VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the autoshow, and the R32 does NOT have a dual exhaust. Also the Audi TT 3.2 does not have a dual exhaust.
What gives?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: R32, Where is the dual exhaust (dub_this)

Every R32 has dual exhausts. They do not have dual exhaust lines nor dual mufflers. The exhaust pipes merge into a single center pipe which then carries exhaust gases back to the muffler. The muffler is positioned crosswise with a tail pipe coming out each end. These tail pipes exit through cutouts in the rear bumper valence. If your saw a real R32 without "dual exhausts", it must be something special. Perhaps it was assembled by the same person who seems to like useing only 2 Haldex Coupling Flange nuts instead of the normal 3.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Re: R32, Where is the dual exhaust (dub_this)

I can't think of ANY car with a transversely mounted engine that has "true" dual exhausts (seperate piping from the engine to the tip). The R32 is as dual as you're gonna get with this type of engine layout.
But, you are correct, 2 tips does not make it a true dual exhaust.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Per Neuspeed's feature on the R32:
"The narrow angle V configuration of the cylinder head dictates that all six exhaust ports face the firewall. A short, cast iron exhaust manifold bolts to the back side of the head, hidden under a heat shield. The manifold is really two 3-into-1 manifolds joined together.
2 downpipes connect to the manifold, each with their own oxygen sensor and flex coupling.

The twin downpipes enter into a very substantial catalytic converter. Twin pipes exit the converter and run back to a single cylindrical resonator, and finally to the end muffler."
Sounds like a true dual exhaust to me.

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: R32, Where is the dual exhaust (mec_vw)

Sorry, Mike, but I think I have to disagree with you on this one. If at any point from the engine to the rear of the car, the pipes join or go into a common resonator or muffler, it is not a true dual exhaust.
Muscle car V-8's are possibly the best example of true dual exhausts. With headers you have two 4 into 1 sets of pipes that run the full length of the car with each pipe having its own muffler.
rick

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: R32, Where is the dual exhaust (ricsR32)

A sonic equalization (H) does not disqualify a dual exhaust from being dual (as seen on uniformly firing engines)
A pressure equalization (X) could possibly disqualify an exhaust sytem from being dual.
The new GTO has two exhaust systems, one for each bank, but without the pressure equalization necessary for cross plane crank V8s it sounds like ****. L R L L R L R R

·
Registered
4,370 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ricsR32 »
Sorry, Mike, but I think I have to disagree with you on this one. If at any point from the engine to the rear of the car, the pipes join or go into a common resonator or muffler, it is not a true dual exhaust.

Let's agree to disagree, then. Two manifolds, two downpipes, two oxygen sensors is "close enough" to qualify as dual exhaust for me. Certainly closer than only having one pipe all the way back, going into a muffler with two outlets... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
VW never ceases to employ technology that fall into a technical gray area for folks like you and me to debate over. ("Is the VR6 really a V-6 or just a shady inline-6?" "Does the VR6 really have dual overhead cams?" "Does Haldex count as a real AWD system?" etc.)

Mike

·
Registered
8,178 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mec_vw »

VW never ceases to employ technology that fall into a technical gray area for folks like you and me to debate over. ("Is the VR6 really a V-6 or just a shady inline-6?" "Does the VR6 really have dual overhead cams?" "Does Haldex count as a real AWD system?" etc.)

Mike

LOL - that is so true.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts

Let's agree to disagree, then. Two manifolds, two downpipes, two oxygen sensors is "close enough" to qualify as dual exhaust for me. Certainly closer than only having one pipe all the way back, going into a muffler with two outlets... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

As did the old 12V VR6..two manifolds into a dual downpipe merged into 1 at the CAT....nothing new there buddy.
Game over this is NOT dual exhaust. TRUE Dual exhaust is two separate pipes from the engine all the way to the rear of the car.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: R32, Where is the dual exhaust (GelbM3)

Ever look under a $90K porsche, got the same set up as the R32, good enough for porsche, good enough for me, when I get one of course. Besides, they sound amazing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: R32, Where is the dual exhaust (loveVR6)

A porsche 911? They have a dual exhaust.
The porsche boxster has a common muffler, but it may (internally) be completely separate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Who cares? Does this make it a lesser vehicle?
It sounds great, it run great! It has A##.

Modified by silbeR3.2 at 7:31 PM 3-4-2004

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: (silbeR3.2)

Truth is, EVERY "dual" exhuast has a balance pipe to equalize pressure across the pipes and also to improve sound in some cases. ANYTHING other than a typical, single-pipe exhaust and two pipes most of the way should be considered "dual". The dual outlets also reinforce the consideration of a dual system. Also - I don't know anyone who has disected the rear muffler assembly. It could use two seperate resonance chambers in one unit, or something to that effect. It's a pretty complicated rear muffler either way!

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Re: (Imola Yellow GTi)

Quote, originally posted by Imola Yellow GTi »
R32/TT3.2 has one exhaust with dual left right tip, stop making up facts

Thank you. I was gonna call BS, but you did it for me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
20,212 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ricsR32 »

Muscle car V-8's are possibly the best example of true dual exhausts. With headers you have two 4 into 1 sets of pipes that run the full length of the car with each pipe having its own muffler.

Exactly.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: (Imola Yellow GTi)

Quote, originally posted by Imola Yellow GTi »
R32/TT3.2 has one exhaust with dual left right tips, stop making up facts
some of you guys gotta get down from your high pedestal and open your mind to people who know
sure you own a real nice VW, but that doesn't x multiply your knowledge over ppl who may know more about cars
heck this isn't even a trivial matter pertaining to the exhaust

Modified by Imola Yellow GTi at 10:14 PM 3-4-2004

the spirit of this post/thread:
"hahah yeeaaah beeeatch, you all just got served... R32 does not have true dual exhaust... I really chumped you losers out... hahaha!"
what is the $*%&#*& point of dog$hizz like this!?!?????? We get the point Mr. Trollhauser McTrollenstein, the R32 is so weak... blah blah blah, it is just a car, either buy it or not. Me myself is gettin a blue one (or maybe black). You yourself can keep hatin'

-jfost

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Mike

this is a funny post. to me the cam thing is simple. if you consider the VR6 a true reinmotor(inline) then it has dual overhead cams, but if you consider it a V6(which I do) it is a single overhead cam engine. also, consider the fact that the old 12V had only 2 valves per cylinder makes it even more similar to SOHC motors.
i think this is why the plastic covers on the mk3 cars went from saying "VR6-DOHC" to the later "VR6-2.8" because they realized they are full of $hit.
either way, im just agreeing to disagree!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts