VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rally Build B6 1.8T Quattro

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Bastardchild_5spd 
#1 ·
Opinions on a B6 1.8T rally build? Not many have been done so I’m really considering it😬would definitely enjoy the creativity and content. Got a 05 B6 A4 1.8T Quattro with a 5 speed automatic bone stock with 180k miles on it. Came across the idea with some coworkers and it really got me thinking. Isn’t much content showed for it because Subies pretty much got all the content for rally but think this this should be interesting to learn. Any tips or insight for this process. New to the rally life.

#2 ·
I’m not going to discourage you, but this is a terrible idea. These cars weigh far too much, have poor weight balancing, and a five speed automatic is the worst idea for a transmission you can think of.

Again, without dissuading you too much, I have built a B7 Endurance Car racing car, and have come up against all of the challenges. It’s heavy, it’s under powered, it’s not particularly expensive to fix, weight distribution isn’t so great, it’s not extremely fuel efficient, etc. etc.

The only thing the 1.8 tea would have going for it is the engine is fairly stout.

Find an older Coupe Quattro and swap the 1.8T into it. Anything pre-1995 Audi would be a decent idea. It’s why I own a turbocharged 1990 Coupe Quattro with a 5 cylinder. They’re proper rally cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I’m not going to discourage you, but this is a terrible idea. These cars weigh far too much, have poor weight balancing, and a five speed automatic is the worst idea for a transmission you can think of.

Again, without dissuading you too much, I have built a B7 Endurance Car racing car, and have come up against all of the challenges. It’s heavy, it’s under powered, it’s not particularly expensive to fix, weight distribution isn’t so great, it’s not extremely fuel efficient, etc. etc.

The only thing the 1.8 tea would have going for it is the engine is fairly stout.

Find an older Coupe Quattro and swap the 1.8T into it. Anything pre-1995 Audi would be a decent idea. It’s why I own a turbocharged 1990 Coupe Quattro with a 5 cylinder. They’re proper rally cars.

Honestly I’m not really looking to break records here or anything like that I merely want to enjoy a new experience is all. I’m going to put more power as you know this engine is far under slow and just reliable, I’m going to manual swap it, shed weight, overall enjoy the build. Not gonna be there to win races just set my personal best.

#5 ·
Yeah, the manual swap will help.

It’s a boatload of work shedding weight, then you’re going to have to replace it all with a steel roll cage. I’ve been there.

In all honesty, I would love to see it happen. Like I said, it’s not an ideal platform, but if you want to try to make it work, all the power to you. I’m even happy to share any insight I have found with my build.

I thought I was going to leave mine fairly stock and just keep it low budget, but four years later, it is anything but. There’s no way you will keep it close to stock, it just won’t happen.

#6 ·
Yeah, the manual swap will help.

It’s a boatload of work shedding weight, then you’re going to have to replace it all with a steel roll cage. I’ve been there.

In all honesty, I would love to see it happen. Like I said, it’s not an ideal platform, but if you want to try to make it work, all the power to you. I’m even happy to share any insight I have found with my build.

I thought I was going to leave mine fairly stock and just keep it low budget, but four years later, it is anything but. There’s no way you will keep it close to stock, it just won’t happen.

That’s a fact I can’t leave things stock and boring haha. As always I appreciate the insight regardless.

#7 ·
Audizine has more traffic than here.

The automatic 01V is a garbage transmission.
Subaru has flat engines for weight distribution. You have a heavy pig auto trans and heavy iron block engine slung 50 miles ahead of your front axles. WIth basic A4 power distribution that sends more power forward (understeer) for "safety" and grandmas.

And stubby thick springs with ****ty cheap shocks that have no room to compress and absorb bumps.
Good luck buying rally car suspension. It's $10k+ and from Europe.
Subaru has more support because more Subarus like that are used for rally and competed with supported by the manufacturer.
Audi doesn't even have an LSD in the back. Which some vehicles come with.

Audi did not rally with the B6 or probably even do rally at all in that era/period of time 02-05.
If you lift the ride height for clearance, fitting big tires to safely absorb bumps, and increase suspension compression range, you'll put the CV's at higher angle causing problems. They already tear boots enough as is at stock ride height, and if you have the common tripod joint they are weak.

You are thinking of Audi's from the 1980's that had locking front rear center diffs. Those were actual real legit Audi's.

auto trans will overheat in rally and provide less control which is important to have

You could go twice faster on rough dirt with a bone stock cheap old pickup truck. They already have all terrain big tires, tall skinny springs with compression room, and so on
As well as an actual market for suspension upgrades both cheap and expensive, line-ups from King, Icon, Fox, Elka, OME, ADS, Radflo, Bilstein, etc. - things that do not exist for cars.

#11 ·
Audizine has more traffic than here.

The automatic 01V is a garbage transmission.
Subaru has flat engines for weight distribution. You have a heavy pig auto trans and heavy iron block engine slung 50 miles ahead of your front axles. WIth basic A4 power distribution that sends more power forward (understeer) for "safety" and grandmas.

And stubby thick springs with ****ty cheap shocks that have no room to compress and absorb bumps.
Good luck buying rally car suspension. It's $10k+ and from Europe.
Subaru has more support because more Subarus like that are used for rally and competed with supported by the manufacturer.
Audi doesn't even have an LSD in the back. Which some vehicles come with.

Audi did not rally with the B6 or probably even do rally at all in that era/period of time 02-05.
If you lift the ride height for clearance, fitting big tires to safely absorb bumps, and increase suspension compression range, you'll put the CV's at higher angle causing problems. They already tear boots enough as is at stock ride height, and if you have the common tripod joint they are weak.

You are thinking of Audi's from the 1980's that had locking front rear center diffs. Those were actual real legit Audi's.

auto trans will overheat in rally and provide less control which is important to have

You could go twice faster on rough dirt with a bone stock cheap old pickup truck. They already have all terrain big tires, tall skinny springs with compression room, and so on
As well as an actual market for suspension upgrades both cheap and expensive, line-ups from King, Icon, Fox, Elka, OME, ADS, Radflo, Bilstein, etc. - things that do not exist for cars.
Well this isn’t an ideal chassis to work with because the older was where the money was at. I’m aware of that but I was just looking to do a couple of things non major and have some fun was all. I don’t need this build to be perfect but at least have some fun with it and hopefully not break something major. Don’t need the LSD or the expensive rally suspension I was just looking for possibly a cheaper route outside of rally events you know. Hit a track every now and then, occasionally mud on the track, etc. I love this little car because if the Miata was German it’d be this haha. It’s got it’s flaws and what it’s not good at but things I wanna do to benefit and help the car’s longevity kind of will aid in the rally build too like the manual swap mentioned earlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.