VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least here in Quebec, we're losing our local racetracks at an alarming pace, in part due to lack of finance and interest, but almost more importantly due to pressures to close from the municipalities. Local residents are the squeaky wheels and every last one of our circuits have had to endure thousands of complaints about noise pollution over their lifespan.

Now in my point of view, these racetracks have been operating for far longer than most of these residents have been alive, which begs the question "why the **** would you move close to a racetrack if you feel so strongly against the noise they inevitably create?" But if we look past that, are there any solutions your local racetracks have used to try and please their locals? Do sound barriers and dense vegetation do reasonable jobs @ dulling the harshness of motorsports? What works in the US at easing the sound complaints? Or are you seeing the same endless back-and-forth between track and squeaky wheel?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Laguna Seca simply made much lower dB levels a requirement to use the track.
They might have a literal handfull of less restrictive events on the calendar, but google search for Laguna Exhaust to see what participants need to do to meet their regulation.

Now the odd bit to me is --- if we just had a lower sound limit everywhere, it would not be that hard to design an effective muffler system into the cars to begin with. At very little power loss.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
866 Posts
Lime Rock has been fighting for the right to race on Sundays for years due to some old rule that prioritizes church services. The track is literally in the middle of the woods with like 25 houses within a mile of the track and there are still complaints, issues, and yearly debates. Basically, outside of major races, those DB limiters are the only way it seems, otherwise, they would never survive.

·
Premium Member
18,834 Posts
Yeah, we have the same at Waterford Hills. 75dB.

The exhaust solutions are equally hilarious. Most drivers bring a 45° downturn with a slit in it and slip it on for the day. Some add extra glas-packs a la the LS situation. It can get very funny looking.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Alcohol is a solution.

Slightly related...DIA in Denver was built 25 years ago in what was then a bunch of farm fields. There was a small racetrack nearby called Second Creek. Over the years, housing developments got closer and closer until finally Second Creek closed. Now, housing developments and industrial warehouse parks along I-70/E-470 are being built right under the incoming flight paths for DIA runways. I predict within another 10 years, DIA will look like Midway in Chicago

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
866 Posts
Lime Rock park (CT) used to not race on Sundays. I just did a search, and it looks like Sunday racing is in the courts.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Lime-Rock-race-park-feud-heads-to-Supreme-Court-14830643.php
Thanks for posting that. Lime Rock feels they need Sunday races to survive, but a 60 year old agreement is at issue. This is scary:

If the citizens council and the zoning commission win their appeal, overturning his right to race on Sunday, Barber said he’ll stop hosting professional races altogether.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Even being in the middle of nowhere doesn't always help. There was an effort to put in a new track a few years ago in the middle of farm country. Most parcels nearby were 50 acres+. Once word got out that a racetrack was planned, the local farmers/ranchers came by with their torches and pitchforks and got the permit denied. Afraid the cows would be annoyed I guess.

It's not just noise- encroaching development also tends to cause the racetrack itself to sell out. They start out in the boonies but end up on prime real estate. We recently lost Texas World Speedway (North of Houston) due to housing development. Long story short, the race track had a tax value of around $8 million and the housing development had an anticipated tax value of $300 million. Guess which one the city preferred to have?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Now that Burning Man is cancelled, there is a nice Playa available. It's BLM land and there are no houses within hearing distance.

I like the electric racing car idea. How fast would a Tesla Model S go if you removed 80% of the battery pack weight? Of course the car would be pretty useless on the street, but it should only carry enough battery to complete the race.

There are horse racing stadiums inside cities. Lower the noise level enough and the problem is gone. Auto racing is not dead. It is not even sick. It just needs to evolve a little bit.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Now that Burning Man is cancelled, there is a nice Playa available. It's BLM land and there are no houses within hearing distance.

I like the electric racing car idea. How fast would a Tesla Model S go if you removed 80% of the battery pack weight? Of course the car would be pretty useless on the street, but it should only carry enough battery to complete the race.

There are horse racing stadiums inside cities. Lower the noise level enough and the problem is gone. Auto racing is not dead. It is not even sick. It just needs to evolve a little bit.
There were already Tesla race cars in the Pikes Peak hill climb this year. You don't want to remove 80% of the battery- you need those big batteries. But you can get the car pretty light by stripping it down. EVs will get lighter as battery density improves.

https://thedriven.io/2020/09/01/tes...-hill-climb-victories-after-pikes-peak-crash/

Biggest issues with EVs are fires. Of course gas powered cars can catch fire, but EV fires are nearly impossible to put out. Some of the local tracks here ban EVs for that reason.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
well the bigger question is, why do you need such a loud exhaust in the first place?
We have had to deal with restrictions in automotive racing world for safety, some emissions, yet other rules on fuel consumption, is it mostly around 'where does it end', that it is a problem?

Obviously engine noise is the next issue after someone solves the loud exhaust issue...so the latter of my list seems to be the answer?

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
well the bigger question is, why do you need such a loud exhaust in the first place?
We have had to deal with restrictions in automotive racing world for safety, some emissions, yet other rules on fuel consumption, is it mostly around 'where does it end', that it is a problem?
Many factory stock performance cars have issues with some of the noise restrictions. It's not always easy to get a car within the limits. Too much muffler can cause thermal management issues in addition to reduced power.

·
Premium Member
43,981 Posts
hang on, let me move to near a track that's been there for decades and then complain. it's like the morons that buy a house 5 miles from a major airport and complain of noise. gtfo

- - - Updated - - -

hang on, let me move to near a track that's been there for decades and then complain. it's like the morons that buy a house 5 miles from a major airport and complain of noise. gtfo

how many races are going on after 10pm at night anyways?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Electric racing only. Put in a Supercharger and high output CCS charger on prem. There's a growing market for these types of facilities, not sure it's completely enough to sustain a large venue but, the group out in CA seems to be doing well running 12-15 events a season.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
4,124 Posts
how many races are going on after 10pm at night anyways?
Depends on where you are. Our local drag strip does test and tune on Thursday nights. And it'll go well into the night during the warmer months.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Have Elon Musk build a BORING Company race track under the city. Problem solved, except for spectator viewing, and the covid among other things. lol

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
NED does "jet cars under the stars" so they have events at nite. They've been open for over 50 yrs. Used to be alone by itself, but a developer built condo's nearby. Residents complained. They made some concessions.

When I was looking for a house, I would frequently go by a potential home to take a peek before visit with the realtor. At one place while viewing curbside. Heard constant planes flying overhead, then it would be quiet for awhile. It was directly in the flight path of an airport about 3 miles away. Quickly crossed it off my list. Did the same with another one close to a highway, from the front curb you could hear the Interstate non stop . Hwy was next to property separated by a fence and about a 6 ft stretch of trees.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts