VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was messing around with my vag-com and my 05.5 pkg 1 jetta 2.5, and i found a way to raise the rev limiter!!!!
go under instruments [#17(i think)]
and select adaption
read block 35, it should say engine speed threshold at the top above the 4 display areas.
the display areas show N/A
change th stored value from 0-7 7 being the highest.

mine was set to 0 and i used to get a lot of power loss a just above 5K rpm but since i changed it to 7 the car holds power to the redline.
i don't know what other cars are set at but i tried this on my friends 03 gti and it worked on his too. his was also set to 0

Modified by Rh3017 at 10:40 PM 12-2-2006

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: (Rh3017)

Quote, originally posted by Rh3017 »
i thought about that but i figure ive got plenty of time on my warranty and if something happens i can change it back.

And the dealer is gonna go in and pull codes, see an over-rev, and then start asking questions. The limiter is where its at because any higher than that and you will break ****. Besides, the engine doesn't make ANY power up that high, which is why the redline is where it is.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Re: (Torkles)

Quote, originally posted by Torkles »

And the dealer is gonna go in and pull codes, see an over-rev, and then start asking questions. The limiter is where its at because any higher than that and you will break ****. Besides, the engine doesn't make ANY power up that high, which is why the redline is where it is.

bingo.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
Nawwww......

Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »
Makes you wonder why those German Engineers put the Rev Limiter in there to begin with, doesn't it?

....it is obvious that they just picked a low number to annoy americans.....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Re: Nawwww...... (cb1111)

Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »

....it is obvious that they just picked a low number to annoy americans.....

lol.
I forget where I saw it, but back in my days at the dodge boards, somebody pulled out a drag racing simulator where you plugged in your HP and torque curves from a dyno, and based on area under the curve, the program told you where your optimum shift points should be.
It may feel like it's still pulling up top, but you're probably way past optimum.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: Nawwww...... (the s is silent)

Quote, originally posted by the s is silent »
lol.
I forget where I saw it, but back in my days at the dodge boards, somebody pulled out a drag racing simulator where you plugged in your HP and torque curves from a dyno, and based on area under the curve, the program told you where your optimum shift points should be.
It may feel like it's still pulling up top, but you're probably way past optimum.

You can log with vag-com and with some creativity, you can plot shift points based on accel..... oh wait, I think andy already did that and it's on the rosstech.com site.

Oh, and the OP is 100% false. Placebo effect imho.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: Nawwww...... (the s is silent)

Quote, originally posted by the s is silent »
Yeah...that sort of what I was talking about.
Whats OP?

Original Poster, as in the topic creator.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 2.0t runs out of breath right about redline... I can't imagine dragging it out longer! I want to find way to get the "S" mode of the DSG to shift a hair sooner as it loses some acceleration that deep into redline.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: raising the rev limiter using a vag-com (DubbinAgain)

buddy are u chipped, reson i ask is because after i got chipped my tach gets stuck before shifting on S mode...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: raising the rev limiter using a vag-com (contagiouz)

Yeah... this is kinda related to the "if something breaks I'll switch my chip to stock and the dealer won't ever know" myth. Any tech can look and see the operational registers in the ECU and when the boost is higher than allowed, revs and other things past limits... they're going to know.
Don't get me wrong. I'm the first to say mod your car if you want... just don't expect to get it past the dealer like they won't notice.
IMHO... Don

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,955 Posts
Re: raising the rev limiter using a vag-com (NHCowboy)

Chris at PD Performance has his own tuning shop and is a mechanic for VW. He says the dealers are very limited in how they can detect chips. Stop talkin bout **** you don't know

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: raising the rev limiter using a vag-com (NHCowboy)

Yes, I agree about *some* VW techs, I had to go back 3 times before they managed to correctly balance my winter tires.
BUT....does this mod actually do anything?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.