VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
With racetracks being privately owned and on private property, it will always be a battle between private landowners. Same with shooting ranges, and industrial facilities (mines, manufacturing, etc), and anything else that generates noise/dust/light/or any other disturbance.

Potential solutions:

Racetrack owns enough land around it to create such a large buffer that nobody is close enough to complain.

Racetrack enters into legal agreements with all neighbors before construction (lease, easement, etc).

Racetrack becomes a municipal entity with the protection of local government.

Racetrack implements serious noise restrictions on cars.

Racetrack cuts operating hours significantly.

Racetrack gives zero effs and does what it wants until it gets in trouble.

???????

Racetrack shuts down.

Note: I'm in the urban/suburban PNW, and people LOVE to complain here. I've seen issues like this happen at every local track, and shooting range, and industrial facility, as development pushes closer and closer to what used to be rural areas. Some places survive, some don't.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It's not just noise- encroaching development also tends to cause the racetrack itself to sell out. They start out in the boonies but end up on prime real estate. We recently lost Texas World Speedway (North of Houston) due to housing development. Long story short, the race track had a tax value of around $8 million and the housing development had an anticipated tax value of $300 million. Guess which one the city preferred to have?
I wonder if race tracks with "car condos" are the answer? M1 Concourse in Michigan has dozens (maybe over a hundred?) of them, and some of them are worth $1M+. That must generate some juicy tax revenue for the local municipality.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i live close to an 1/8 mile oval. I love it, the sound helps me relax when they have night events. On the other hand, I see why it bothers people - too bad so sad. Track was there way before the homes were. My in laws live 5 miles from the local dirt track. Friday nights you can hear that roar for miles.

Laguna Seca solution seems like good compromise. What I don't get is, it is so far from the highway and the roads leading to it suppress the noise fairly well. Who's complaining? The mansions? I bet they didn't complain when helicopters were flying in and out when it was still a military base not to long ago. Oh wait, they weren't there at the time, they came after the military left. This reminds me a home owner that built his house overlooking the Altamont racetrack. His complaint, "there wasn't that many events when I moved in".

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
hang on, let me move to near a track that's been there for decades and then complain. it's like the morons that buy a house 5 miles from a major airport and complain of noise. gtfo
Yep, happens all the time. For many years I could hear Capitol Raceway Dragstrip in MD from my home and all the new people moving to the area would complain about the 4-5 hrs of 5-10 sec noise on Saturdays. I think they complained more about that, which wasn't that bad b/c it was ~4 miles away than their own 10 hrs a week in their DC or Balt commute.

Same for going to an outdoor amphitheater to hear a band in the summertime and learning they need to be off the stage before 10PM due the noise restrictions from the neighborhood that was build nearby, despite the concert venue being there for 40+ years.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,727 Posts
I'm no fan of the NIMBY types, and racetrack closures are frustrating as !%#!.

But also, no reasonable person needs to run straight pipes. It's not like plenty of categories don't' have a spec or inlet restrictor or something anyway. No reason there can't be a spec muffler that passes some uniform dB test. SCCA already has a max solo level of 100dB; IANAL, but if they made some uniform test (a la NIST or CARB) and level that passes at Laguna Seca and LRP, I think it would be easier to fight any additional noise ordnances that pop up. 100dB is too much, and some person holding a dB meter in a flag station isn't rigorous enough a measurement.

Basically, we could throw the book at the NIMBY types...if we had a book to throw.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I bought a house last year. I saw a few interesting ones near a local dirt track. I elected to live elsewhere. Too bad more Karens can't just do that.
I don't see a solution if the track is in the path of suburban expansion with the inevitable growing population who's happiness and tax money eventually outweighs the tax money from a local track that used to be the only thing around.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
My moms uncle opened a dirt track raceway up in 1956 and constantly battled local residents on noise, dust etc. until he passed away in the early 00's. He built it on farmland, it started getting developed in the 90's and soon after complaints started rolling in. The track finally closed and was demolished a few years back because of completely unrelated circumstances. But overall, I agree with your point of view.

On an unrelated but related note, I work in construction/development and for some stupid ass reason everyone in my city has started building and moving into an industrial district. Most of the industry has since moved to other parts of town and cashed out on their real estate, but two large chicken processing plants remain. Literally every time I'm in the land development and permitting office I hear people bitching about the smell and when is the city going to make them move. They've been there for years, and most of their employees come from the nearby communities and rely on bus transportation. It kills me, people are so stupid.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
And an aspect that nobody really talks about...

If you want to blame anybody for this happening, blame the city and county planning offices for zoning property the way they do. Allowing new residential zoning gives property owners residential rights, which includes a reasonable expectation of residential enjoyment of their property. It's a very unfortunate side effect of urban sprawl.

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
And an aspect that nobody really talks about...

