VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Looking to purchase a car within a few weeks.. just wanted to know if anyone else had a hard time choosing between these 3 since all 3 of them have AWD and roughly the same price range... any advices would be great!!!
Thx.

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (tekkno1gy)

Absolutely no problem deciding.
STi and Evo are quicker, faster, better handling, way more focused performance-wise, and
have much more attention getting looks. The STi is seriously fast, the Evo has
the handling edge of the two. The STi doesn't come standard with a radio.
The new Evo RS won't even come with sound deadening material.
These are rally bred near-race cars for the street.
That's why I'm getting an R32.
Other than the fact that these cars cost about $30k and have AWD, they have
almost nothing else in common. R32 is a comfortable 6 cylinder AWD performance
hatchback packed to the gills with standard features, that I can live with every day
of the year, driving around the western states, commuting, hauling my crap, tearing
it up on the twisty roads and flogging on the track a couple days a year. The R32 does
everything well, but is the master of no single category. It is not the fastest, or best handling,
or flashiest, or most luxurious car. However, it represents one of the best balances
between performance, luxury, practicality, styling, uniqueness and price.
If you're on the fence, there's no way we can convince you with numbers.
You'll simply have to go test drive it and see what you think yourself.
ian

Modified by Daemon42 at 9:21 PM 2-11-2004

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (bbz)

Sweet, thanks for the info as well as the link! I just wished the R32 didnt cost soo much.. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (tekkno1gy)

After test driving an Evo, I'm having the same dilemma that you are having tekkno. I put down my deposit on R32 exactly 1 years ago and I already test drove the R32 twice(two different cars). But, I don't know!!!! For me, STi is out of my options as I hate the back view of the car. Can't stand it. Ugh...ugly!!!! So, I'm having difficulties choosing between Evo and R32. I don't exactly know which one is more suitable for me!!!
My suggestion is that I don't think you should blindly take the advice of people on this board because most of them haven't really driven an Evo. I think you should go ahead and test drive one to see the difference of each car. Man....to me, Evo is simply awesome!!!! It's absolutely driver's car!!!! The engine, suspension and gearbox are phenomena and simply sublime. Unlike R32, you feel as if you are connected directly to the road. But, it lack some luxries. Interior is fill with cheap looking plastics everywhere. And, I hate the boy-racer look of Evo as well.
I wish there's someone out there could help me convince myself which car is best for my need.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (datax)

I also test drove an Evo, then bought an R32. I do long drives on a fairly regular basis, the thought of being in an Evo for more than 4 hours was http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Under 2 hours was http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Fun car, but not the cruiser I was looking for. The R32 is.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
Absolutely no problem deciding.
STi and Evo are quicker, faster, better handling, way more focused performance-wise, and
have much more attention getting looks. The STi is seriously fast, the Evo has
the handling edge of the two. The STi doesn't come standard with a radio.
The new Evo RS won't even come with sound deadening material.
These are rally bred near-race cars for the street.
That's why I'm getting an R32.
Other than the fact that these cars cost about $30k and have AWD, they have
almost nothing else in common. R32 is a comfortable 6 cylinder AWD performance
hatchback packed to the gills with standard features, that I can live with every day
of the year, driving around the western states, commuting, hauling my crap, tearing
it up on the twisty roads and flogging on the track a couple days a year. The R32 does
everything well, but is the master of no single category. It is not the fastest, or best handling,
or flashiest, or most luxurious car. However, it represents one of the best balances
between performance, luxury, practicality, styling, uniqueness and price.
If you're on the fence, there's no way we can convince you with numbers.
You'll simply have to go test drive it and see what you think yourself.
ian
Modified by Daemon42 at 9:21 PM 2-11-2004

Heard a great quote on Auto week, they were reviewing the Subaru Baja. Car was about $28K. The editor said the car was okay but for near $30K the interior was down right poor, "Sometimes I wonder if Subaru has ever heard of the VW Jetta"
Point being, inspite of all that performance which will not be realized on the street their was no Soul to the car.
My angle on the purchase, the car you get better mean something to you, it better make you feel a certain way. For $30K that is something to think about.
Test drive a R32 if you can then a WRX. It's like leaving Ruth Chris Resturaunt and going to McDonalds.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (Daemon42)

Well, Ian doesn't particularly care for me do to the fact that I think he is a know it all.
(don't get mad Ian, you even said that about yourself in a letter to me, so its all ment in good fun)
But I have to disagree with him in as much as I think his characterization of the car is not accurate.
While I do not own the STI or the EVO, I have spent the last 12 years working on some of the finest sports cars in the world, and also having the chance to drive them.
I think that the R32 is every bit as good a handling car as the Sti and the Evo and any failing on its part to keep up with those cars has in most of the articles I have read been attributed to tire rubber.
I think the car is fast as hell. So what if its a second slower than an Sti or an Evo.
The car grips the road wondefully well, and the cars handling has been praised far and wide by everyone but Ian.
Now just you wait and see. Watch Ian come back with a post stating that he never said the car was a bad handling car, just not the best handling car lol.
The R32 handles like a true sports car and I would put it up there with any Porche or NSX I have driven, in terms of its cornering ability and torque. With a chipped engine or a TTurbo, I would bet that it would be faster than many exotics in certain tests. Again, here is the part where Ian will jump in and tell you all why such a claim is unfounded and he will discuss the reasons why.
Bottom line is, I believe Ians characterization of the R32 is at best an understatement.
I am basing my opinion on my experience with having driven the NSX and some Porches as well as few Ferraris. I am not a racing professional, and while the R32 will not do 170 MPH (stock heheh), the R32 is a true performance car, and anyone who says it is not is, in my opinion, somewhat mistaken.
OK Ian. The gloves are off. I am sure you will type a thesis on why I am all wet

Be my guest, mate.

Modified by vso at 7:18 AM 3-2-2004

Modified by vso at 7:20 AM 3-2-2004

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (vso)

Bit of a straw man argument.
You've already made most my counter for me.
Not to mention that I've said it all before.
I won't speak of the R32 or any car in absolute terms. I never do. There's always
something faster out there and the Evo and STi both fall into that category. If you think
I've been trashing the R32, then you haven't been paying attention. Giving props to
the "competition" certainly takes nothing away from the R32. Sort of ironic
that you'd make that claim while others accuse me of being a blind VW loyalist
unable to find any fault with the R32 because I've been one of its most ardent
defenders in the last year. I guess if some people are accusing me
of trashing the R32, and others of blind faith in its abilities, then it's
probably fair to say that the truth is somewhere in the middle and I'm doing
my job as resident know-it-all.
Do I think that I can outrun the average EVO or STi driver on my favorite twisty roads in my R32? Yes.
The R32 is very easy to drive right at the limit, and has the performance potential to hang
with a lot of "faster" cars. I've proven that to myself, and to a few others already.
My tires are already starting to show significant signs of it (not to mention 16-18mpg average mileage).
How many times have you felt EDL/ASR holding the R32's performance back on dry pavement on a twisty road?
Per day?

But I'm not going to claim that the R32 is fundamentally as fast a car as the other two
when a highly skilled driver is put behind the wheel of all three of them. It's not meant to be.
The R32 is a *great* car because it is an all-rounder. Performance/comfort/styling/uniqueness/practicality/price
I've said that from day one. It's why I knew I would own one the moment I saw it.
I had bought and paid for my R32 an hour before I had ever laid eyes on one in person.
But I'm never satisfied with stock performance. No matter how good it is, I want more.
If there's something I feel can be better, I'll certainly let folks know about it, and
then explain how I have, or intend to fix it. That's not trashing it. That's being
an automotive enthusiast, and an engineer at heart.
BTW, a lot of people quote the Blue Monday article when they compare the R32 to the STi and
EVO. "Look, look, it was only 1 second behind." There's only one flaw. The Tire Rack
test track they were on was producing about 30 second lap times which is ridiculously short.
That's like go-kart track length. The average short road course tends to closer to 1:30.
That 1 second deficit on the Tire Rack's track would be 3 seconds on most other tracks.
At 60mph that'd be a 264 foot advantage after 1 lap. I hope your idea of "close" isn't
looking at that big wing on the tail of competition from nearly a football field's length away..

ian

Modified by Daemon42 at 3:13 AM 3-2-2004

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: R32 vs STI vs EVO (vso)

Quote, originally posted by vso »

Now just you wait and see. Watch Ian come back with a post stating that he never said the car was a bad handling car, just not the best handling car lol.

I'm sure you guys mean this in good fun, but let's try to stay out of the "personal attacks and flame wars" territory. Thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Nate

·
Registered
262 Posts
You both have great input, it just seems that each of you come from different angles. That is just fine for me, b/c I think that you are both right. Hence, I am awaiting delivery of my R. Nice to see that you guys didn't really lace into one another, and just had a substantial and informative debate. Thanks to our resident know-it-all and our resident mechanic ... you guys always help us tease out both the tangible and intangible qualities and concerns that arise when being in love with the R.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: (plf)

Quote, originally posted by plf »
You both have great input, it just seems that each of you come from different angles. That is just fine for me, b/c I think that you are both right. Hence, I am awaiting delivery of my R. Nice to see that you guys didn't really lace into one another, and just had a substantial and informative debate. Thanks to our resident know-it-all and our resident mechanic ... you guys always help us tease out both the tangible and intangible qualities and concerns that arise when being in love with the R.

Enough said.

Rocco

1 - 13 of 13 Posts