VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im tryin to get rid of the ghey locking gas cap on my mk1 jetta coupe, but the cap off my rabbit gti doesnt fit. i thought all the mk1 caps fit the same, are they different or something wrong with my fillerneck?

· Registered
3,579 Posts
Re: rabbit vs. jetta gas cap = different? (1.8TBEOUT)

I'm sure someone with a non locking one would trade ya. I would, but in oregon, can't pump my own fuel (state law to keep tweakers employed). Its hard enough to get them to put the cap on much less have to give em a key to open it.
put a wtt in the classfieds.

· Banned
3,781 Posts
3 different caps..
threaded german, usually diesel..
german 2 tab is smaller the other
westy 2 tab is bigger then german
none of these are vented by the way.. the turn over valve is different for vent/no vent cis requires pressure in the tank to work properly.. diesel does not.. carb has a differen ttank then both so ill assume they also have a specific turn over valve.
its just a where its built thing. p.s. this does not include 84.5+ cabby..

Modified by crsmp5 at 2:38 PM 3-21-2010

· Registered
3,579 Posts
Re: (brobs is back)

don't forget that the cap itself came in lots of variations. i have one that almost looks like an oil cap on top, but sharper. almost looks like it needs a trim ring to really pull it off. then you had the snowflake looking ones. to the op. If you want the one I mentioned above, you could have it for five bucks or whatever it takes to ship it. it works on my 81 jetta diesel. I've used both the vented and nonvented and have never noticed any difference on my various diesels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.