VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 VW Jetta (5/02 production date). The radio won't operate, and just says "PHONE" all the time (even with key removed). Keeps running down the battery too. Owner's manual is useless (doesn't even mention "PHONE"). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Radio trouble (karleric1)

Double DIN. Took it to the dealer today, since I thought it might need the code. They made me wait 3 hrs and charged me $45 just to tell me that it says "Phone" and that they didn't know what to do. I suggested the $1xx replacement, but they said it would be $600+ !!!! They wouldn't even give me the code after all that. I hate dealers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: Radio trouble (sixty7mustang22)

Just to clarify, the Mute is an Active LOW (to GND), so it would be a short to Ground on the Mute pin that would cause the radio to be stuck in Phone mode. So, if it's not in the wiring (if no Mute wire is populated), then the issue is inside the radio...sounds like that's the case from your dealer analysis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.