VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed quite a few people posting their opinions about prices for used R32s. I see some lucky buyer picked up an R32 in MN for 25,500 that had under 11k on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . A few posters noted what a fair price that was, and I have to agree.
Meanwhile, there is an R32 sitting at a dealership here in town with shot tires and 46k on it going for $27k.
Then there is one further north that has about 3k on the clock, and they are asking $33k for it. Granted, the most prinstine value through KBB is $35k (which is totally ridiculous to me), and Edmunds has it valued at around $27.5 tops. $7,500 difference?
Didn't these cars retail for $30k ($29,010 according to a VOA press release)?
Don't get me wrong, these are great cars, but I don't think they should garner such a premium. Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (uber-kb)

Total can of worms question you're posing. Everyone who owns or is trying to sell their R32 will tell you that the cars are definitely worth $26k-$27k. Everyone who wants to buy one (myself included) will tell you that they're not worth that much.
Here's what I've observed and my opinion: the asking prices for Rs seem to be very regional (much higher on the coasts and large metro areas like Philly), asking prices are just that, asking prices -- very difficult to find out what these are actually transacting at, eBayMotors does have some good information on completed listings that have resulted in a sale, and the two most recent sales (small sample, I realize) were at $24k for a dealer sale and $23k for a private party sale -- these numbers seem to be consistent with previous eBayMotors sales that I've tracked. There are a lot of Rs for sale on this forum, but not a lot of them are currently selling. The ones that do seem to transact on this forum appear to be doing so around $25k. I think it is a pretty safe bet that if someone is enough of an enthusiast that they post on this forum, that the cars for sale here are probably better taken care of (and used) than the average R for sale out there (some notable exceptions of cars that have been 'tracked' aside).
Best of luck on your R-quest!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (dhodory)

All valid points, thank you, dhodory.
One thing that is nice is that it's really not too expensive to have a car shipped these days. I mean, when you weigh in saving a $4-5k on the car vs. paying less than $1k to have a car shipped coast-to-coast, it can help if you're buying through a dealership.
Of course I'd rather buy from a private seller, but seeing the car in person on a purchase like that makes a huge difference. I'm not averse to a nice roadtrip if I find one within driving distance of a day or two.
Pricing here in the PNW is pretty crazy.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dhodory »
Total can of worms question you're posing. Everyone who owns or is trying to sell their R32 will tell you that the cars are definitely worth $26k-$27k. Everyone who wants to buy one (myself included) will tell you that they're not worth that much.
Here's what I've observed and my opinion: the asking prices for Rs seem to be very regional (much higher on the coasts and large metro areas like Philly), asking prices are just that, asking prices -- very difficult to find out what these are actually transacting at, eBayMotors does have some good information on completed listings that have resulted in a sale, and the two most recent sales (small sample, I realize) were at $24k for a dealer sale and $23k for a private party sale -- these numbers seem to be consistent with previous eBayMotors sales that I've tracked. There are a lot of Rs for sale on this forum, but not a lot of them are currently selling. The ones that do seem to transact on this forum appear to be doing so around $25k. I think it is a pretty safe bet that if someone is enough of an enthusiast that they post on this forum, that the cars for sale here are probably better taken care of (and used) than the average R for sale out there (some notable exceptions of cars that have been 'tracked' aside).
Best of luck on your R-quest!

I agree, that pricing is driven by market and region.
R's at the local dealers are listed at $29,995. This seems to be regardless of condition or mileage. One here in Harrisburg was all beat up with close to 40k on the clock and was listed at $30k. Then I saw it on Ebay and it never sold for the buy it now of $25k. No one even bid on it. Then a few weeks ago I stopped by and they said it had "sold". But the previous week was the local VW auction, and I imagine that it "sold" there.
I am happy with the R I bought on here. Paid 25k and it had 23k on the clock.
I would hold out until you find a similar deal. Something sold by an enthusiast to another.

·
Registered
28 Posts

In 2004, there were people who were able to find R32s for near invoice around $27k. I don't understand why anyone would pay near that 3 yrs later, esp. with the new R32 coming.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (mattphoto)

Quote, originally posted by mattphoto »
In 2004, there were people who were able to find R32s for near invoice around $27k. I don't understand why anyone would pay near that 3 yrs later, esp. with the new R32 coming.

Guess we are on crack.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (borntorage)

Quote, originally posted by borntorage »

Guess we are on crack.

Not at all. But I do think that even amongst R32 owners, the ones that come to the 'Tex and frequent the Forums are probably more enthusiastic or passionate about their Rs than others (meaning they're likely to more highly value them).

·
Registered
52 Posts

this is a pretty subjective discussion. But I would agree that price is VERY regional. I would also contend that the majority, probably 90%, of the vehicles listed on this specific forum start with bloated asking prices. Every once in a while I look to see if a realistic FS is posted. I wouldn't hold out on buying from outside sources. This arena is more of info based discussion, and nobody ever posts what they really sold it for. And yes, you would have to smoke alot of crack to pay more for a used car than when new, but i'm sure if you buy crack you don't care much about anything. Or have a lot of do-ray-me to waste.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dhodory »

Not at all. But I do think that even amongst R32 owners, the ones that come to the 'Tex and frequent the Forums are probably more enthusiastic or passionate about their Rs than others (meaning they're likely to more highly value them).

This is a very true statement. Most R owners who are into their car (and didn't buy the fastest VW they could find
) will value their car ~8% or more than the novice. Myself included, I wouldn't sell unless I found someone willing to pay between 26-35 as stated.
...then I would whine about not being able to find one for less than 35k and regret selling. That said, I don't ever plan on selling mine. Good luck with your search. You'll find one if you look hard enough!
Gabriel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (nkgneto)

I just sold my Reflex Silver for $24,500 this week. Garage kept with 32,330 miles, not a scratch or ding. Kelley Blue Book lists a trade value of around $24,500. However, the loan value on the car is only $22,100 here in Dallas Texas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks to everyone for posting. You all provided good feedback to chew on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (redmill)

Sorry, redmill, I had my pop-up blocker on so I must have missed your im.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

I just got one with 23k eip turbo stg2 blue with leather for 27.5k
you can get one around 20-25k stock

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (roadbaron)

Quote, originally posted by roadbaron »

congrats. It's nice to hear of an owner selling for a reasonable price. There is still way to much of the absurd 27-30k asking prices out there. I think 23-25k for a low mile :R is fair although mid-high mileage r32s are out there for 20k and don't even look to be selling on vortex.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (20thAEguy)

tell me about it i can't give mine away.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2850047
Quote, originally posted by 20thAEguy »

congrats. It's nice to hear of an owner selling for a reasonable price. There is still way to much of the absurd 27-30k asking prices out there. I think 23-25k for a low mile :R is fair although mid-high mileage r32s are out there for 20k and don't even look to be selling on vortex.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Re: R32 Prices -- Looking to buy one, what's a fair price? (roadbaron)

Quote, originally posted by roadbaron »

looks like the wait paid off http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif but I am curious why you are making offers for my turbo kit?

·
Registered
38 Posts

I have been reading everyone's responses and I tend to agree with everyone's feedback. I just posted my R for sale b/c I need to step up to a 4door, hopefully a s4, and I have had a few inquiries. I am new to listing on here so the price differences are fun to watch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts