VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about a sponsorship from Racer X Motorsport? Now owned by Sport Compact Pro. They always have the ad in Turbo magazine about getting sponsored. Anyway I went to their site back in Dec03 and submitted my info, specs and pics of my car.
So I got a contract in the mail yesterday and they offered me their premiere level sponsor which basically works like this: You get up to 55% off parts/labor from the list of manufacturers they work with, they will spend up to $12k per year on your car. The list has good stuff, like Sparco, Greddy, Turbonetics, Hawke etc. I just wanted to know ahead of time if anyone has done it and actually how much you get off on stuff like Sparco.
Your part of the contract is paying a $79 annual fee to cover legal fees on the contract, phone calls, email etc and they say they also donate some of it to a fund called Victims of Illegal Street Racing, which they say is 100% tax deductable. You also have to attend 4 local or national events, either shows or races and you must take pics of your car at the events showing their stickers and the stickers of the products.
not too bad in my opinion since I already planned to show and race anyway, so it's basically like paying a $79 fee to get bog discounts.
So I want to hear anything good or bad that you guys/gals have seen or heard.....not just speculation.
thanks
Fred

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Re: Racer X Sponsorship (16vracer)

i don't have experience with the sponsorship but i do agree that it seems like a great idea based on your description and prospects to show/race the car.
good luck.

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Racer X Sponsorship (kilmer420)

Quote, originally posted by kilmer420 »
sing me up

Wiat until I actually get my contract back and I get like $10 per person that I refer

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

I've heard of this and from what I was told it's pretty ghey. You only get the discount on certain parts and supposedly it's all the typical r!cer accessories. Again, this is just word of mouth though.

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Racer X Sponsorship (barelyboosting1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by barelyboosting1.8t »
I've heard of this and from what I was told it's pretty ghey. You only get the discount on certain parts and supposedly it's all the typical r!cer accessories. Again, this is just word of mouth though.

damn. I don't need a whole lot from them. I need a passenger side sparco, race wheels/tires, maybe breaks. THey don't have Garrett or ATP so I don't know. They say to call about stuff not listed

·
Registered
477 Posts

Read this thread that was posted on forum that's local to me........

I have no view or experience with them, but I know trust the opinion of the guy on there listed as rdrkt that's on this thread...........lots of locals have been burned by them around here.
http://www.turboforum.net/foru...cer+x

Edit - You might have to register before viewing....so here is a quote from that thread. This was made by a guy that has been tuning and racing DSM's for quite a while....he was looking for their assistance with the car he owns and runs now....a dsm that traps 130+mph.
Quote »
Ah Yes Racer-X. Every time I think about these guys it makes my freaking blood boil. I did a bit of background checking into these guys before I made a decision. They are a major suppler for quite a few shops like Altered Atmosphere etc. I had MANY LONG conversations with the owner. I was promised all sorts of things half of parts, half off race gas, free dyno time, discount on rebuilt transmissions, labor etc. I even called the guy who they sponsor John Shepherd and talked to him about RacerX. He said they (RacerX) seemed like stand up guys. I also went down to Delaware and took a tour of their shop. The owner seemed like a pretty cool guy even though he wasn’t all that technical. I caught him making all sorts of mistakes but I really didnt think anything of it because he is the owner not a mechanic.
So I decided what the heck 80 bucks for free shipping and all the things they promised sounded good deal. So back in October I paid my money and started the waiting game. See I was ready to spend about 3k that winter which I told him. Infact I was ready to start my project that day but I waited to get the better deal. Well he kept me waiting by stalling, lying what have you until Jan 1 when I finally lost my patience. The thing that pisses me off the most about this is that they really pick on the people that are desperate. The guys that really want to go fast but don’t necessarily have the money to do it.
Well when my “contract” FINALLY came late December I read over it. Keep in mind that I was ready to start ordering parts in late October and I have been stalling all winter to get the deal. They said I would have the contract my mid November at that LATEST. Yeah right!
Then the catches became clear. It really isn’t 52% off parts. Its up to 52% off parts. Its really X% above cost. I think its 8% or something like that above cost is what they give you. So the show cars with body kits get huge breaks but I don’t get ANY discounts on most of the stuff I need because they have a really low margin on them. But I am a racer not a ***** so that didn’t help me at all.
The parts were still only the beginning of the equation though. Even if the parts were a hair cheaper than everyone else and they were shipped for free it would still be a decent deal. But when I read my contract I saw that dyno time isn’t free until you spend a LOT of money with them. They also don’t have access to Altered’s dyno like the said they did. So I was out of luck there. They also didn’t have a deal set up with VP racefuels yet so no gas either. They also don’t have any nice deals worked out with Shepherd for cheap rebuilt trannys.
But even still I wanted to hold out a bit more so my time and money wouldn’t be wasted. So I called him just about every day from right around Xmas until New Years trying to order parts. All I got was a lot of BS excuses.
If you do your homework you can find people selling HKS cams and other brand name products right around 12% above cost and you don’t have to jump through any hoops. Which is exactly what I did. On January 3rd I called a DSM vendor ordered my 3k worth of parts for this season and I had them a week later. No hassle no BS.
Anyone that has talked to me or met me realizes that I am not a violent or tough guy in anyway shape or form. But heaven help me if I see one of these guys at the track when I am racing. These ****ers cost me 3 months. I could have had my car done and tuned with all the bugs worked out by now. Instead I am still in the working out bug process and I haven’t hit the dyno yet even though we are 3 weeks into the start of the drag race season. In closing **** those ****ing ****ers. Let as many people as possible now how full of **** they are so they wont waste their time or money.

