VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, winter's only a few months away here in Jersey, and I'm concerned. This is my first winter as a rabbit owner, and I need to know how the thing handles in the snow. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
8,253 Posts
Re: rabbits + snow = ? (knowtwodrugs)

make sure your anti freeze is to proper levels and mixtures.
have good allseason or snow tires on um.. stock sizes
remove duck bill before a snow bank does that for you.
plug in your block heater (if you have one)
let warm up...cabin heat is based off of rad fluid temp...so that reminds me to put a winter front on the grill..to trap in the engine heat.
there good lil cars...can cut threw snow well...and are fun to drive in winter....
I have drivin rabbits for many winters now..and the only thing that scares me is everyone else....not driving according to the weather and getting into an accident..because our cars would deff be a wright off...

but other than that...dress warm and have fun.

· Registered
10,716 Posts
Re: rabbits + snow = ? (jonny_breakz)

I tool around in my rabbit every Connecticut winter with 195/50-15 Nitto 450 tires. This is probably the worst setup possible, as they wont grip the snow and they are pretty fat, but I still cruise around with little problem. The only issue really is going DOWN steep hills.. the car will slip a decent amount. If you toss some snows on the stock wheel size, you shouldn't get stuck.

· Registered
43,861 Posts
Re: rabbits + snow = ? (Jesse)

rabbits + snow =

i drive one of my rabbits all year round with stock snow flakes and all season tires and it is great. like stated above make sure you are not running a duckbill and that your coolant is in check.
Id also advise that you use some rainx on the windows and outside mirrors along with some of that winter windshield wiper fluid.. the kind that dont freeze... other than that have fun and steer clear of the suv's that are too big for owners to clean the windows off of.

· Registered
58 Posts

Quote, originally posted by knowtwodrugs »
So, winter's only a few months away here in Jersey, and I'm concerned. This is my first winter as a rabbit owner, and I need to know how the thing handles in the snow. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

My first Rabbit years ago was a '79 automatic. In the winter, I would put on a set of studded snow tires and that thing could go ANYWHERE. My friends and I called it "the animal" because it would just claw it's way up slippery hills.

· Registered
1,953 Posts

I run my caddy's and my 82 in the snow and they are great. A set of 175/70-13 Blizzak's and the only think that can pass me is my brothers Audi Quattro. I have had the best luck in the snow with stock ride hight and stock springs with no sway bars but running stock rabbit GTI sway bars seems to be ok. And stock toe and camber if you run wild negative camber and are slammed it won't do very well in the snow. Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
2,408 Posts

I'm from NH and use snow tires on all 4 corners. I got a deal on the front snow tires and was able to get directional snow tires for the front for the same price. I use them on 13" turbine style wheels.

But you're in NJ...so I'd just use all seasons on steelies.

· Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: rabbits + snow = ? (TimboAA)

Yes, some good snow tires on all 4's is an awesome setup. I used to run a set of 145R13 Kleber snow tires (no longer available) on my '78 Rabbit and '81 Caddy and they were unstoppable. It would cruise effortlessly over stuff you could not even stand up on.
The other great addition for snow is a limited slip diff up front. I took my Quaiffe-equipped '82 Caddy on a trip with my 4WD club (my 4x4 was down for repairs) a few years back. One road we went up (4WD recommended) I got up easily including the steep snow/ice covered stretch at the top that a few of the 4x4s could not make it up. Some decent all-season tires and a limited slip works better than off-road mud tires and open diffs in conditions like that.
This photos was after the snowy climb, about 8000' in the Panamint Mountains of eastern CA:

Snow was melted on top, but still on all the shaded slopes below.

· Registered
960 Posts
I drove my GTi in the tail end of this winter here in Ct. I did alot of Highway and backroad driving and it wasn't too bad, but going from a 4X4 SUV to a rabbit was hard. The worst thing is that it is so damn light. I have 185/60/14's on flakes and I struggled to get up a lot of steeper hills. 1st and 2nd gears were a waste most of the time with it being a one legger, tires just spin... and they have bad torque steer too, give it too much gas and the curbs will bite ya. With a little more attention paid a rabbit can do very very well in the winter time.

· Registered
3,088 Posts

The best thing to do if you plan on driving in alot of snow, is get a spare set of 13 inchers and some skinny all season tires (like 155 width). You might be surprised at how well they work in snow.
Don't be surprised if they squeal on dry pavement though, my gti could smokem from a roll-on in 2nd and it probably made all of 110 at the motor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.