If you want to blame anybody for this happening, blame the city and county planning offices for zoning property the way they do. Allowing new residential zoning gives property owners residential rights, which includes a reasonable expectation of residential enjoyment of their property. It's a very unfortunate side effect of urban sprawl.
In Leesburg, there are new homes being built across the street from a rock quarry -___-

I don't know if it's still in operation, but it doesn't look abandoned.

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
18,978 Posts
I don't understand the residents. When I bought my new house, I had a disclosure stating that there was a rifle range 1 mile from my house, and an Army base 15 miles. (not to mention a train station and an EMS/Fire station across the street. No one can claim they didn't know. There should be zero Fuchs given to the residents when they move to an area with an established track, but sadly, courts always seem to side with them.

·
Premium Member
42,321 Posts
I don't understand the residents. When I bought my new house, I had a disclosure stating that there was a rifle range 1 mile from my house, and an Army base 15 miles. (not to mention a train station and an EMS/Fire station across the street. No one can claim they didn't know. There should be zero Fuchs given to the residents when they move to an area with an established track, but sadly, courts always seem to side with them.
because cars are evil, duh

/s

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
That's because the law is on their side in most cases. If you don't like that, work to change the law.

Again, it boils down to zoning property as residential that is close to property zoned as industrial. If a person buys property that is zoned as residential, they have a reasonable expectation that the property can be enjoyed as a residence.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,786 Posts
That's because the law is on their side in most cases. If you don't like that, work to change the law.

Again, it boils down to zoning property as residential that is close to property zoned as industrial. If a person buys property that is zoned as residential, they have a reasonable expectation that the property can be enjoyed as a residence.
At the same time if they are looking at a property they know FULL WELL is next to an industrial section and they are going to hate the noise, they can simply elect to look elsewhere. It's not that hard!

Yes, the property might be a nice house at an incredible priced. But that incredible price is DUE to proximity to something not as desirable. Don't move in and then complain about something already there, regardless of zoning.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
At the same time if they are looking at a property they know FULL WELL is next to an industrial section and they are going to hate the noise, they can simply elect to look elsewhere. It's not that hard!

Yes, the property might be a nice house at an incredible priced. But that incredible price is DUE to proximity to something not as desirable. Don't move in and then complain about something already there, regardless of zoning.
I fully agree with you. When I'm house shopping, I try to go at different times and listen to the sounds/sights/smells that are in the area. It's a due diligence thing for me.

BUT...

This isn't legally required, and a new property owner has just as many rights as an existing property owner. Very few things can get "grandfathered" into into compliance these days. It's a complicated situation.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
People will still move beside the racetrack and complain about the high pitched whining sound.
Electric race cars generally are around 80 dB. Thats gonna still make people mad.

We had a race track/drag strip here in Manassas that was around long before I was born. They built a townhouse community and the track moved within a decade. Its now down in Thornburg Va right off 95.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
In Leesburg, there are new homes being built across the street from a rock quarry -___-

I don't know if it's still in operation, but it doesn't look abandoned.
You should take a hard look sometime at how difficult it is to STOP a landowner from doing basically whatever they want to do with their property. The reason all those farms out there are now subdivisions is because is freaking impossible to stop them from a governmental level in Virginia. If you want a history as to why look at Cecil Hylton and Dale City, Va. I ain't typing it up here.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,727 Posts
On an unrelated but related note, I work in construction/development and for some stupid ass reason everyone in my city has started building and moving into an industrial district. Most of the industry has since moved to other parts of town and cashed out on their real estate, but two large chicken processing plants remain. Literally every time I'm in the land development and permitting office I hear people bitching about the smell and when is the city going to make them move. They've been there for years, and most of their employees come from the nearby communities and rely on bus transportation. It kills me, people are so stupid.
They bought what they thought they wanted not what they actually wanted. And instead of taking responsibility for it, clearly it must be someone else's fault. :facepalm:

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
You should take a hard look sometime at how difficult it is to STOP a landowner from doing basically whatever they want to do with their property. The reason all those farms out there are now subdivisions is because is freaking impossible to stop them from a governmental level in Virginia. If you want a history as to why look at Cecil Hylton and Dale City, Va. I ain't typing it up here.
Looked it up and learned a bit. Thank you!
Also explains why EVERYTHING in Dale City ends in "Dale" :laugh:

·
Registered
313 Posts
When Byron (then Rockford) Dragway first opened in the 60s, nothing was around.

The track closed for years until it was reopened about 30 years ago. However, a small city had popped up around the track. The track owner played nice by the rules the city laid out saying to be done racing by 6pm and no week nights. But the track was always allowed to race until 11pm on most nights but never put in lights.

After a few run ins with the law about his races going past 6pm, he took them to court and won. They now have a select few Friday night races and some weekend races go until 10 or 11pm.

Sadly, he passed away and the current owner wants to sell. :(

21 - 40 of 104 Posts