Modified by MK420v at 4:51 PM 2-11-2004

Modified by MK420v at 4:52 PM 2-11-2004

Modified by MK420v at 4:53 PM 2-11-2004

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

Well, I'd say it's worth looking into. Just make sure and find out EXACTLY what will be available and what discount you get on THOSE SPECIFIC items you want. Greddy, Sparco, and Turbonetics discounts are GREAT but it doesn't do much good if they are only discounting keychains and sh!t.

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Racer X Sponsorship (barelyboosting1.8t)

I did some searching over at Clubsi and yeah it seems like a scam. You tell them what you want and basically they tell you where to go buy it cheaper/wholesale. The main places they send you are Mantaray Motorsport, Airbornemotorsports and somewhere else

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

True. That's funny, they are all about keeping peeps from streetracing yet it's ok to scham their members and basically false advertise.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
598 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 16vracer »

damn. I don't need a whole lot from them. I need a passenger side sparco, race wheels/tires, maybe breaks. THey don't have Garrett or ATP so I don't know. They say to call about stuff not listed

i'd try to avoid the "breaks"

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Racer X Sponsorship (cbring)

Quote, originally posted by cbring »

i'd try to avoid the "breaks"

Me too

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: Racer X Sponsorship (Bob16v)

Its a scam. Or I should say it is a marketing ploy to get you to shop with them. Everyone who applies gets offered a "sponsorship".
I paid the $80 bucks and got the t-shirts and decals but the first couple of times I went to buy something the prices were crap. The first thing I wanted was my Clutchmaster stg III--I got it cheaper from ATP. The second was a Blow off valve for my neighbor--he found it cheaper somewhere else. In all fairness to Racer X, I did not check prices on anything else. I called my Credit Card company and had the $80 dollars charged back to me. They did but said that Racer X had the right to protest the charge back. They never protested in the allowed 8 weeks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Racer X is on 202 right near 7-11 and McDs. I went in this summer and they didn't really stock any parts. They said they could order stuff since they have contracts with ATP, and some other companies but they also said they wouldn't be able to get it any cheaper than ATPs website. Why would I pay for a middle man to get me parts when ATP will ship them directly to my door?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Re: (GTI20thAEinDE)

I just wanted to check to see if was the same place. I kinda know the owner and a buddy of mine was the mechanic there. My opinion is to stay away from the sponsorship. I think that was one of the causes of the "shop" closing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts