VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the turnpike and I hear an explosion on my hood and when I come to a rest area the car was leaking g12 all over the place..

I looked and the blades on the main belt driven fan are all gone! and my new radiator has a hit marks and is definitely been cut and cooland is leaking thru the center...

This is on my 1.8T quattro...
Have you ever seen something similar happen?
what are the chances that the fan clutch went bad and made the blades spin soooo fast that the centrifugal force would break them???
I dont know.. I gotta fix this, but I am at a complete loss as of how this happened and I dont want it happening again.
Give me some ideas so I can get all new part in there.
Help!

Modified by xtremevdub at 3:06 AM 3-29-2008

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Elballoonrat)

Quote, originally posted by Elballoonrat »
mor elikely would be something in your engine bay coming loose and impacting it or something from the road. your sure this wasn't the case?

It ended up being the fan clutch that seized and made the fan spin way too fast and exploded by centrifugal force..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: (Elballoonrat)

Quote, originally posted by Elballoonrat »
mor elikely would be something in your engine bay coming loose and impacting it or something from the road. your sure this wasn't the case?

It ended up being the fan clutch that seized and made the fan spin way too fast and exploded by centrifugal force..
I have had the same happening twice. The first time I replaced the fan and radiator just for it to explode again immediately. I didn’t know the fan clutch was faulty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this happen on my 99 Passat 1.8turbo sedan. I got extremely lucky it didn’t puncture the radiator on mine. There was definitely marks in several places across some of the fins tho. But my driver side hydraulic engine mount tore from old age and wear im assuming. I had dumped the clutch a bit just enough to get a little squeal from the tire and heard a very loud bang. Pulled over and looked to find the fan busted. And half the the width of my 5 month old serpentine belt gone. With the engine cold the fan clutch would spin nicely by hand on mine. So what had happened on mine was the mount broke loose allowing the engine to shift slamming the spinning fan into the core support which acts as the fan shroud. I hope this helps someone lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts