VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was racing at the light against a 02' M3, got beat around the 45mph range.
While I was hitting my VR6 to 5500 and letting my sweet VR6 howl, that BMW M3 let out a howl that I can only describe as sounding very similar to VTEC engines.
Why!? I thought M3s are supposed to sound like inline-6 which should produce a deeper and hollower sound, instead of this high pitch, weak school bus like sound.
Can anybody confirm with me that stock M3 sounded this crappy or I'm hearing wrong?

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (Traderx25)

I doubt that the M3 sounded "crappy", I would personaly love to hear a perfectly tuned bavarian inline 6 rev to 8000 rpm's thats said, it will sound differently than the former cars, and also you were "racing" him, so he would be in the high rpm range thuse not prooducing the very deep notes that your talking about, also I doubt BMW would let this car out of the factory if it sounded bad.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (Jettavr666)

/\
I agree. The M3 is a real revver engine, building torque even high in the RPM range through variable timing trickery. It pulls real long up to 8000RPM, and any motor spinning that quickly is going to sound mighty strange (and good, IMO).
So the character of the engine is revvy, kinda like a VTEC-equipped Honda on paper on a larger scale. I doubt it really did sound "crappy" though.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (Brad Jar)

honda wishes it had an inline six that is at all like the M3 engine.

·
Registered
16,767 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It sounded like a TypeR's VTEC, high-nasal sound not throaty. [HR][/HR]​
That's how they all sound. They aren't really throaty.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (maskedSONY)

quote:[HR][/HR]honda wishes it had an inline six that is at all like the M3 engine. [HR][/HR]​
Well, they do. They're not "the same engine" or anything like that, but they behave similarily...both revver engines with HP peaks that belie their small, if adequate torque down low. A 200HP 2.0L four feels a lot different than, say, a 200HP 2.8L VR6; in the same breath, a 333HP inline six doesn't feel the same as a Corvettes' 330HP smallblock.
BMW 3.2L straight 6
Horsepower: 333hp @ 7900 rpm
Torque: 262ft-lbs. @ 4900 rpm
Acura 2.0L inline 4
Horsepower: 200hp @ 7400 rpm
Torque: 142ft-lbs. @ 6000 rpm
They're the same type of engine, obsiously. Scale the Honda up by a factor of 1.6, and you get 320HP and 230LB-FT.
Without getting too deep into specific outputs, I think if you'd have to agree that the BMW and the RSX engines at least behave in a similar way. Anything spinning at 8K is gonna sound a little frenzied.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (Mach22)

Thats interesting. One of my friends raced one on the turnpike in his 01 Z06 a couple weeks back. He said the M3 didnt sound that great, kinda like what was described above. I foudn it odd because you read alot of magazines that say its sounds great.
BTW, the M3 kept up very well from what he said

·
Registered
3,284 Posts

Sometimes the most correct answer is the simplest. If the M3 sounded like a VTEC engine, then maybe it's because there are more similiarities than just both being "revvy" engines.
In this case, the cause is VANOS, BMW's proprietary variable cam profile system. I'm not fully aware of all the mechanical similiarities so I'll leave that to someone else. But there, in a nutshell, is your answer.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (Mach22)

Ok, thanx for the replies..
I'm convinced that the M3 doesn't sound that great, however the typical guy that drives the M3 doesn't need to get noticed by the sounding anyways.
I still think it looks like an awesome car, just was dissappointed with it's TypeR's howl.
Of all the Japanese cars I thought the WRX's howl sounded pretty nice. Throaty, forceful, and not as sub-dued..

·
Registered
11,567 Posts

If this was mk4 forum, i would see a lock in your future
Veruckt (sp?) seems pretty anal about no "street-racing" stories.
Oh well.
my mom has a 325 and it dos whine a lot at high rpms. Not that i ever took it past 3k....

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (tmerc)

quote:[HR][/HR]V6 not inline like the BMW and it doesn't have 6 individual throttle bodies either
[HR][/HR]​
People were comparing I4s to I6s. V6s are at least 6 cylinders..

·
Registered
41,826 Posts

I always think it's funny when people say VTEC engines sound screechy/crappy... in my experience it's the SOHC Hondas that sound like crap, while the DOHC VTEC engines have a glorious sportbike/F1/etc. howl, and sound much punchier at lower revs.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (AKADriver)

quote:[HR][/HR]I always think it's funny when people say VTEC engines sound screechy/crappy... in my experience it's the SOHC Hondas that sound like crap, while the DOHC VTEC engines have a glorious sportbike/F1/etc. howl, and sound much punchier at lower revs.[HR][/HR]​
When a Honda with a huge exhaust/huge tip hits VTEC, it resonates really badly and sounds terrible. I like the sound of the GSR/ITR hitting VTEC with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (matt007)

I would have to disagree with people who say the M3 sounded like VTEC. First of all, you really have to drive to understand. My 95 M3 didn't sound like VTEC and the 2002 M3 I drove didn't sound like VTEC. I think that many people are being really broad in what they are compairing. You really have to judge by yourself.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Re: Raced with a 02' M3, that car sounded like VTEC!? (A2JET)

IMO it does not sound like aHonda with VTEC at all...sounds like a damn race car to me, I love the wail of BMW's I-6, and hearing it scream to 8000 RPM"s is music to my ears! Oh i saw a black one yesterday BTW, car looked awesome, just looked mean!
Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.