VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been running hotter than normal lately so I took it into the shop to have them take a look. So far they've replaced: both coolant flanges on the block because they had small leaks, the thermostat & the thermoswitch, but it still gets very hot just sitting there. The fan does not come on until it gets close to 235, then it only comes on at low speed which doesn't do much. So, what gives?
Brian

· Registered
18,473 Posts
Re: Radiator fan issues (ButchHusky)

Find another shop.
The temp switch can be verified using an infrared thermometer.
Just aim it at the temp switch and read the value. The fan should come on at the rated temp.
You can also aim it at several spots on the radiator, this will let you know if the rad is circulating coolant. Cold spots indicate blocked passages.
Even temps across the rad indicate proper flow.
Cheers!

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Radiator fan issues (Eric D)

Quote, originally posted by Eric D »
Find another shop.

Fair enough
OK, I assume it's not the thermoswitch which is bad, because mine was working and now a new one doesn't fix the problem so why else wouldn't the fan kick in?
Brian

· Registered
5,868 Posts
the thermostat is NOT the same as the fan switch, the thermostat opens the heater core and circulates coolant, the fan switch tells your fans when to turn on. Correct me if I'm wrong
stock fan switch kicks the fans on at 198 and a low temp is 168

Modified by cryption at 7:13 AM 10-26-2007

· Registered
495 Posts
Re: (cryption)

Check you low ratiator hose it must be hot like the upper ratiator hose, if it is not the case maybe you have a problem with the thermostat, and the coolant in the bottom doesn't reach the temperature to turn on the fan while in top of the radiator the coolant is very hot.

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ugh, just called the garage to see what's up now they're wondering if the head gasket hasn't gone bad

They said when they started it up this morning it was misfiring on one cylinder & it didn't seem like the coolant was circulating properly. I asked if they pulled the plug to see what was going on & they said no, but they'd try it again later and see what happens.
Now, I always thought when your head gasket went, it would be more of a catastrophic failure, could it be something like this?
Brian

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by cryption »
if your headgasket is bad you will be blowing white smoke and have coolant in your oil. I would check it out yourself so they aren't ******* you around

Before I dropped it off I hadn't noticed either and I had been checking. I know these guys aren't trying to screw me over, but I hope they're not taking shots in the dark w/ my wallet.
Brian

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Update from the garage: started again w/ no probs, they didn't notice any white smoke or coolant in the oil, but said the coolant still doesn't seem to be circulating correctly. He said they don't think coolant is getting in the oil, but it might be the other way around. Is that possible? I'm still just dumbfounded about all this...
Brian

· Registered
1,807 Posts

Brian, as mentioned above, jumper the plug for the fan switch and make sure that both low & high speed work. I had low go out on my rad fan. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to replace the fan. Oil getting in the coolant could still be a head gasket (unlikely) or as ABT CUP said, the oil cooler sandwich thingy.
If you have to come here and ask after you have taken it to a shop....time to do it yourself (your 1/2 way there already) or take it to another shop!

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote, originally posted by cryption »
feel the radiator and see if there are cold spots. Sounds to me like gunk in the radiator and cooling system form mixing G11 and G12 coolant.

I did ask if they put the wrong stuff, they said no. I know I sure didn't mix it
I know they didn't spent much time on it today so I hope once they really look at it, they can figure out what's up.
Brian

· Registered
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Radiator fan issues (groesche)

Quote, originally posted by groesche »

If you have to come here and ask after you have taken it to a shop....time to do it yourself (your 1/2 way there already) or take it to another shop!

True, true. I wish I was more mechanically inclined! And I left my Bentley in the hatch so I can't even pour over that to see what it might be. Time to start drinking.
Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.