering an s4 of that vintage, i think you are better off in a 2002 m3. engine has extended warranty (100K), and resale seems to be a little better. the body style still looks "new" for now, since the new 3 series coupe is just rolling off the line now.

Agreed...I love my R, and w/ the reliability issues of the B5 S4, you would be better off w/ an R...though finding an E46 M3 w/in the $20-24k range might be a challenge, the later E36s are still going for that much in some places...R32 FTW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts