VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pony up boys...lets see the pics of R32s with aftermarket mods.
Im particularly interested in boser hoods, and the smoked 25th anniv headlights.
Ooh, anyone rolling on HRE's or are they too heavy (weight wise or pocket wise).

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (switchface)

i've done a couple things.... so far... too busy to post pics... just search under my name.
ok here's one

Modified by Bruce_M at 3:22 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (Bruce_M)

Here's mine with the 20AE headlights, and a couple other things

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (RetardedSquirrel)

Nothing other than the fact that they are blacked out interally rather than all chrome

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think the smoked look makes the car look meaner. id love to transform 25tth hl into hid of some sort.
bruce - i LOVE your ride...have some pics saved on my hd from another thread of yours.
supercharged - those wheels give ya a nice euro look...clean.
thanks guys....anyone else?

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Re: (switchface)

Quote, originally posted by switchface »

bruce - i LOVE your ride...have some pics saved on my hd from another thread of yours.

thank you very much!! i appreciate that! Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will actually GO somewhere and take some decent pics after i get my wheels back!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Re: (Bruce_M)

Quote, originally posted by Bruce_M »

thank you very much!! i appreciate that! Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will actually GO somewhere and take some decent pics after i get my wheels back!

Bruce- give me a call when you do. I will bring my .:R. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (switchface)

MSD carbon fiber Boser hood -- I nearly got mine installed today:

Shown with Hofele "Edition Four" metal mesh grille.
Took it to a trusted shop for the installation. They could not get the hood to latch, as the metal loop attached to the hood simply isn't deep enough for the latch to lock it in place. Took it to a "real" bodyshop nearby, and they came to the same conclusion. They said they could install my hood pins and fix the hood so the that the prop strut could attach to it (nothing they could do about the latch), but they were booked solid until next week.
So, I'm back to stock now...
Mike

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (mec_vw)

Sorry to hear that! Looks awesome though. Please post any solution you come upon. I want a CF hood too.
I assume same problem if you left the VW emblem in?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (R2-32)

That Hofele grille looks awesome. Where did u get that? How was the fit, and does it need to be painted? Do you have pics of that with the stock hood? Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (ArjunE60)

Quote, originally posted by ArjunE60 »
That Hofele grille looks awesome. Where did u get that? How was the fit, and does it need to be painted? Do you have pics of that with the stock hood? Thanks!

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to that grille!
also, that front view should DEFINE the word "boser" that car looks angry!!!
-jfost

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (ArjunE60)

Quote, originally posted by R2-32 »
Please post any solution you come upon.

Will do.
I just called MSD, and they recommended making the cutout around the latch loop a bit larger, as that can sometimes cause interference. If I recall correctly, that wasn't the problem yesterday, but I'll confer with those who looked at it more closely to get their opinion.
I spoke to Peter, and he claims that they've never had this issue with any of their hoods, and that the metal loop should be the same height as the stock one. To illustrate the difference, I took these pictures:
Stock hood -

MSD's hood -

I've read that their newer hoods have some kind of adjustable plate for the latch, whereas mine does not. On the upside, Peter said they'd send me a replacement if making the hole larger didn't help.
Quote, originally posted by R2-32 »
I assume same problem if you left the VW emblem in?

There'd be a different problem with the stock grille/VW emblem. If you look at your hood, you'll see that the front VW emblem is so large that it cuts into the hood. If I left that emblem intact, it would interfere with the underside of the boser hood, which extends down over the grille.
That Hofele grille looks awesome. Where did u get that?

I got it from Potterman, a.k.a. Virtual World Parts.
How was the fit, and does it need to be painted?

The grille comes in 3 pieces:
1) Bottom plastic lip that covers up the bumper cover notch for the VW emblem. This piece must be painted to match body color. Held down with a supplied pair of bolts, washers, and nuts (which can be tricky to install). I had to trim a bit off each end to prevent interference with the portion of the bumper cover that wraps up around the inner parts of the headlights, and I had to tack down each end with a bit of double-sided foam tape. I rate fitment of this part 7.5 out of 10 as a result.
I don't care for the way this piece doesn't sit quite flush against the bumper cover, as shown below--but this seems to be the norm for aftermarket MkIV Golf/GTI grilles.

