VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i bought an 84 rabbit 1.6 carbed about a month ago. drove it for 2 days and now it wont start. Here is the scenario leading to the not starting issue. I was driving the car the second day and i noticed the battery light was lit, the car continued to run flawlessly so i figured the battery voltage was under par and i was only traveling a few miles down the road. on the way back from this venture the car stalled and started roughly but still got me back to my house. the next day after work i looked under the hood and realized why the battery light came on, here the acc belt must have came off, thus not spinning my water pump but the car never overheated to my knowledge. so i replaced my belt, plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, and coil. im tired of doing R&R and it seems like im going nowhere. The car will start on occasion idle for a min then cut out and wont start again. the distributer gets power to it but i get no spark to the plugs :confused:. i have no clue what the hell is going on with it but i am getting angry with the scenario, ive never had this happen to any of my cars.

help would be great, thanks,
mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car has a aftermarket high flow electric fuel pump its pushing around 2.5psi and you can smell the fuel dumping into the car. ive pulled the spark plugs out and cranked the engine and can not see any form of spark from the plugs. ive also used a test light and its getting electricity from the coil to the distrubuter. any other ideas?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car has a aftermarket high flow electric fuel pump its pushing around 2.5psi and you can smell the fuel dumping into the car. ive pulled the spark plugs out and cranked the engine and can not see any form of spark from the plugs. ive also used a test light and its getting electricity from the coil to the distrubuter. any other ideas?
the car came stock with a mechanical fuel pump

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
wrong cap or rotor? Bad plug wires? did you ground the spark plug while testing it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I grounded the plug to the block and the cap and rotor seem to be correct as stated before it does start ocasonally. Any way to test the distrubtur? Or possibly anyother reson for this to happen?

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Does your car have the Bosch "Hall-Effect" electronic ignition distributor?

If so, the Hall-Effect sending unit inside the distributor may be defective. This would prevent the firing of the coil to send voltage to the plug wires.

Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
1961 Beetle, 2019 e-Golf
991 Posts
...i was only traveling a few miles down the road. on the way back from this venture the car stalled and started roughly but still got me back to my house. the next day after work i looked under the hood and realized why the battery light came on, here the acc belt must have came off, thus not spinning my water pump but the car never overheated to my knowledge. ...
I think the odds are very high that the engine was indeed overheated during this time. If it was running flawlessly before, then the hard start and now mysterious problems I think you need to check compression and also look for signs of coolant in the oil and in the combustion chambers.

Sometimes these cars can overheat seriously and the gauge will not let you know, the sender unit is located in a water outlet and if the coolant level gets too low the temp indicator will actually fall even as the engine temp rises (this is even more of a problem on later cars with plastic coolant flanges).

It's my suspicion that the headgasket and/or warped cylinder head may be the cause of your issues. Good luck with your Rabbit!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the odds are very high that the engine was indeed overheated during this time. If it was running flawlessly before, then the hard start and now mysterious problems I think you need to check compression and also look for signs of coolant in the oil and in the combustion chambers.

Sometimes these cars can overheat seriously and the gauge will not let you know, the sender unit is located in a water outlet and if the coolant level gets too low the temp indicator will actually fall even as the engine temp rises (this is even more of a problem on later cars with plastic coolant flanges).

It's my suspicion that the headgasket and/or warped cylinder head may be the cause of your issues. Good luck with your Rabbit!
I thank you for the response but I feel asthough up maybe missing something if the head gasket was own or.head was warped jt would toss white smoke and such from the tail pipe. Ill look into it but on the same note my oil pressure is still nice and high. I am not a volkswagon tech so maybe your right it just seems odd that overheating and engine would make a car loose spark :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts