VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some help. I'am in the middle of a 16v swap and not sure on the wiring of the engine harness. I have a motor and harness out of a 1989 16v GTI (Mexico Production, not sure if this matters). What wires do I have to splice for harness power or anything else? I know for the tach, I think the wire for harness power is one of the plugs in the rain tray, but I'm not sure which one, and what to do with the rest. Any ideas or diagrams would be a huge help. Thanks
Signed

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: rabbit 16v wiring problems.... (DCIvwRadar)

I was in the same situation, and i got sick of hearing ten different people tell me ten different things. So I just swapped the entire harness out of my donor scirocco. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, and it will take you the good part of an afternoon to do it, but the only splicing you'll have to do with this method is non-engine related wiring plugs (taillights, etc). I would rather take the time to remove the harness the engine was originally intended to be run with, then start splicing up and rigging up another harness. Don't know if this helps you much, but it's what i did in your situation...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: rabbit 16v wiring problems.... (GolfFanatic2)

That's for the help but the problem with that is, the doner car is getting a different motor. It's my other project car, so I need the rest of the harness.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: rabbit 16v wiring problems.... (DCIvwRadar)

See if this helps at all, its for an '87 16v Scirocco into an 83/84 GTI. It may help you it may not.

[Modified by 83caddy16v, 5:21 PM 12-28-2002]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: rabbit 16v wiring problems.... (mattw)

I have that daigram and printed it for my 16v swap, but while I was pulling the harness I realized this is so simple. 4 power wires amd 2 grounds easy enough didn't even look at the daigram while doing the swap, started perfect the first time to

·
Registered
261 Posts
does anyone have a diagram home made or instructions on what to cut back what to keep when you swap out the cis for a set of carbs. im running msd 62l with 8980 timing computer and a icm. i need to know what i can cut back to on the fuse box and get rid of all this extra crap. im loosing my mind with this bently manual and i would really like some help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.