VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned the R32 since 2004, but have had problem with the stock wheels! I check the tire pressure every 1500-2000 miles, but they are still cracking on me. I've had to replace 3 wheels in the past 2 years!
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Some roads in SF are not good, but I always avoid the pot holes. Are these wheels really that weak and should I switch to another set of wheels? thanks for the help

· Registered
5,263 Posts
Re: R32 Wheel Crack!!! Help! (ejw1224)

Try checking the tyre pressure every week!

· Registered
3,083 Posts

It is a very common problem, if you are still using the tires that came from the factory (Goodyear Eagle F1's), for you to ruin a tire by hitting a pothole. Cracking a wheel, however, is much more serious and can only be becasue of your driving habbits. It is definitly not the wheel's fault. Sounds like you should be driving a Jeep, or learn to put more energy into taking care of your car and scanning the road ahead for potholes.

As for reccomending a stronger wheel, guessing from what you have said, I dont think any wheel will be strong enough for you

· Registered
1,933 Posts

I've found the stock wheels to be plenty strong (45K+, a few nasty pothoes hit occasionally on rainy nights, but still no issues http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ). Are you running the stock Goodyear F1s? If so they are not a good choice IMO for your area due to the very soft sidewall. If you are going to keep them make sure they are always well inflated by checking them often!
In regards to all low profile tires these are completely different from something like an SUV tire! I used to check my wife's Montero every month or so, but they held a heck of a lot of air and I could tell very easily if one was getting flat. Low profile tires don't hold a lot of air and you can't rely on a visual inspection to 'guestimate' the air pressure inside so you should be checking pressures on a weekly basis at least.

· Registered
10,781 Posts
Re: R32 Wheel Crack!!! Help! (VRsexxy)

35 is waaay to little pressure in the front. Needs to be more like 40f 38r
I run 42f 38 r, found that to work nicely to optimize turn in response and lateral grip, in addition to helping with fuel economy.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Re: R32 Wheel Crack!!! Help! (g60racer)

I used to run high pressures somewhat like yours, but have since reduced down to around the 32-33 psi (cold) range for commuting comfort. Considering another 2 or 3 psi increase due to heat and they are running around 35 psi 'warm'.
With a very soft sidewall tire I'd go a few psi higher, though.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Re: (xcise 2 xile)

Quote, originally posted by xcise 2 xile »
the rear should not have less than the front, actually should have more...
Why do you guys put less???

I don't put in less, but I keep them fairly equal all around for the street. A few pounds extra in the rear is fine since the fronts will heat up more anyways.
Track is something different, of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.