VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just wanted to post my findings from my new purchase. on friday i i bought a set on raceland coils for my mk5 jetta, it was either them or a set of h&r sport springs.

my cousin and i installed them on sunday and i had a chance to really test them out later on that evening and today on my way to and from work. they ride just as well as my stock suspension ( car equipped with oem sport springs) they are just as stiff with little to no bounce. i have a 1/4 inch left on the front coils and a half inch on the rear. i can honestly say that if you are low on cash or on a budget go for these.

please note that before installation make sure that the welds holding little tab on the front shock is flat, i had to grind mine down in order to get it in the slot.

i do wish they had more threads to go lower but its what you get for around $400.

and as you all know make sure you have all the tools that you need to do the job.

ie: sockets, impact gun, spring compressor, **** 14mm 12point (borrowed it from a nice tech at the Mississauga VW dealer) and a 6mm 12 point. it will also help if you have some open ended sockets that you can stick the 6mm 12 point into while ratcheting the nut for the endlink attached to the shock body.

i will update after i have a couple more weeks on them.

to order in the US you can visit their site
in Canada please contact Euroline performance as they are the distributor for Canada.

Comments and questions are welcome. ( please not do not bash cheap coils as not everyone has loads of money to blow on car parts :D)

Before

After

Cheers! :beer::cool:

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well spending $1000+ on coils that are amazing vs. spending $400 on decent coils that ride great i dunno, i dont plan on tracking the car and i dont plan on keeping the car for more that 5 years. i cannot justify spending an extreme amount of money on that. the purpose of this thread is to let people know that these dont ride like they do on mk2 and mk3. i would personally rather chip my car and lower it than just lower it for that amount, but thats just me. im sure there are a lot of people on a budget like i stated previously in my original post.

keep the questions coming! :)

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Thanks I will go and have a look there!!

As others have said keep us updated on them, as very much of us are also in your postion where we have lives and school or familys and cannot afford $1500+ on coils and $3000+ on rims and etc.

For those of you about to chime in and bash Dasius for buying cheap coils or me for supporting him, go suck a D. We are all car enthusiests here and should not be bashed or looked at poorly because we do not have as much money as you. This hobby isn't about money, or post counts, or senority, or anything else like that, it's about cars, V-Dubs, and stance, and Dasius has a nice V-Dub with great stance!!

Just remember the old saying, if you aint got anything nice to say, shut the f**k up! ;)

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words,

as for more pictures i will try and do a shoot this coming weekend or maybe even monday after i get my tints re-done ( too light they said those were 20%) so now im getting them done to 5% :D

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so it has been exactly a week since i have had them installed and i have noticed that after they have settled, they ride great. i haven't bottomed out or anything bad on them. the bounce that some people say they have is barely noticeable unless your looking for it. I am very happy with my " cheap coil over purchase" for the price i would say to everyone on a budget to get them, i could not be happier for the amount of money that was spent.

as you all should know from reading stuff on the vortex, take everything with a grain of salt, in the end its your car and your money.

i hope that my little review will help some finalize their decision on what the should purchase.

Cheers!:)

· Registered
1,005 Posts
how many miles do you put on your car on weekly basis? mostly highway? City? Road conditions?

maybe you should keep upating this post, say every month or so... to keep those interested in Racelands updated. what would be nice if other owners chime in to and say how long they have owned them their driving conditions, how many miles they have on them, how good/bad they are, and stuff like that.

most suspension threads to initial reviews but rarely do follow up more than a week later. i think one of the only ways show that Racelands are "cheap" or if they are a decent affordable alternative is with many opinions from people who own them and tell about how they have held up over a long period of time or miles or rough road conditions.

anyways.... Good luck with the Racelands! the car looks great and i would love to see more pictures!

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i will try my best to keep a long term update.

as for the roads that i drive on they are 90% city but this past week it was an adventure of different types of roads from the freshly ripped pavement to nice smooth roads. the main road i travel on is quite bad as it needs to be resurfaced. no matter what car i have driven on it it shakes you up pretty bad.

these coils have been fantastic on it and i have not had bounce like i did in my mk2 on vmaxx's, i drive about 500 km per week which is a full tank of gas.

on the hwy the car handles great and over the bridge connections responds like it should, you get the uplift when going over like when it was stock but the car gets back down quickly and stabilizes instantly.

as for more pics i have been dealing with an issue with the guy that did my tints he said they were 20% but look more like 35%, he said that if i want them darker he has to charge me for the work again.
i recently replaced the glass on the driver door because there were severe scratches on the glass on the outside, when comparing the tint to the clear glass they look almost identical. so this week i will be battling it out with the prick of a guy to get my money back and i will take my business elsewhere.
so the photos will not be up until i get that fixed.

thanks for the encouragement and i will try my best to keep this updated.
the next update will be when i get my tints fixed with more pics and possible ride height adjustment :)

Cheers!:beer:

· Registered
2,834 Posts
If you need help with Tint let me know, I have a buddy here in Kitchener that did mine, the quality of his work is fanominal and much more detail oriented then ive ever seen. He tints wayy below the window line and leaves 0 gap at the top of the glass. Covers the 3rd brake light and all. I got 15% all round, the fancey stuff with aluminum core or whatever, paid $250 cash, looks pure black, not green or blue or purple, lifetime warrenty!

· Registered
1,334 Posts
i will try my best to keep a long term update.
I'll give you a long term update right now..

UPDATE:

I installed the Racelands last August and have since put over 18,000 miles on them. At first, I thought they rode comparable to stock. I don't know what I was smoking back then, or if the hardware flexed over time, but the ride is pretty damn bouncy. I had more body roll with the Racelands compared to the stock suspension.

My front passenger shock just blew out :thumbdown: Had to throw the stock suspension. It's nice to be able to drive my car again :laugh:

All in all, the coils served me well. I just needed a decent drop and for the price of $280 I couldn't resist the purchase.

The fact that my shock finally blew does not surprise me or worry me at all. These coils took a beating on nasty Pennsylvania roads. They were also spun all the way down the entire time they were on the car, so this added to the limited lifespan.

I've heard of many other drivers with H&R, Koni and FK's that have blown out struts. Some of you Raceland haters honestly need to shut the hell up.

FACT: My sway bar end link tab welds were perfectly fine and held up during the time spent on the car.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so another week has gone by and another 500km on the suspension, took it down to Niagara falls Canada, long hwy ride. they responded great on the road but did notice some pull ( had an alignment done this week after the trip) the roads in Niagara are fantastic so no complaints there, i have noticed a little more bounce out of the suspension but i think its mostly the road i was driving on (it had waves onf bumps) the car stuck to the road though.

also added the BFI torque arm insert and i must say that it is the best mod you can do for that little money.

i will be buffing the car out this weekend so i will shoot some pics after that :)

cheers till the next update..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.