VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R - IE450T
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
also, this picture is rad, your expression really sums it all up
It was quite a moment :banghead: It blows my mind that someone (Tim Hansen) was like, "Perfect time for a photo opportunity." That's Tim.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R - IE450T
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the kind words. I wasn't sure how it was going to be received on Vortex, as I did cannibalize an .:R32 (probably best US spec VW to hit NA since the Corrado) to create it. It's got nothing power-wise on an .:R32T, but it eats most stock and slightly upgraded VWs alive while getting 40MPG (that's been about my average) AND can be run on pure biodiesel.

very cool, nice work, great writeup too! :thumbup:
Thanks! I was hoping to make this educational for all of the people on TDIclub that are constantly lusting after an AWD TDI. This swap can easily (and more inexpensively) be done with an Audi TT. Personally, I have always wanted an .:R, so this was too obvious.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R - IE450T
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This has been my dream swap. Im so happy to see this documentation! Great work and Thank you!
Thanks! No problem! If you need any of my diagrams, I have them digitally (just PM me). The stuff in the pictures shows a bunch of handwritten stuff on top of the printed diagrams has not been transcribed yet, but I am planning on getting around to it.

As far as motor goes, if one were to do this swap, you have options:

To build up a PD TDI motor like this isn't that expensive and can be done on the cheap. The upside to using the European early 8v 150HP PD TDI (code ARL) was:

- Larger crank journals (can also be found on the US spec 2.0L PD B5.5 Passat code BHW)
- 18.5:1 CR pistons with oil galleries (slightly lower CR the US 1.9L PD code BEW)
- Stronger rods than BEW
- Non-divided intake ports in head with standard one-piece PD intake manifold
- Higher flowing injector nozzles (but same injector bodies as BEW)
- Older ECU architecture (EDC15P+, vs EDC16 found in BEW)
- stronger turbo than BEW/stronger stock ECU tune

That being said, the crank journals probably don't make a real difference as far as overall engine stoutness. The pistons are nearly the same as the 2.0L pistons from the US spec Passat BHW, and the Passats have more material in the tops of the pistons for removing for lowering CR (different placement of oil passages). And obviously the 2.0L pistons are larger and make for a higher displacement motor!

Rods are slightly stronger than the BEW and are the same as the 2.0L Passat BHW.

The intake ports can be fixed with porting and using a custom intake or imported European PD 130/150 intake.

Injector nozzles are irrelevant because I swapped them out with aftermarket ones.

Most tuners have similar control over EDC16 ECUs as they do over EDC15P+, although many tuners seem to still prefer the EDC15P+.

Turbo is irrelevant because I put a much larger one on.

I plan to put in lower compression oversize BHW pistons, Rosten H-beam rods, and larger nozzles. By the time I have done all of this, my motor would not be very different from a BEW with the same modifications outside of crank journals and intake ports.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R - IE450T
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This is awesome!

I remember sometime last year someone was planning on doing this and almost everybody jumped down this kids throat about the idea

.( mainly because he was a bit of a pompous ass lol)

Kudos to you sir!!!! :beer:
I would love to have a TDI R :thumbup:
Thanks! It's a pretty practical daily, I would recommend it to anyone.

It was pretty pricey. I had most of what it took to do it already outside of the .:R32 and the turbo kit I ended up going with. But if I were to just start this with nothing, it is VERY expensive. The transmission is the craziest:

$1000 Audi TT AWD 02M w/transfer case
$1400 TT FWD Euro 02M (includes shipping costs)
$900 Peloquin R32 LSD
$1000 clutch/flywheel

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Dyno

The dyno operator told us that the last R32 that came in for a dyno put down 160HP until he disconnected the drive shaft, which brought the car up into the 200s (car was stock). Hearing this, I was very certain that my dyno was going to be sub-200 AWHP.

246 AWHP 343 AWTQ
Those are some good numbers. My R put down 200hp and 190tq at the wheels with no mods.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
After reading every word of your build, I'm blown away. I had always wondered the possibilities of doing this conversion, but never took the time to find out just how extensive it is.

It's truly incredible, and the fact that you did it with the help of some friends in your own garage is the icing on the cake.

Props to the best build thread I've ever read.

Sub'd for updates, and further progression :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.