VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R - IE450T
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Again, thanks for such a positive response. This makes a great daily and like JDM-JTI, I too think this car is ver preferable to a NA R32. Obviously an R32T eats this thing alive, other than on fuel economy.

Great build!

Overall, how much time did you spend accumulating parts (not including research) and what parts came from overseas?

• engine
  • cluster
  • wiring

What else?
I had a bulk shipment that was sent over from the UK that included a the contents of a PD150 front clip, an extra short block, 2 extra PD150 heads, and 2 additional TDI FWD 02Ms. This took nearly a year to come together. There are now better sources in place for this kind of thing (RyanP on TDI Club).

As far as Euro-only parts in this build go, the motor, trans, cluster, wiring, and ECU came from the UK. As alluded to earlier, this build can be done with all parts from NA, outside of diesel 02M gears. One could have easily used a 2004-2005 US-Spec TDI motor to achieve similar results.

I have a very good feeling that a ported head along with yet larger injector nozzles will make a huge difference. I feel that I will see such a power increase with both of those, that it will absolutely require rods and head studs to keep the motor together. I'd guess right around 300AWHP.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I do have one big bone to pick with you OP! I wish you would have done this with an .:R that was being scrapped or was in a junkyard already. You guys did an amazing job and it would have been nicer if you could have saved an .:R from the executioner. I'm really curious as to how she performs. It would be nice to go run a quarter mile or run some laps and post you pass/lap time to give the peeps a benchmark compare to. ;)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Again, thanks for such a positive response. This makes a great daily and like JDM-JTI, I too think this car is ver preferable to a NA R32. Obviously an R32T eats this thing alive, other than on fuel economy.

I had a bulk shipment that was sent over from the UK that included a the contents of a PD150 front clip, an extra short block, 2 extra PD150 heads, and 2 additional TDI FWD 02Ms. This took nearly a year to come together. There are now better sources in place for this kind of thing (RyanP on TDI Club).

As far as Euro-only parts in this build go, the motor, trans, cluster, wiring, and ECU came from the UK. As alluded to earlier, this build can be done with all parts from NA, outside of diesel 02M gears. One could have easily used a 2004-2005 US-Spec TDI motor to achieve similar results.

I have a very good feeling that a ported head along with yet larger injector nozzles will make a huge difference. I feel that I will see such a power increase with both of those, that it will absolutely require rods and head studs to keep the motor together. I'd guess right around 300AWHP.

This is the kind of stuff I enjoy following!

Keep up the great job.

A DIY would be the tits btw...

:)

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R - IE450T
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I do have one big bone to pick with you OP! I wish you would have done this with an .:R that was being scrapped or was in a junkyard already. You guys did an amazing job and it would have been nicer if you could have saved an .:R from the executioner. I'm really curious as to how she performs. It would be nice to go run a quarter mile or run some laps and post you pass/lap time to give the peeps a benchmark compare to. ;)
The reason I did this to a running .:R was because I wanted to daily drive one to have something to compare my .:R-TDI to. After putting 5k miles on my .:R32 and now driving it as a TDI, I definitely can feel the nuances between the two motors. Needless to say, the built TDI is much more enjoyable to drive compared to a stock .:R32. Also, I was unable to find a suitable and inexpensive broken .:R to build up.

Every .:R that I found that was in lass-than-drivable condition turned out to be a pretty bad deal for me. I did find 2 different .:R32s with engine issues, but both were expensive. A cheaper high-milage .:R with a working mortar/trans ended up costing less, as I was able to sell the working motor and transmission.

As soon as I put a new flywheel in the car (it's running a SBC stage 3, but has a stock DMF - ran out of $$$ when I originally swapped the TDI motor into my previous car), I want to take it to the track and see what kind of 1/4 mile times it puts down. I'm curious too :)

This is the kind of stuff I enjoy following!

Keep up the great job.

A DIY would be the tits btw...

:)
Thanks! I really felt that the build thread was very close to a DIY. :confused: What was I missing? I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Just WOW!
Great job, look forward to seeing updates, once you get the engine work done.
:thumbup:
Thanks! I think the engine work should make this a pretty quick car. We'll see!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hey Dan good to hear that you're still around.

Dunno if you remember me but we did a pull on 43 a while back I was in the green wagon with the VRT.

Amazing come back from the accident to the wagon. I do like this a lot but.... I did like the wagon more. Could be because I'm a loony and love wagons.

Since you're in the bay now I guess that means I won't be running into you again on the freeway lol. Any future endeavors with this thing after you iron out the kinks?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Would love to hear if you ever took this machine to the drag strip. Still curious as to what kind of numbers it would put up.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.