VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Re: R32 won't start... Fuel pump?? (FlyingFinn@Streetwerke)

yes there is a full tank of fuel in the car.

Garage have diagnosed the problem to be a faulty fuel pump, and have ordered a new one.

the total cost of the job (inc recovery of my car) is ÂŁ400 (UK)

With the cost of the fuel pump to be ÂŁ188.
I'm guessing they are charging about 4 hours labour inc diagnosing the fault.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problem on their R32

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Re: R32 won't start... Fuel pump?? (FlyingFinn@Streetwerke)

I haven't seen the bill yet - but I was guessing it was around 4 hours labour.

Seeing as the fuel pump costs about ÂŁ190, that leaves approx ÂŁ210 for labour, recovery and diagnostics.

Thinking about it, it's more likely to be 2 to 2.5 hours of labour. I'm sure the recovery part would have cost $$$

But fortunatly for me, I have a 3rd party warrenty which covers all of this

Re: R32 won't start... Fuel pump?? (OrlandoR)

Quote, originally posted by OrlandoR »

****ding, ding, ding**** you willl want to scan for codes, adcockman knows this becuase this happened to me last month.

Um, when I did the turbo install in my old car, I forgot to plug in that sensor, it would not try to start at all or any hint of it trying to catch light at any point, it would just crank endlessly. He did mention is tried to catch light, but stopped.

quick search lead to an old post...

I have the same problem as posted here and also have been told its a fuel pump. The only thing is that I see different places sell the fuel pump only and some with sending line and/or also seen a fuel pump assembly unit... can anyone direct me on which is needed for the same problem as above?

thanks.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
quick search lead to an old post...

I have the same problem as posted here and also have been told its a fuel pump. The only thing is that I see different places sell the fuel pump only and some with sending line and/or also seen a fuel pump assembly unit... can anyone direct me on which is needed for the same problem as above?

thanks.

Here are the part numbers from my original invoice (prices are correct late 2009, excluding taxes!)

1J0 919133A washer ÂŁ6.89
8L9 919051G module ÂŁ180.11 (this is the FUEL PUMP)
1J0 201511A Filter ÂŁ7.00 (Fuel filter)

I just replaced my fuel pump (main pump located on passenger side of tank. not the drivers side primper pump)

It cost me $380+tax from the dealership. and took me about 1.5hours to put in. ONLY because i couldnt figure out how to pull the original one out. I am working on doing a write up on how to replace the r32 fuel pump, because there is a pipe that comes from the secondary pump on the drivers side, which brings the fuel over closer to the main fuel pump. That tube is slid in on the side of the fuel pump in this tiny crevous built into the pump.

other than that, it took about 5 min to put back in and swap the plug and lines over. very easy.

Oh also, you should hear it start priming anytime you open the drivers door, and you should especially hear it prime when your turn the key to the 'on' position. if you dont, then its probably the pump. mine was making loud buzzing noises for about 3 months before it actually went up.

My Bentley CD is not working for some reason. Can someone tell me which relay is the fuel pump relay?

My pump decided to stop working this morning out the blue, worked fine last night. Just want to check the relay before I remove the pump.

My Bentley CD is not working for some reason. Can someone tell me which relay is the fuel pump relay?

My pump decided to stop working this morning out the blue, worked fine last night. Just want to check the relay before I remove the pump.
mine did just an hour ago, I tried a few things and it looks like it is the pump that is gone :(

I have my doubts about the fuse, it doesnt look burnt but it looks weird so I will replace it to see if that is but I doubt it.

who has one for cheap?? or where to get them on sale :)

mine did just an hour ago, I tried a few things and it looks like it is the pump that is gone :(

I have my doubts about the fuse, it doesnt look burnt but it looks weird so I will replace it to see if that is but I doubt it.

who has one for cheap?? or where to get them on sale :)
take out your pass back seat open take out the 3 screws to access fuel pump give it a few knocks with something and while your doing that have someone start it and if it turns on its your pump. i know cuz this **** just happened to mine 2

take out your pass back seat open take out the 3 screws to access fuel pump give it a few knocks with something and while your doing that have someone start it and if it turns on its your pump. i know cuz this **** just happened to mine 2
turned out to be my relay, I took it out banged it and re installed it and problem solved

I got a good fuse but voltage was 1.72 through the fuse and at the pump so the relay was not working.

This thread has helped me quite a bit, so I thought I would share.

At the begining of the week the R wouldn't start. I thought it was the battery, since it's old.

That wasn't it though. It also wasn't the fuel pump, coil packs, cranck position sensor or anything like that

I thought it was a faulty connection, so I checked them too......and still nothing

I took it to my mechanic and he says that the injectors are not opening. The injectors themselves are fine, but they aren't receiving the right signal. He checked to make sure everything was grounded correctly, and it was

So now he thinks the ECU might have a problem, or it isn't grounded properly. I called arround and couldn't find anything. Everyone is now closed for the holiday, so it isn't getting touched until tuesday probably

Anybody have a similar experience or advice on what out could be, or what I can check?

......i love the car more than anything I own, but I'm starting to think that enough is enough.......

Have seen a couple of situations where and ECM was needed.

I would try and see if the dealer can reflash your ECM (actually see them doing it), if they still do that, and see if that helps? Before buying another ECM, you know...

The injector idea does make sense. I had issues with my car having idling issues. It would randomly idle funny (200 rpms then coming back, then dropping) no matter what I would do it wouldn't work. Then it went away until my car died while driving. Now I have spent 300 bucks and no results. I might check the injectors with a meter and see if it is getting power.

So, it turns out mine was because Fuse #28 was bad. I replaced it and all is good. I was also told that there is an ECU relay in the engine bay. Check for a black box on the firewall on the drivers side. There is a gray topped relay that controls the ECU. If that doesnt tick when you try to start the car, its bad and needs replaced. Let me know if it works.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.