VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just gone through yet another upper rad hose! Im fed up!
Does anyone know where I can get that ac delete kit so the alternator would not be so close to the hose? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: Radiator hose... (RawNRG 01)

I suppose you are talking about the expensive upper hose that goes to the block and reservoir? How is the alternator causing a problem?? It has a molded "rub pad" that sits on the radiator and should never come close to the alternator, maybe you need to rotate the hose so its more upright, and how is deleting the AC going to help unless you move the alternator down??

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Radiator hose... (silverroco)

Quote, originally posted by silverroco »
I suppose you are talking about the expensive upper hose that goes to the block and reservoir? How is the alternator causing a problem?? It has a molded "rub pad" that sits on the radiator and should never come close to the alternator, maybe you need to rotate the hose so its more upright, and how is deleting the AC going to help unless you move the alternator down??

Yeah dude, it has all of that but the hose still sits about 1.5 inches away from the alternator fan. What happens is the radiator moves from the 2 hold downs, thus pushing the hose close to the fan, which in turn cuts a hole in the hose. I dont know if its the poly bushings, or just bad design on the part of the radiator holds, but its enough already! And ive read that the ac delete puts the alternator away from the upper rad hose because there is one less pulley to worry about. Lemme know if you have any ideas, in the meantime, ill try to come up with pic of the engine bay(whew i think im finished
)

·
Registered
34,583 Posts

My 16v still has the original 1988 hose on it

Don't worry, hopefully it'll be replaced this weekend...but I never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Here is a picture of the hose in question on my car.

Yes there is about 1 1/2" to 2" between the belt and fan. The only way the fan can interfear is 1). the belt is wrong and adjusted to the end so it's closer to the belt, 2). the radiator is flopping around or 3" the engine mounts are so shot (usually the rear mount) the engine moves forward and up?? Most of these are rather rare occurrences, my engine moves maybe 1/2" back and forth. Millions of VW have this arrangement and yours is definitely a rare situation. Check the radiator (is it the correct one for the car??) and the engine mounts.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RawNRG 01 »
What happens is the radiator moves from the 2 hold downs

CLUE ALERT. Correct this and I bet you'll stop chewing rad hoses. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts