VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm curious is the "inspection" will just be to see if the radiator is clipped in, or if there is some updated part and they will be inspecting for the updated part and replacing it if it's not there. I know some have had the radiator initially be clipped in or clipped it back in themselves and still had it fail later.

·
Registered
2022 VW GTI S 6MT
4 Posts
I'm curious is the "inspection" will just be to see if the radiator is clipped in, or if there is some updated part and they will be inspecting for the updated part and replacing it if it's not there. I know some have had the radiator initially be clipped in or clipped it back in themselves and still had it fail later.
I was wondering the same thing. I may still stick with the zip tie fix after the "inspection".

·
Registered
2022 GTI S
3,298 Posts
Seeing as how the potential number of units affected is only 8,038 leads me to believe that they made a change to the radiator. As noted in the original coolant leak thread, people noticed a different looking radiator on some cars which changed how the zip ties needed to be used. I’m wondering if the updated radiator cars require any of the recall work?

I’m almost at 2,000 miles in my car and my radiator is still rock solid. I don’t plan on doing the zip tie mod, especially because this is now a noted recall issue, so getting a loaner and warranty coverage wouldn’t be an issue

I am glad that VW finally recognized this as an issue and issued a recall

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seeing as how the potential number of units affected is only 8,038 leads me to believe that they made a change to the radiator. As noted in the original coolant leak thread, people noticed a different looking radiator on some cars which changed how the zip ties needed to be used. I’m wondering if the updated radiator cars require any of the recall work?

I’m almost at 2,000 miles in my car and my radiator is still rock solid. I don’t plan on doing the zip tie mod, especially because this is now a noted recall issue, so getting a loaner and warranty coverage wouldn’t be an issue

I am glad that VW finally recognized this as an issue and issued a recall
Likely what they did was identify the problem, see if they could come up with a cheap way to fix it, and if not, wait for enough parts to become available to be able to actually fix the problem, and only then issue the recall. They (I'm sure) knew about the problem quite early, but held off on a formal recall till they had a fix.

·
Registered
2022 GTI S
3,298 Posts
Likely what they did was identify the problem, see if they could come up with a cheap way to fix it, and if not, wait for enough parts to become available to be able to actually fix the problem, and only then issue the recall. They (I'm sure) knew about the problem quite early, but held off on a formal recall till they had a fix.
Yep, sounds about right. There is definitely a clear difference in the design of some radiators, so that may have been their remedy. I’m sure it takes time to determine if enough people have experienced the issue, identify the root cause, secure supply chain resources to fix said issue and then start the recall process. Either way, good on VW for taking care of this and not sweeping it under the rug

·
Registered
51 Posts
The notice indicated that they were going to be sending out notifications in November. You likely won't know if you car is affected until then.

Your car would be included in the recall and is in the affected range.

Vehicle 2 : 2022-2023 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI
Vehicle Type :
Body Style :
Power Train : NR
Descriptive Information : The recall population was determined by production records.
The recalled products differ from products that were not included in the recall
because during a specific time period, the radiator have may not have been
sufficiently affixed to the intercooler in the potentially affected vehicles.
GOLF GTI count: 6632
Production Dates : FEB 10, 2021 - JUL 20, 2022
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WVW5A7CD5NW000137 End : WVWZZ7CD5PW100008 ✔ Not sequential

·
Registered
2022 Mk8 Golf GTI S 6MT - Atlantic Blue
163 Posts
Your car would be included in the recall and is in the affected range.

Vehicle 2 : 2022-2023 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI
Vehicle Type :
Body Style :
Power Train : NR
Descriptive Information : The recall population was determined by production records.
The recalled products differ from products that were not included in the recall
because during a specific time period, the radiator have may not have been
sufficiently affixed to the intercooler in the potentially affected vehicles.
GOLF GTI count: 6632
Production Dates : FEB 10, 2021 - JUL 20, 2022
VIN Range 1 : Begin : WVW5A7CD5NW000137 End : WVWZZ7CD5PW100008 ✔ Not sequential
The individual VINs must not be in the database yet. When I searched my VIN it didn't pop up.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Inter coolers are supposed to use ambient air to cool the intake air after the turbo charger heats it up.
It is insane to use engine coolant that is at 200 degrees, in order to try to cool off turbo heated air that is less than 200 degrees.

Not only are air cooled intercoolers much better at cooling, but also can't ever cause a loss of engine coolant.

VW made the same mistake with the Tiptronic transmission, trying to use 200 degree engine coolant to cool a transmission that is only about 90 degrees.

Intercooler - Explained - Bing video

·
Registered
51 Posts
Inter coolers are supposed to use ambient air to cool the intake air after the turbo charger heats it up.
It is insane to use engine coolant that is at 200 degrees, in order to try to cool off turbo heated air that is less than 200 degrees.

Not only are air cooled intercoolers much better at cooling, but also can't ever cause a loss of engine coolant.

VW made the same mistake with the Tiptronic transmission, trying to use 200 degree engine coolant to cool a transmission that is only about 90 degrees.

Intercooler - Explained - Bing video
What are you referring to here?

To my knowledge, the GTI's exhaust manifold is water-cooled. The charge air is cooled by an air-to-air intercooler.

Of course I'm new to the VW world, so maybe I'm mistaken...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There may be more to this recall than just an inspection, my hometown dealer has a GTI on the lot but they can't sell it as this recall has put a stop sale order on it so they're using it as a demo.

·
Registered
GTI MK VIII manual
12 Posts
I just talked to the service manager at my Volkswagon dealership and he is aware of the recall and will "inspect" the radiator - but said that VW does not have a fix for the problem yet.

·
Registered
2013 Audi TT RS; 2017 Audi S6
7,330 Posts
What are you referring to here?

To my knowledge, the GTI's exhaust manifold is water-cooled. The charge air is cooled by an air-to-air intercooler.

Of course I'm new to the VW world, so maybe I'm mistaken...
You're not.. VW has been using water-cooled exhaust manifolds for 10 years

1 - 16 of 16 Posts