VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, a couple of wires came undone behind my radio ( i had to extend the wires) and they are a light blue and dark blue wires. i know that since my car is an 89 jetta that power has to be continuously supplied to the unit (meaning it can turn on with the car off) for the radio to work. thus, there is a couple of wires that need to be crossed, and i'm wondering if these wires are the 2 that need to be crossed. so essentially, i'm asking if i put the light blue wire with the dark blue on both of the wires, will that allow my unit to get power?? thanks.
BTW, its a Sony eXplode unit.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Re: radio doesn't work, help (Atlantonius the IInd)

well most harnesses are the same and the power wire(constant) should be red and the remote wire should be yellow or organe in color this wire is what turns the deck on and off with the red wire hook up to a constant. Now if these wire are coming from you deck the the dark blue wire might be a speaker and the light blue is for power antenna nothing that should affect the radio power. Check fuses and other wires make sure you have none wiht cuts or anything. Hope I help?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Re: radio doesn't work, help (SilverGolf1.8t)

quote:[HR][/HR]well most harnesses are the same and the power wire(constant) should be red[HR][/HR]​
Actually, continous 12v on most aftermarket hu harnesses are yellow.
quote:[HR][/HR]....and the remote wire should be yellow or organe in color this wire is what turns the deck on and off with the red wire hook up to a constant.[HR][/HR]​
The ignition wire (switched 12v) is red.
What you need to do is splice the yellow and red together, then connect that to the cars continous 12v.The continous 12v on the factory wiring harness is usually red with a white stripe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: radio doesn't work, help (Atlantonius the IInd)

Dark Blue? ? ? ?
Red...switched
Yellow...constant
Black...ground
blue....ant power? It is usually a turn on lead for amps
light blue...speaker?
Since your car has a constant anyway, would it even have a switched lead? You should sneak on over to a stereo dealer and look at a harness or even better, go to a book store and look up the wiring harness.

[Modified by Ringo, 10:16 PM 12-5-2001]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts