VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...
Why are all the Golf rally cars here the 8V engine?
Do people rally the GTI/16V and are there pros and cons to each?
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Rally Golf - 8V only? (concentric)

Don't the 8v have more low end torque or something like that?
I got the 8v.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: Rally Golf - 8V only? (Hexx)

It is about half and half. some reasons to go 8v some to go 16v. I happen to have found a very nice motor for sell and it met my perfomance requirements. I could car less how many valves it has.
Shopping for a motor by valve count is folly. Unless you are going for a really expinsive gearbox you need a nice broad delivery of tourque and anything over 200hp is basicaly pointless on gravel. Anything more than 150hp will likely meet all your needs.
I won stages (2wd) with my bone stock 8v 105hp motor. The very first time I drove my old golf on gravel I was 1 second down on the Factory Mitsubishi and finished 2nd in 2wd to them on that stage. Do not get focused on HP until you have susspinsion, brakes and gearing.
The other thing, reliabity is key for getting your money out of an event. Stock motors are very reliable.
Derek

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re: Rally Golf - 8V only? (concentric)

I got it on the advice of other rallyists. It is a lower cost engine to maintain. From what I can tell the main advantage of the 16V is the better high RPM torque. Actually, I have seen a fair number of the 16V at rallys.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Initial D!

YEAH! man those guys take racing a little too seriously

but you have a point, Taks mid-80's Corolla smoked that RX7 FD because he's a much better driver. and he's the main character so he has to win..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Rally Golf - 8V only? (Impact_Wrench)

Lol well I was thinking more realistic. Like when what's his face drives the 240sx and impresses the guy owning it. Just means he has a REAL skill to be able to drive any vehicle other than his own.
Just some though

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

less stuff to go wrong with an 8v.
My shell came with one, so that's what I'm rockin.
Until I blow it up by the way.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Hexx »
Don't the 8v have more low end torque or something like that?

Common misconception. Stock 8V vs. stock 16V of equal displacement, the 16V makes more torque across the rev range. The 8V may feel like it makes more down low, but that's only because it makes less up top.
I am using a 16V for my car, simply because it's what I know and I have almost an endless supply of spares. They are just as reliable as 8Vs, but they are more expensive to repair when they do break. Realistically, it all boils down to personal preference, and the best thing you can do to help yourself decide is to drive both.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: Rally Golf - 8V only? (Corren)

I do 8v's mainly because of cost... When i'm trying to figure out what cam to run, and where I should make power, etc, I don't want to buy two every time... Not to mention valve springs, lifters, etc.
I'm not going Derek's route and buying a proper motor from the get go (mainly because I can't afford it).
Setting up a moderately buff 8v is pretty easy (like 130 whp without anything too extreme - just start with ABA or 3A 2.0, a rough cam, some fueling changes, a proper exaust and you're mostly there...)
Also, I used to race 2 stroke shifter karts (150 MPH 350cc 75hp style), and doing your own port work is infinitly cheaper than sending motors of to the gods of 2 strokes for a 10k job... So I'm going to take about 4 or 5 digi & crossflow heads and port them all and then decide which one I like the best and run that... I figure a 150hp pump gas 8v is not out of the realm of possibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts