VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rain Tray Questions

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  simon_reinhardt 
#1 ·
My GTi lives outside, I have no garage for it. The thin black plastic covers that snap on to cover the rain tray are cracked, somewhat broken, and generally just beat.
I'm interested in hearing from you all if I need these covers. I've seen plenty of pics here of A-1's without these covers, but I'm wondering if they're garage kept.
On the DS, there is a wiring harness connected to a fairly large heat sink. What is this thing? I'm concerned I don't want to get that wet.
Are these snap on covers still available? Are there substitute materials you all use?
Thanks,

#6 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (Big CADDY)

My '82 tray was cracked and while the diesel has no ECU you will get wet inside, especially when you turn on the defroster and proceed to fog up your windshield. Anyway, I repaired mine, it was onl the center raised part around the hook that was cracked. So I wrapped it in duct tape and then coated that with black silicone and it seems to be holding.

#7 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (hammlm)

hammlm, i have access to a lot of VW parts...i'll get you one. not sure of the price....probably around $25-35 but its a must...otherwise things will get messy...especially since the car stays outside. drop me a line CHETVW007@aol.com if you are interested. thanks

#9 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (eurotrashrabbit)

Same here, $15 from the dealer. Also good to have, is the leaf guard. Mine fell apart when I tried to take it out, but I got one from the dealer for like $15. It is white and covers the blower motor so that leaves, tree needles and such don't get sucked into the car.
One question though, will the resistor pack melt the plastic leaf guard if it is resting on it? Mine sits right against the resistor pack.

#10 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (beetlevdubn)

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I'll try to fix and clean mine up, but thanks for the offer, Chet. If I fail miserably, I'll be in touch.
My covers appear to be three seperate (intentionally, not broken-up) sections. Above, people refer to getting "one" from the yard or from the dealer. Is it a kit, or should mine be one contiguous piece?
If someone could post pics of what it "should" look like (including leaf guard that beetlevdubn referred to), that would help.
As usual, thanks to all for the advice.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#13 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (hammlm)

quote:[HR][/HR]
My covers appear to be three seperate (intentionally, not broken-up) sections. Above, people refer to getting "one" from the yard or from the dealer. Is it a kit, or should mine be one contiguous piece? [HR][/HR]​
All A1s had the long center rain tray. Some cars had a smaller seperate peice on the drivers side. I don't ever remeber seeing a cover for the passenger side though.

#14 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (rabbitmania)

hammlm,
I am glad you posted this topic because I have an 83 rabbit gti and my rain tray seems to be in 3 pieces. Is it supposed to be like this or is it better to have a whole continuos one? Also whenever it rains, a little puddle forms on my floor mat (drivers side). Is this coming from the windshield or through the rain tray?

Thanks, George

#17 ·

Don't forget to check the drain tubes at either end of the channel - I wondered why my fan had stopped working and water suddenly poured into the footwell, then noticed the tubes were blocked with leaves - cleaned them out and it was like niagara falls
as the water drained away.
Fan works now - once I'd sprayed the contacts with WD-40

#18 ·

Single piece, two, three. Below is a shot of an 84GTI I just bought. Just beginning the leak hunt, this seemed to be the easiest place to start.
Mine appears to have two pieces. Both are in good shape and don't appear to be torn, cut, etc. In other words they appear have come like this though I'd much rather have a single piece that fills the gutter. But seems like it would block the fresh air flow???

#21 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (1.8Tango)

Is the hook just sticking through a hole in the tray? There is supposed to be a raised, molded in part that is supposed to go over the hook thingy.
It's hard to tell from the pic but maybe that's the passenger side peice I have never seen and you might be missing the center section(?)

[Modified by rabbitmania, 3:25 PM 2-13-2002]

#22 ·

Yup. The hook just comes up thru the rain tray.
I think you're right and that there is one more piece that fits in there to the right of that long piece. That would leave the open area on the passenger side for the inside air intake.
I may just stop by the dealer tomorow and see what they say.

#25 ·

Thanks for the pics, guys. Mine are more like Tango's and less like Beetle's. The one piece looks like it's the way to go.
Another question: the way that molded "hat" fits over the hook...does that mean that the hook is 'just' a supplemental catch? In other words, if the hook had occasion to be used, one would likely be "okay" with the fact that the black plastic got caught? Is it to keep the hood from decapitating the folks in the front seat in a head-on?
And one more question: This bedliner spray I hear you guys talking about. Can you get it in spray bombs, or do you have to run it through a sprayer?
Thanks

#26 ·
Re: Rain Tray Questions (1.8Tango)

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanks for the reply.
It would seem that you are supposed to make sure those two pieces join. But, there is a metal "hook" that the rain tray slides over. I've marked it with an arrow. It can't move from side to side. [HR][/HR]​
There are a couple of variations on the longer piece. You've got one of them, and the other one sits more towards the driver's side. The only things the larger piece has to cover are the resistor pack and the HVAC air inlet. On non-A/C cars, these are in the same spot. You'll notice that, leaf guard or not, the air inlet has a lip to keep water from flowing in. Just keep your drains clear and keep an eye out for any cracks directly above the 2 important thingies.
That hook is there to catch the hood, like the two that hang down at the hinges. You can see it's loop dangling from the center of the hood.

[Modified by simon_reinhardt, 5:33 AM 2-14-2002]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.