VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the going rate for a Rabbit GTI cluster, with a working odometer?

218K miles on it, and everything works as it should.

I found a "Rabbit" cluster on ebay, but it was $500, and it's for a Convertible.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Depends greatly on verifiable condition.

Range $99 (unverified, some flaws) to $899 NOS in box.

Reactions: thescirocco.com

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Plugged in and running would be best. “Worked when removed, 5 years ago”, doesn’t inspire confidence.

I have seen unverified ones selling anywhere from $50-$100. I suppose it also depends on how desperate the buyer is.

Fwiw, I’ve recently had a cluster with a working odometer, but the trip meter was flaky.… it’s usually the other way around. Here’s my test rig, lol. I’ll usually log 20-30 miles. Clicking from .9 to 0 is usually where they get stuck.

Plant Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I had it apart several times and couldn’t figure it out.

-Todd

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
For reference:

Is yours 85mph or 120mph? 120mph GTI clusters are supposedly rare and desirable, but you could probably swap in a 120 from a Cabby.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plugged in and running would be best. “Worked when removed, 5 years ago”, doesn’t inspire confidence.

I have seen unverified ones selling anywhere from $50-$100. I suppose it also depends on how desperate the buyer is.

Fwiw, I’ve recently had a cluster with a working odometer, but the trip meter was flaky.… it’s usually the other way around. Here’s my test rig, lol. I’ll usually log 20-30 miles. Clicking from .9 to 0 is usually where they get stuck.

View attachment 147389

I had it apart several times and couldn’t figure it out.

-Todd
Thanks Todd!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For reference:

Is yours 85mph or 120mph? 120mph GTI clusters are supposedly rare and desirable, but you could probably swap in a 120 from a Cabby.
It's a 120MPH cluster.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cabby cluster looks different and I think the cable connection is also different.

Seems Cabby clusters are sought after, nowadays.

-Todd
Really, I have some of those, too, still in the dash.

The dude on ebay, told me, he just went by what the junkyard wrote on it, Rabbit.

I also have a 120mph speedo in the Pickup I'm selling.

I'm going to hook it up to my drill, and record it.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
the OXS gear on those speedos seems to cause them to lock up. if you look at a disassembled odo the brass gearing and reset pins seems like it would deadlock the odometer

the trick is never push the reset trip meter button while youre rolling. doing so can severely damage the gear

how much are they worth? whole units? "tested" yeah about $100 depending on the condition
the real fuzz will be the blue/green circuit foil on the back

judging by that 218K example above, its pretty good condition. i would expect it will start having issues and require a little TLC to make it last another 200K or 30 years.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the OXS gear on those speedos seems to cause them to lock up. if you look at a disassembled odo the brass gearing and reset pins seems like it would deadlock the odometer

the trick is never push the reset trip meter button while youre rolling. doing so can severely damage the gear

how much are they worth? whole units? "tested" yeah about $100 depending on the condition
the real fuzz will be the blue/green circuit foil on the back

judging by that 218K example above, its pretty good condition. i would expect it will start having issues and require a little TLC to make it last another 200K or 30 years.

I found a "Rabbit" cluster on ebay, but it was $500, and it's for a Convertible.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Keep that running for another 30K miles and I'll be interested in buying it, assuming it still works then. My car's ODO is currently behind about 55K miles. I calculated how long the hand drill would take to add those miles and it was over a year running days and nights.

If I recall correctly, I was only going about 45MPH also.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Unless someone knows how to safely disassemble these digits and set them forward? Please MSG me if that's possible. I don't mean to thread jack.
It's not a jacking , just a digression. It happens, don't worry about it.

Yes, it's easier than you think to change the mileage. The hardest part is removing the circuit board without breaking anything. Not a problem on a like new one, but most of these are some degree of crispy after 40 years.

Lordy, Lordy, my Caddy's Forty!! 😀

Clock Wood Measuring instrument Jewellery Auto part

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Any chance you have a picture of the back? I believe mine had some sort of springy reset mechanism that I was afraid would explode on me if I tried disassembling it.
Sorry, no photos of the back.

I remember it being fairly easy. I think there is some info out there somewhere. I believe Brian0123 has how to?

As I recall, I was able to disengage the gear easily and then adjust as desired.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If I recall correctly, I was only going about 45MPH also.
That’s probably the max speed with a drill, which is why I used my buffer. A rotary tool would be faster, but very rotary tool I tried spun the wrong direction.

That springy thing is behind the face and wouldn’t be touched, to adjust the mileage. It’s not difficult.

-Todd

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not a jacking , just a digression. It happens, don't worry about it.

Yes, it's easier than you think to change the mileage. The hardest part is removing the circuit board without breaking anything. Not a problem on a like new one, but most of these are some degree of crispy after 40 years.

Lordy, Lordy, my Caddy's Forty!! 😀

View attachment 148093
That 85MPH speedo reminded me, I used to cut the needle stop at 85MPH off, making it a ~100MPH speedo. :)
Speed confirmed with the tach...

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
With a bit of common sense, setting the mileage is really easy. Making a write up would be like having instructions on putting together a puzzle. A video would probably be best. When I put a GTI cluster in my POS, I adjusted the GTI odometer to the original miles. The tach was a simple swap too [who needs a clock?].

Most German clusters [no matter what the manufacturer] are very similar. I learned how to fix Mercedes clusters at the dealership by one of the technicians. They have similar issues with the odometer not turning.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts