VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read plenty on the merits of each car; particularly the R32, as it's enjoying a honeymoon with the motoring press right now. What i'd really like to know is what, dynamically and practically, seperates the R32 from, say, a 225 TT with 6sp and quattro. I mean, yes, nice linear six cyl' vs. a turbo'd 4. Uber practical hatchback vs. limited use coupe. But on the road, are these cars not going to feel very similar?
I'll put my flame suit on for this one; but I went from an E36 M3 to my 1.8T gti. i'd never have considered an R32 if i were not so happy with the practicality of my gti. I decided against the STI and EVO because I decided i can't live without german interior quality and amenities. So the R32 seemed to be it, but this week i've been thinking that a CPO'd TT (225) can be had for around 6-8K less than an R32, with a warranty upto 100k etc. So, appart from that nice intake growl and the big roomy hatch; would i be missing anything else?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: R32 vs TT anyone tried both? (M8)

I've owned both and MUCH prefer the R32. Seatbelt drove me nuts in the TT covertible I owned.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Comparing the R32 to the TT (1.8) brings up the issue of turbo-charged 4 vs. NA 6. Some people swear by the 1.8t. Others don't like the feel of turbo + manual gearbox (I'm in this category).
The utility of a TT is not a complete disaster. I know a fella that loads his model gliders into his TT almost everyday. That said, a TT wouldn't work for me (with the little one).
Aside from that, something I've noticed, *generally*, you'll see certain "types" of people driving TTs around and other "types" of people driving R32s/GTIs around. This may have as much to do with $$ as anything else tho.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks gtiness, i know what you mean. in the UK the TT is largely dismissed as a poser's car... with some justification i guess. however, i love the idea of such a small car having AWD. i also love the look of the car. i can deal with the practical limitations of the car. as for the turbo'd 4 vs. big six debate; i've owned both. the M3 had one of the nicest sixes ever made, but i enjoyed the sudden woooosh of my impreza turbo... so i can live happily with either. i'm just wondering if, for all intents and purposes, when you take the practicality and the motors out of the equation; are both cars going to be very similar...

·
Registered
18,552 Posts

Have you driven the R32 yet?
We can banty our opinions back and forth all day long, but until
you've driven the R32 and felt the smooth always-on NA 6cyl,
the steering wheel the seat, the shifter, and heard the exhaust note,
nothing we say will make the difference between these cars obvious.
And I do think it's obvious. The TT is small, impractical, attracts
a lot of attention and I personally find the 1.8t totally uninspiring
(that's a personal opinion, not a flame). I don't even think it's a fair contest
between the TT225 and the R32.
ian

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Ian. I agree wholeheartedley with the "just drive it" comment. This is what i tell anyone dithering between the EVO and STI; i have plenty of time in both cars. However, I'm looking for subjective opinions from people with more wheel time than a 20 minute test drive will give me. You commented on some intangibles: "Impracticality" and "attention getting" but these are not the intangibles that I am curious about. I will drive each car; but the core of my question is: Do they share so much genetically that (other than the things I, and you, mentioned above) could you tell them appart in the dark?

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: (M8)

Quote, originally posted by M8 »
Do they share so much genetically that (other than the things I, and you, mentioned above) could you tell them appart in the dark?

Most definitely.
Everything in the R32 that the driver actually touches is different. Different steering wheel,
shorter shift throws, different seats, lighter clutch action, and very responsive and powerful brakes.
I look at these two cars and the only things that I see that are the same are the AWD
system (albeit reportedly not tuned as aggressively as the R32 or TT3.2), similar suspension (although
from what I've heard the TT's stock suspension is actually softer), and their quick steering ratios.
Everything you touch, and hear is different.
In a poll of 100 current R32 owners I'll bet 98 of them will say this car still puts a
smile on their face every time they turn the key and and put their hands on the wheel.
1 of them will say he bought the wrong car, and the other one just accidentally
clicked on the wrong poll choice.

ian

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »

Most definitely.
Everything in the R32 that the driver actually touches is different. Different steering wheel,
shorter shift throws, different seats, lighter clutch action, and very responsive and powerful brakes.
I look at these two cars and the only things that I see that are the same are the AWD
system (albeit reportedly not tuned as aggressively as the R32 or TT3.2), similar suspension (although
from what I've heard the TT's stock suspension is actually softer), and their quick steering ratios.
Everything you touch, and hear is different. ian

There you go! Thats what i was after! Thanks...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

Well I've had all 3 does that count? Its very hard to give opinions because everyones situation varies but here's mine...
1st TT = 225 Roadster Quattro
Fun car, great handling, awesome power (once played with) and a roadster in CA is, well, you have to do it at least once
Turbo blew, got it replaced, plaged (in the later days) by too many boost leaks and heat soaks (on very hot days) and yes, I had an FMIC
Overall = excellent car but I wanted to try something different
2nd TT = V6 DSG Quattro Coupe
Fun Fun car, smooth power, no lag, DSG is AMAZING and great fun in the canyons (not so hot @ Willow Springs though). Too early to tell what mods will come down the road, AoA killed LC
but it's a great car to commute / canyon with due to DSG etc.
Overall = was fun until my wife took a fancy to it so she bought me an R32 and I gave her the TT

3rd is .:R32
Back to my dubbin days ! Love the car, love the extra room, great seats, sunroof, interior and $12k less price tag. Due to their being no limits on the reg 6pd means I can play with it down the road and either SC or Turbo it (and I will). Has room for my 2 dogs and 4 adults (reason I got the R32 to go with my TT)

Overall = early days but it's looking good so far <movie quote>

·
Banned
204 Posts

For me it's all about HP. The R32 is cheaper (significantly) than a 225 or 3.2 TT. As a previous TT driver the R32 is more fun to drive, not as flashy (the TT is a stunning vehicle).
Driving? Both 6-speeds very fun - R32 just more fun given it's even a nicer 6-speed with more HP. I considered the DSG but that just isn't me. I love a clutch and shifting.
R32 is more fun for less money. And this gives me wiggle-room to add a supercharger in a year or two.

·
Registered
385 Posts

I've owned one of the 1st TT Quattro 180 hp 1.8t that came to Houston in 2000. It was a great and fun car that did have a little turbo lag compared to the R - and I think the cars do drive very close to the same in the twisties. The room issue is why I don't drive TT any more - the R is a very practical GT car that I can use as a fun daily driver that satisfies all the time. I have the need for smooth speed!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: R32 vs TT anyone tried both? (SERVICEMANGLER)

I've owned a 225TT that was modified and I will tell you that it was great fun. I will also tell you that it is not a Boxster and not as much fun with the top up as the R32. The R provides the same or better sports handling and a lot more utility.

Modified by Steif at 3:39 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the thoughtful input. One or two points that people are bringing up are addressed in my first post: #1 Cost, not an issue. I agree that the R32 is better value; but I'd be shopping for a clean CPO'd TT: IF that is the direction i go. #2 I would only buy the 225 TT with 6spd. So comparisons to other motors or transmissions, while interesting, don't really figure in my thinking. Thanks again, and when I finally DRIVE an R' i'll post my impressions here...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Re: (M8)

see if you can find a friend in your area with a broken in R32 and some timetested driving tips
just evens the field a little, compared to a boring-dealer test-drive
if you think about it, the R32 has the same engine and transmission, however the R is tuned down 10hp being a vw and not an audi
ALL you need to do is buy the AmD chip and you'll have an even better EUC than the sportiest TT! with the AmD upgrade, you'll have 260hp, the R32's more aggresive AWD and the versitility and style of the matured & ultimate mkIV GTI

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: (gabedibble)

having driven both, working for the dealer, and owning the TT 225:
the R has the typical (in a good way) Golf feel. it's very planted and obvious a GT car which loves big sweepers. etc. it has alot of glass yeilding alot of visual between the two. suprisingly this is a BIG driving experience between the TT and R. the immediacy of the all motor is quite pleasing
the R has a MUCH touchier clutch that isn't lighter than my TT. it's a much easier car to stall, period. the R has a longer wheel base and because of lacks the more nimble feel of the TT. if you look up the stats, the TT has a wider track but a shorter base and loves the tight twisty stuff. once moving fast, the TT coupe has an interesting forward viewing out the glass feel that can't be described but EVERY one will notice when driving. i love it, not everyone will. the shifters are the same in throw, regardless if one has a longer throw but shorter shaft and vise versa. the aggressiveness of the AWD is the same. it's no more than a rumor otherwise. on the street, the brake difference is negligable. where the R has immediacy in the engine, it loses the rush on top and feels like it's crying for cams. the TT needs plus 2500rpm to pull hard, but then it does with all it's might. they're both very different AND enjoyable. the steering wheels are the same layout but WAY different in thickness. i actually like neither. the TT needs to be bigger, but the R feels like someones forearm
these cars would best be experienced back to back.
this will show why the TT behaves SO MUCH different in terms of motor characteristics:
this is exhaust, intake, fmic (which unfortunately only added 11whp), and Giac software compared to SAME parts but stock software.

Modified by M this 1! at 2:04 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: (M this 1!)

Quote, originally posted by M this 1! »
the R has a MUCH touchier clutch that isn't lighter than my TT. it's a much easier car to stall, period.

After you get used to the R32 (and you will if you drive it a lot), every other car
feels like driving a truck by comparison. I have no problems modulating the clutch and
have only ever stalled it maybe 3 times in the first couple weeks of ownership and never since
then.
Quote »

the TT coupe has an interesting forward viewing out the glass feel that can't be described

Maybe, because it's shaped like an upside down fishbowl. Kidding..

Quote »

fmic (which unfortunately only added 11whp),

On a dyno, that makes sense. Out on the road, the FMIC should make more
of a difference.
Nice dyno BTW, although it's kinda weird that it was getting wheelspin on
an AWD dyno. I know I've seen GIAC dyno cars with more whp than that.
ian

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: (jetta4dr)

Quote, originally posted by jetta4dr »
Screw the trubod tts go for the 3.2l one with the 250hp

IMHO, the TT 3.2 is only worth it if you *have* to have a 2-seater. Otherwise, it's $10-15k more than the R32, which gives you seating for 4 and a hatch. Driver preference . . .

1 - 20 of 73 Posts