I think the intrusion of the VW emblem into the hood and bumper cover was VW's attempt to stave off/irritate aftermarket body part manufacturers. I could have the bottom piece "molded" to the bumper cover, but I prefer to be able to revert everything back to stock without obvious cosmetic side-effects.
2) Metal mesh grille. This piece simply bolts on with the existing torx screws. It's a solid (and rather heavy!) piece, and bolted up and lined up just like it should. I rate fitment 10/10 for that.
3) Metal bracket for the hood latch release handle, pictured here:

This piece allows you to retain the stock hood latch release handle, which I thought was pretty spiffy. I had to supply my own bolts/nuts/washers, though. Scores 9/10 for that minor inconvenience, but fitment was perfect.
In the event that you break the plastic hood latch release handle when you remove it, (it MUST be removed to disengage the stock grille), the Hofele kit includes a simple, bent-metal replacement handle. A bit cheesy, but it should do the trick in a pinch, and definitely a great item to have included. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for that.
Do you have pics of that with the stock hood?

Yes, I do. Take a look here.
Mike

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... ([email protected])

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like on the stock hood, the metal catch is angled front to back, whereas on the boser hood, it is angled back to front!?! I cant tell where the front on the new hood is though...
-jfost

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (jfost)

Quote, originally posted by jfost »
Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like on the stock hood, the metal catch is angled front to back, whereas on the boser hood, it is angled back to front!?! I cant tell where the front on the new hood is though...

The pictures were taken from opposite sides. In both pictures, the measuring tape is next to the rear-most portion of the metal loop. The CF hood's loop is angled correctly.
Mike

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (mec_vw)

Quote, originally posted by mec_vw »

The pictures were taken from opposite sides. In both pictures, the measuring tape is next to the rear-most portion of the metal loop. The CF hood's loop is angled correctly.
Mike

OK, that makes sense.... just checking on simple stuff with "fresh eyes"!!! That would have been an obvious one though!
-jfost

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: R32 Pics: boser, smoked hl's, wheels, etc... (jfost)

Quote, originally posted by jfost »
OK, that makes sense.... just checking on simple stuff with "fresh eyes"!!! That would have been an obvious one though!

It's only obvious if you don't miss it.
Never hurts to double-check the simple stuff.
Well, the hole around the metal loop was not the issue. Called Peter at MSD to let him know. He said that he checked with the manufacturer, and they claim that they made that metal loop shorter on purpose, otherwise, "the hood might sit too high". They expect the latch mechanism should be adjusted upward enough to compensate--which it clearly did not for me.
He then said that the hood had to be slammed down really hard from about halfway up in order to get the latch to lock. I told him that we pressed down on the hood hard enough to compress the suspension (which I figure is a LOT more force than just slamming a really light hood), but he responded that just pushing down on it wasn't good enough. "It has to be slammed really hard because the hood is so light."
High school physics tells me that I can press down on the hood hard enough to generate as much--if not more--force than slamming it.
He also suggested simply removing the latch mechanism from the car or cutting the metal loop off and just using hood pins. "That's what several of our customers have done."
Whatever happened to "We've never had a problem getting it to latch"???????

I have no problem keeping the hood in place with hood pins, but I'd like to back that up with the security of the stock latch, so Joe Public can't open up the hood by simply undoing the hood pins and having his way with my engine bay.
I don't want to slam the crap outta my hood every single time I want to shut it, and I do want it to be "secure". So, I guess my options at this point are to re-work that metal loop so it reaches deeper or not use the hood at all.
At this point, the hassle and downgrade in day-to-day ease of use have me leaning towards keeping all the stock stuff and investing my money in something more worthwile...like a chip and/or forced induction.
Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts