VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my Mk3 it came with a 5 disc changer in the trunk but no head unit/ radio in the dash, so I decided to pull one from another Mk3 in a junkyard, the one with 5 disc changer control and a cassette deck. after installing it in my car the screen says "safe" whenever the key is in the ignition. I called the dealer and got a code to unlock it but I cannot figure out how to enter the code. when I press and hold a number, nothing happens, the screen only says "safe".
when I hooked up the radio, there were two rectangular plugs, and the antenna plug. not sure if i'm missing some wiring or something.?
any other ideas?? what am I doing wrong here?
Any help is greatly appreciated

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Re: Radio swap troubles (middleman)

First off, it should be a 6 disc changer..
To enter the code in the head unit you need to push the mode and scan buttons at the same time. SAFE goes away and 1000 shows. Enter the code that you have and then press mode and scan again. If it is the correct code the radio will start playing.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Radio swap troubles (77kafer)

Ok, I got the code put in and the radio is now unlocked. The cassette deck works as well, but the disc changer still wont function. And 77Kafer, you were right about it being a 6 disc changer.
After searching around inside the dash I found a square, blue plug that has no corresponding slot on the radio to pulg in to. Is this plug for the cd changer?? if so do I need to buy an adaptor, or hardwire it in?
To make things clearer, there are 2 rectangular plugs and the antenna hooked up and one empty rectangular slot on the top right side of the back of the radio
Sorry for the noob questions.. I am learning

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Re: Radio swap troubles (middleman)

I don't remember the color of the radio end of the changer cable, can you post up or email me a picture of the front of the radio. If it is the correct headunit and it says changer control on it there should be a place for that cable to connect.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Re: Radio swap troubles (77kafer)

You can send or post a picture of the front of the changer also, there were 2 brands of changer, and then there was Bose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.